X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeff_1064
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006

Dovetail Jig?

I am looking for a low cost dovetail jig to use in my high school woodworking classes. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jeff
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

through? half-blind? Length? budget?

might try looking at Wood Magazine web site for issue indexes, i think they reviewed DT jigs in an isuue in the last year
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Looks for 'Dovetail Jig' on ebay - you can easily find some in $40 range. Harbor Freight has one for $50, and it looks very much like the $40 ones on ebay. Only cuts half-blinds though.

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I know it may be a little controversial around here because of a licensing agreement, but have you looked into the Stot's system? Here is a review: http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...smithdove.html and here is the actual site: http://stots.com/tm.htm
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

What is your actual $$$ range. If you are in the super low end, yeah, these 50$ options could be for you. If you are in the 100-200$ range (which is still low end), take a look at the new Leigh super jig 12", or the porter cable 4210/4212
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Bayfield Co., WI

I believe the MLCS system got the highest ratings for low-cost dt jigs in either that article or another.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by gwyneth
              I believe the MLCS system got the highest ratings for low-cost dt jigs in either that article or another.
              this one:
              http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...vetailjig.html

MLCS has free shipping and generaly stands well behind all their products, I have respect for their products and customer service. They have both Though and half blind DT jigs on this page.

and the review was in the March 2007 Wood Magazine.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dkerfoot
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Holland, Michigan
                • Craftsman 21829

Porter Cable 4212 - 12" Dovetail Fixture - $139
                http://www.etoolsrus.com/browse.cfm/4,4406.html
                Doug Kerfoot
                "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                KeyLlama.com

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Good layout tools, a sharp marking knife, dovetail saw, and sharp chisels.

The P-c 12" model has filled my needs in my small shop but itis limited in stock size and without added expense half-blind DT's.
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dkerfoot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Holland, Michigan
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                    The P-c 12" model has filled my needs in my small shop but itis limited in stock size and without added expense half-blind DT's.
                    The 4212 includes half-blind, through and sliding dovetails.

It is the 4210 that only does half-blind (without additional templates)
                    Doug Kerfoot
                    "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                    "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                    KeyLlama.com

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by jeff_1064
                      I am looking for a low cost dovetail jig to use in my high school woodworking classes. Anyone have any suggestions?

Jeff
                      Morning Jeff..

J.M. Patterson taught us as sophmores to cut em by hand in 1962 in the HS WW shop. J.M. has a high end furniture store now at age 68 and when the economy gets a little slow, he has sales as an incentive to move the top of the line factory furniture.

But.. when J.M. himself or some of us from his class put a piece in his store for consignment that includes "hand cut" DT's that don't have the give away of perfect spacing, he makes a few phone calls to his established, high-end, know-ledgeable long time clientele. That usually results in a sale on the piece within a couple of days with the highest bidder gettting it.

Perhaps with the "now" generation appearing in-capable of making change for $1.00 without an electronic cash register or hand calculator, relying on a machine is the accepted norm. Perhaps....

Just a few thoughts from a HS Wood-shop student from the early 60"s...

Regards...

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

For half-blind dovetails, I think the Harbor Freight jig is the way to go, especially with students. It is all metal so it is difficult to damage. The template guide is aluminum so it will not destroy a bit if a student makes a mistake (others are plastic so they are safe, just easy to damage). It is a little harder to setup than some but you can get decent instructions (the ones it comes with are terrible) and then show the students how. If they can set up the HF, they will be able to set up most others.

I've seen the HF as cheap as $30 on sale. That is also what I paid. For an all metal dovetail jig, I do not think you can get anything close.

I could buy any dovetail jig I want and I use the HF. It is not an inferior product for what it does. A little crude in the finishes but it does not hurt the function.

Jim

Comment

• eddy merckx
                          Established Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Western WA
                          • Shop Fox Cabinet

Second on the Harbor Freight jig. You can download the instructions for Rockler's dovetail jig, which is set up the same. Their instructions are extremely thorough and they even have a chart which tells you the fence settings for different widths of boards and diameters of router base. They HF instructions (at least the ones I've seen) are not so useful.

I think you'd have a difficult time killing one of the HF jigs. Most of the components are steel or aluminum. It helps to clean up the edges of the fingers with a little rat tail file. It also helps to wax the top of the fingers to make the router base slide smoothly.

Grizzly sells !/4" templates and some others to fit their dovetail jig for pretty cheap. I'm not sure if they are interchangeable, but they look like they may be.

Eddy

Comment

• JimD
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2003
                            • Lexington, SC.

I bought a Grizzly 7/16 template for my HF dovetail jig. The hole spacing is not exactly the same but is close enough that it works fine.

Jim

Comment

• BrazosJake
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2003
                              • Benbrook, TX.
                              • Emerson-built Craftsman

I have the HF and the only thing your students will learn on it is not to go cheap. I've produced acceptable drawers with mine, after hours of test cuts and adjusting, but still never got it perfectly aligned. The template casting is so rough as to almost be unusable, you could slice a finger open on the edge.

Spend a little extra and at least go with the MLCS.

Comment

Working...