• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sailor
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2003
    • Bel Air, Maryland, USA.

Benchtop Drill Press

My next tool purchase will be a benchtop drill press. A search of the internet and reading several bb's leads me toward a HF model 44846-1vga. The most important factor being the hp of the motor.

The shop where I do my woodworking has 1/3-hp dp. It will not drill hardwood with a Forstner bit of 1-inch and will stall while drilling pine. I tried to make some wheels of white pine (3/4") using a 1-3/4 hole saw and the drill stalled even with very light pressure (slow feed).

Will stepping up to a 1/2 hp drill make a significant difference in performing these tasks?

A 3/4 hp drill is out of the question; the cheapest one I could find is a Grizzly for $300.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Drill RPMs vs HP vs Torque

Well, 1/2 HP is .5 and 1/3 HP is .33 so you are only gaining .17 HP or about 50% increase in torque.
    If it stalled easily with .33 HP, then it won't help a lot with .5 HP
    If you have a Craftsman and it says 1/3 HP (developed) then its really more like 1/6th HP.

Also if your drill is set to a high RPM, then you will lose torque:
    Drilling RPMs are very important, at lower drill RPM speed you have proportionally more torque.
    For a 1" forstner, you probably should be going no faster than 500-600 RPM, maybe slower, I haven't looked at my tables. Not 3000 RPM.

Going from 3000 RPM to 600 RPM will give you 500% increase in torque as well as cutting better.
    Going from 1500 RPM to 600 RPM will give you 250% increase.

Clearly changing drill RPM is cheaper and faster (also less likely to burn) way to increase torque. Many people forget they can change the RPMs.

With my 1/2 HP drill, I can't stall the motor with that size fortner and a slow speed (300-600RPM); the chuck slips well before I can stall the motor.

There are lots of factors to take into account when shopping for a new DP, rather than just power, anyway.
    Speeds, ease of changing speed, swing, quill travel etc. (so says a man on his third drill press, anyway)

Hole saws are tricky to use, they don't have any path to clear the cut so the cut fills with cuttings and you don't cut anymore. Try clearing very frequently or better yet, use this trick: Use a 1/2" drill, forstner or even a twist drill to cut a hole on the waste side (outer if you are making wheels) so that this relief hole just intersects the kerf of the hole saw but does not go past the kerf. As you drill the hole saw then the cuttings will fall into this hole and clear the cut, making it so much easier.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-12-2007, 09:43 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

I have the Ryobi DP120 and it has done everything that I have needed it to do.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Tom Slick
        Veteran Member
        • May 2005
        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
        • sears BT3 clone

I have a 44836-1vga and it works pretty well for anything I need it to do. it is not a powerhouse but it will drill clean holes.
        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• steve-u
          Established Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Bartlett, Ill.
          • Ryobi BT 3100

Unfortuneatly it is very hard to compare motor capacity from one brand to another or even in brands sometimes. Comparing amp rating would also be something to do. If you really want something beefier HF sells the ITEM 38142-7VGA which claims 3/4 HP and 125lbs as a benchtop for regular price of $195 though often on sale for down to $149 which could be a great deal if you have a HF nearby particualry if you also score a 15 percent off coupon while it is on sale. I have not used that model myself but most HF drill presses are pretty well regarded.

Steve

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

On a different note, you mentioned Forstner bits - in addition to the power that you are asking about, you need to consider the speed. Most bench tops are 4 to 5 speeds and they do not go slow enough if you are using 2 inch and larger bits. I think, IIRC, that for up to 2 inches, 500/700 RPM or there about is OK, but for larger ones, you need to be able to go down to 250 to 300 RPM. For this you will need to look for at least a 10 speed.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• eezlock
              • Feb 2006
              • Charlotte,N.C.
              • BT3100

benchtop drill press

I have the Wilton 10" #99170 for over 2 years and it handles everything I throw at it with no problem. A good solid machine a big step up from the little
              junker machine that I first bought from Northern Tools. eezlock

Comment

• gwyneth
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Bayfield Co., WI

I've got the littlest Delta model--8" quill, not made anymore, not big enough for mortise attachment. I want to say it's 1/8HP but it may be 1/5.

It has never had too little power--does the hole saw, does hardwood (handled two stacked white oak 4/4), does big forstners.

I'd check out your pulleys and belt because if my puny Delta has enough power, yours shouldn't be that far behind.

Comment

Working...