• radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Is it okay to buy an older CMS?

Local CL has a Delta CMS on sale :

http://fortlauderdale.craigslist.org/tls/424024753.html

I called him and found out it's a 36-235. A quick search indicates this model is somewhat old, came out maybe in the late 1990s. So is it a bad idea going for this instead of a newer model? Of course price is the primary driver here, but would I have problems down the line making this a dead-weight?

Another thing : are 12" blades much costlier than the 10" ones? The ones I saw start at around $50!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

If the saw hasn't been abused and it's a fair price, a 12" is a desirable size. The blades are more than a 10". Parts for it are more than likely very available, so it really depends on getting a good deal. Sight unseen is difficult to determine its condition.

Comment

• Sawduster
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

The box stores seem to be carrying 12" blades these days, but I don't know what sort of prices they have. A good 10" blade can cost well in excess of $50.

As to the saw itself, if it is in good condition, runs well, moves smoothly, there's no reason not to buy it if the price is right. Don't know what the fella is asking, $85 for the whole kit and kaboodle or what.
      Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
      ~ Thomas Paine ~

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

He said it's got all parts / fence, clamps etc, and that i runs fine. Mebbe I'll just take along a scrap 2x4 to test-cut.

Anybody have a brief list of things I shd check in a used CMS? I have only :

1. Check cable(s) well attached, not frayed (not a big deal?)
        2. Plug it in, see it runs
        3. Make a cut and check the tool does not wobble, the cut is a straight line.
        4. Condition of blade?
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• Greg in Maryland
          Established Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Montgomery Village, Maryland
          • BT3100

Given the universal woodworking passion of ensuring alignment of power tools, I would bring a square.

At 90 degrees, is the blade square to the table? Is the fence square to the blade? Is the fence square to the table? Is the tilt accurate at 45 degrees?

Greg

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Greg in Maryland
            Given the universal woodworking passion of ensuring alignment of power tools, I would bring a square.

At 90 degrees, is the blade square to the table? Is the fence square to the blade? Is the fence square to the table? Is the tilt accurate at 45 degrees?

Greg
            Good point, shall do that - thanks.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

In addition to checking all that, also check the click stops on the table for miter degrees. Swing the table both ways in checking this.There shouldn't be any lateral movement in the arm assembly, or in the motor assembly. If the motor has a braked stop, make sure it actuates. Look for any sparking at the switch. Check the base frame and any part of the general condition of the saw that may have cracks, or splits.

Comment

• Sawduster
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

Most of the angle settings and such are adjustable, but check em anyway as it may be a bargaining tool when it comes time to talk money. Even the lateral wobble is likely to be able to be adjusted out, again for chiseling the seller down in price.
                Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
                ~ Thomas Paine ~

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think small errors in 90 and 45 miter and compound bevel settings are adjustable, I think that smooth operation of the arm and blade guard assy and the miter table swing are key.
                  The fence should be straight, not bent (bring a straight edge for this) at the thin bridge in the center where it vulnerable to damage, and usually they should move in and out (moved back it allows the widest cut, at 90&#176 but moved forward it allows a narrower cut but at up to 45° miter angles.

With universal motors sparking at the switch and or motor brushes is not uncommon.

Blade is not critical except for a price bargaining point.
                  You will want a 80-100 tooth (remember this is 12", 80T is comparable to 60T on a 10") or more blade, that's sharp.
                  You can sharpen a suitable blade for $25-35 but it its got a 30-t blade or something non-suitable, then you'll probably need to buy one, like you said, $50-75
                  Still a 12" CMS is very desirable from the standpoint of cutting capacity.
                  It will take quite a bit of table-top depth in your shop.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • Miramar, FL
                    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks everybody for your help. I bought the CMS from him for $40.

He's a part-time renovator/contractor now using a gleaming Ridgid 12" SCMS, and has not used this Delta for more than a year.

The Delta has all the pieces and even the printed manual (a rarity). The worst I could find in it is that it has a 40T steel blade. So I guess I need to go shopping for a better blade now. That, and ton of dust all over and there's quite some rust in various non-moving parts of the machine - am sure some TLC should cure that. (he being close to the beach, the rust is salt water induced).
                    where do I start for removing rust - WD40?.

The fence is as square as I could check; no sparks; fence is solid material (feels aluminium, tho pretty thick, solid stock). The movement of the arm and the swing is without jerks, though a bit heavy (could be deliberate).

The only problem I see with this model is that it only swings to the left - am sure it should still be possible to do crown moldings in both directions, but maybe have to 'manage' it?

All-in-all, $40 for a 12" CMS is a pretty fruitful days work, methinks.

And yes, you are right loring, this takes almost 28" of front-to-back! Now the bigger challange : surreptiously take this into the shop without the LOML knowing !
                    Last edited by radhak; 09-17-2007, 05:16 PM.
                    - Aristotle

Comment

• cabinetman
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

What is weird is the product description you gave for the 36-235 in your OP says the table pivots 47 deg left and right, with 9 detents. What's up?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Does Amazon have a sale on blades right now...

2-pack 12" 80T+32T Dewalt blades ($53):
                        http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-DW3128P...069347&sr=8-14

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-TK407-Fi...0069619&sr=8-4

lots more
                        Have fun shopping.

Oh, when you say it only swings one way do you mean the bevel cut (blade only leans to the left maybe) - lots of CMS like that, but it does miter +/- 45+ degrees?
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-17-2007, 05:59 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by cabinetman
                          What is weird is the product description you gave for the 36-235 in your OP says the table pivots 47 deg left and right, with 9 detents. What's up?
                          I think (after re-reading the amazon description) it means the table of the saw moving either direction; i somehow thought it meant the saw itself swings either direction for the dual-miter functionality, but obviously that was wishful thinking on my part.

Edit : Actually Loring has explained it much better : the bevel cut is only one direction, but the miter does go both ways.
                          Last edited by radhak; 09-17-2007, 07:02 PM.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

• radhak
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Miramar, FL
                            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            Does Amazon have a sale on blades right now...

2-pack 12" 80T+32T Dewalt blades ($53):
                            http://www.amazon.com/DeWalt-DW3128P...069347&sr=8-14

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-TK407-Fi...0069619&sr=8-4

lots more
                            Have fun shopping.
                            Yes - that's it! Amazon's my friend now. Thanks!
                            - Aristotle

Comment

• Sawduster
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

You ought to try slipping a cabinet saw into the shop surreptisciously. Had to send the LOML on a religious retreat for three days to sneak in the Griz .

Sounds like you got a steal of a deal on that. I was gonna recommend you start at $50 for bargaining. Good thing I left that off.
                              Jerry

~ Thomas Paine ~

Comment

Working...