X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • professorkev
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2007

Sears followup calls?

I just got a call from Sears , the local store, asking how I liked my tablesaw. Pissed me off because it's a bothersome while I was on the other line. ANyone have them call you before on a purchase?
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

I used to get constant calls from Sears trying to get me to purchase an extended warranty.
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by professorkev
      I just got a call from Sears , the local store, asking how I liked my tablesaw. Pissed me off because it's a bothersome while I was on the other line. ANyone have them call you before on a purchase?
      That is an interesting take on the matter. I think most folks (say around 95.34%) would be very pleased to have a company follow up to make sure a product meets expectation. I actually find this to be exceptional and I am not a touchy feelie, please call me and stroke me type of person.

Now, the minute they try to start selling me something I would be super pissed. But a call for no other reason than to make sure I am happy with a purchase? I think that is pretty solid.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I agree with Jeff, I'd be pleased if they called me after a major purchase to check my satisfaction.

I'd be hacked off if they then tried to sell me something.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gwyneth
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Bayfield Co., WI

I would really like it if they called to sell me the extended warranty...I've been trying to buy it since the month I got my 21829.

About 15 years ago, I saw an Apple III in a Sears outlet store--this was at least five years after Apple stopped making them. It didn't have the operating system or anything, but I still had the stuff. There was a huge sign on it that said: As Is. NO warranty or extended warranty available.

Well, I wouldn't have thought so myself, and it didn't keep me from buying it. I had to sign some extra paperwork saying I understood there was no warranty or extended warranty available.

Guess who called about a month later trying to sell me an extended warranty on it? Yep.

I explained that it wasn't available, which confused the CSR so much she got her supervisor, and I went through the whole drill with her, too, saying I'd love to buy the extended warranty but they couldn't sell it.

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

I'd say it was good PR to check to see if the customer was satisfied. Like others, I'd welcome it. Just don't try to sell me something. If I wanted it, I would have bought it at the store.

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Knottscott
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Rochester, NY.
              • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Ed62
              I'd say it was good PR to check to see if the customer was satisfied. Like others, I'd welcome it. Just don't try to sell me something. If I wanted it, I would have bought it at the store.

Ed
              I'd say I'm in this camp too...
              Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

"Sears" and "Extended Warranty" in the same sentence is a hot button for me. After being disappointed on several Craftsman power tools a few years ago, I had a rather heated exchange with a Sears manager (heated may be too strong, I wasn't nasty or mean..).

After each of my examples of my cheap table saw, router, jig saw, corded drill and cordless drill all dying SHORTLY after the "real" warranty expired, he calmly explained (without looking at me) "You should have bought the extened warranty" before he turned and walked away!! (I haven't seen him in the store since.)

At that point I swore I would NEVER purchase a Craftsman tool again. Well, fast forward to present, and Sears has REALLY turned around. We have all seen the new power tools, which are night and day over their previous lines--I used to call them "Harbor Freight Quality at Delta Prices". Perhaps just as important, Sears customer service is actually real service now--at least locally.

I have since purchased the 10" BS--"Rikon quality at Harbor Freight prices"--well, maybe that's pushing it, but it's a great deal. I felt so dirty doing it

Back to the OP, I wouldn't mind being called for that at all. I think the point of my long-winded post is that, Sears of old would inspire calls for the extended warranty, but today's Sears actually does care about Customer Service.

I CANNOT BELIEVE I am writing this about Sears...
                Joe

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Quite a few years back now (probably 12), I was given a tv for Christmas. I took it back (was a tv/vcr combo) and swapped it for just the tv (didn't trust the combo's as there was a run of bad luck on them at the time).
                  They tried to sell me the extended warranty. I said no.
                  A year later, for a couple of months, I received something in the mail from the "manufacturer" (supposably actually built by Phillips), Trying to sell me an extended warranty, on just the tube. The way the warranty read, left a real bad taste in my mouth.

I then replied back, that this tv, was a gift, to replace my 1960 Zenith, and as they stated (quoted part of the extended warranty), that they were producing such (censored C word), that the tv's WOULD go out just after warranty, if NOT purchasing the extended warranty, that when it did, I would be contacting my states attorney general with a consumer fraud complaint. I also would not be buying from them again, as they admitted to making nothing but (censored C word again).

You really had to read the extended warranty diatribe.
                  In essence, "we produce such merchandise, that if you do NOT buy our extended warrranty, your tv WILL die, and we will not replace or fix it, but you will have to buy a new tv, until its warranty expires"
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Bigbit
                    Established Member
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Southern California
                    • BT3100-1

My son used to work for Sears. The extended warranties were one of their highest margin sales items. They paid 3% commissions to the salespeople and trained them to push the warranties hard. That tells you a lot about the "value" of these warranties to consumers.

The only times I have ever bought these warranties are on complex, high cost electronics: a video camcorder I bought 15 years ago, and presently, my HD-TV. I did not want to risk losing out on a 4-figure investment.

Comment

Working...