• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

Nobody's mentioned one of the most important things:

No matter how cheap or used the tool, no matter what route you go (cs, used or new TS, water-driven bandsaw, etc.), DO NOT try to save money on the blade.

Get a very good blade.

Normal consumer thought pattern is: "I spent only x on this p.o.s. tool--no point in spending almost x (or more than x) on the blade."

That may sound logical, but it's a fallacy.

The better the blade (or bit), the more it can overcome the shortcomings of the tool. Sandor Nagisxxxxxx(sp.?) has pointed out in several of his books and articles that in many cases, the problem with an inexpensive tool is not the tool itself but the blade or bit that comes with it or its inexpensive replacement.

His philosophy, in fact, for newbies who aren't sure whether they'll stick with ww (in which case they will eventually upgrade the tool) or not (in which case they'll dump the tool) is to get a low-end tool and a high-end blade.

If the newbie takes the upgrade path, they can retain the high-end blade. If the newbie dumps the tool, it and the high-end blade can be sold separately.

Several of us have touched on this idea in some previous threads and become convinced through experience that it's not a crazy idea.

I'd love to see one of the ww magazines run this kind of test--pitting a low-end saw and high-end blade against a high-end saw with a p.o.s. blade.

With your budget, spending $100-150 on a used saw and $100 on a new blade has a good chance of producing very good results.

Comment

• scoutmasterdave

Thank you all for the replies - this is an excellent forum. Based on your collective advice, I will look for a good contractor saw on craigslist (I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area). It looks like I'll be able to find something in my price range fairly quickly. Other than the BT3xxx saws, which have been recommended by several people, are there any other models I should specifically look for (or avoid) in the used market? Thanks again!

-Dave

Comment

• gwyneth
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2006
        • Bayfield Co., WI

Yet some more advice about buying used.

Before you respond to a single ad on CL, it's a good idea to go back a month or two to scope out the market and familiarize yourself with general availability and prices. It will toughen you up and make you pickier.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
          The Full Monte
          • May 2007
          • Sunshine State
          • BT3000

Originally posted by gwyneth
          Yet some more advice about buying used.

Before you respond to a single ad on CL, it's a good idea to go back a month or two to scope out the market and familiarize yourself with general availability and prices. It will toughen you up and make you pickier.
          This will also let you know if the same saw has been previously offered by the same seller, which is sometimes a warning sign. Also lets you know what the price has been doing, if anything.

Comment

• gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Bayfield Co., WI

Don't forget to budget for a good blade, if not when you buy a used saw, as soon as possible afterwards.

Also, be encouraged by the fact that of all power tools, the table saw is probably the one that is most capable of being upgraded and improved. Aspects of a potential used saw purchase that make good bargaining points (fence; throat plates; lack of miter gauge--that kind of stuff) are not much of a real concern in the longer run, because there is so much scope for adding either shop-built or aftermarket replacements/improvements.

I hope that last paragraph is understandable. The point is that if the model was originally a respectable one, it doesn't have any unfixable defects, the motor is in good condition, and it doesn't look like it'll either start a fire or injure anybody, it can probably be spiffed up considerably.

Comment

• scoutmasterdave

Thanks again for the help, everyone. I bit the bullet and picked up a BT3100 on craigslist for $250. It had only been used once (to size a door) - it looks brand new. Probably could have waited for a cheaper one, but I'm far too impatient for something like that.

Comment

• gwyneth
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by scoutmasterdave
                Thanks again for the help, everyone. I bit the bullet and picked up a BT3100 on craigslist for $250. It had only been used once (to size a door) - it looks brand new. Probably could have waited for a cheaper one, but I'm far too impatient for something like that.
                Welcome to the club!

(And the rules about buying used don't really apply when you find a BT--some of us have done the same thing.)

So you're ready to go. Congrats!

Comment

Working...