X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dabeeler
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Good review here on both Delta and Jet table saws.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/index.html

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Dustmight
      Hi Rags! I had a nice contractor saw for a couple of years. I'd agree that the space issue isn't always a huge factor, and could be a non-factor depending on your space situation...it could be a bigger factor for storing against a wall, etc. Space issues are just one of the several challenges that the outboard motor causes...DC is another as you mentioned. Alignment concerns, longer belt, keeping a clear path for tilting, etc., all just go with the territory. For me, those nuisances all add up to a "why the heck does this thing have to be where it is?!" My stance in favor of the hybrid design stems from the fact that the outboard motor has no key advantages over an enclosed motor, but the inboard mounting poses several.

In this case, I think Bill Biesemeyer heavily influenced the vote! Walking away from a Biese and cast iron in favor of an Align-a-Right and steel is a tall order...

Hi,

I agree with your view. However, if I did not own a C-Man 22114 Hybrid I'd be all over that Delta for that price with that fence. If I didn't like it I could see selling it for more than that even in a year or two. The cast iron wings would make the decision for me. Now if that Jet had CI wings...........
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• JaiPea
        Forum Newbie
        • Feb 2006

Tablesaws generate dust, dust and more dust.... The BT is enclosed, the Jet is enclosed, the Delta isn't. No matter how good a buy the Delta is, it is a lost cause when it comes to protecting your lungs and that eliminates it for me.

That said, the Delta with Biesemeyer fence is a great deal.

If you need to move the saw to work with it, then the Sears/BT lets you wheel out to the driveway and stores compactly.

I can justify any one of them against the others. However, keep in mind that if you use a miter gauge, plan on spending at least $100 more if you buy the Delta or Jet because theirs are junk. The Sears/BT sliding fence means you do not need one.

There is no winner here, all are good choices. You have to rank the things that matter to you in priority, then compare the features against that list.

Comment

• JaiPea
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2006

Check out the thread at http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=32732, where the Sears/BT cost only $258.

Maybe you can get a similar deal and affect your economics.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

I looked at the Delta, again this morning. It's the cost of it previously, plus the nonfree shipping cost. LOL
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• sparkeyjames
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Redford MI.
              • Craftsman 21829

The only thing I can really add to this is.. Try and fold up one of those cast iron behemoths and put it in the back of your truck/suv/van. If you need portability or have limited space then get the Sears BT Clone. If you want to put it in a shop and rarely move it then it's a toss up between the other 2 contenders.

Comment

• Shipwreck
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by JaiPea
                Tablesaws generate dust, dust and more dust.... The BT is enclosed, the Jet is enclosed, the Delta isn't. No matter how good a buy the Delta is, it is a lost cause when it comes to protecting your lungs and that eliminates it for me.

That said, the Delta with Biesemeyer fence is a great deal.

If you need to move the saw to work with it, then the Sears/BT lets you wheel out to the driveway and stores compactly.

I can justify any one of them against the others. However, keep in mind that if you use a miter gauge, plan on spending at least $100 more if you buy the Delta or Jet because theirs are junk. The Sears/BT sliding fence means you do not need one.

There is no winner here, all are good choices. You have to rank the things that matter to you in priority, then compare the features against that list.

The Delta dust collection works very well. I do not get any more dust on the floor with the 36-979 , than I did with the Hybrid that I just sold. Yes the back of the saw is open.

The new "Sears BT clone" is just about as flimsy and cheap as the BT3100 was. Wonderful innovation........... put together with junk components.

You will have the Jet or the Delta for a long time. Buy the clone and you will be on here looking for repair parts from your fellow woodworkers.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                  cycling to health
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                  • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Shipwreck
                  The Delta dust collection works very well. I do not get any more dust on the floor with the 36-979 , than I did with the Hybrid that I just sold. Yes the back of the saw is open.

The new "Sears BT clone" is just about as flimsy and cheap as the BT3100 was. Wonderful innovation........... put together with junk components.

You will have the Jet or the Delta for a long time. Buy the clone and you will be on here looking for repair parts from your fellow woodworkers.
                  Tool snobbery is really not needed here! There is plenty of factual evidence that suggests that your opinions about the Ryobi BT3 series of saws and the Craftman branded Ryobi BT3 saws is just simply not truthful. Not only are the BT3 saws long lasting but also have quality construction! Given proper care and periodic matenience they are just fine for a weekend single user shop. They have also been used in a commercial setting with satisfactory results. My 9 y.o. BT3K is still servicable and still makes clean accurate cuts! I've had to only actually purchase one part since the warrenty expired.
                  Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• lebomike
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Pennsylvania
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Where are guys getting these prices. I just looked at Amazon and the Delta 36-979 without fence-$479.99,
                    The Jet # 708100- $559.99.

???????
                    "The power of kindness is immense. It is nothing less, really, than the power to change the world."

Comment

• Knottscott
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2004
                      • Rochester, NY.
                      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by lebomike
                      Where are guys getting these prices. I just looked at Amazon and the Delta 36-979 without fence-$479.99,
                      The Jet # 708100- $559.99.

???????
                      This thread originated last Fall when there were a couple of good sales going on the bigger saws.....they're long gone now... But there are and will be others!
                      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • Montgomery, AL.
                        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Okay, old thread, but I'll put in my $.02.

I bought the Delta at Lowe's for $429 + tax after getting graduation and Christmas money. I had bought the Bies as part of the clearance earlier last year. The little I've done so far, I have been happier with the Delta than my old BT3. The BT3 was fine, but I just like the fact that the Delta sits lower (I have very short legs in proportion to my height), is heavier and takes the Bies fence. I had no problems with the BT3, just never seemed to "fit" for me.
                        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Shipwreck
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                          Tool snobbery is really not needed here! There is plenty of factual evidence that suggests that your opinions about the Ryobi BT3 series of saws and the Craftman branded Ryobi BT3 saws is just simply not truthful. Not only are the BT3 saws long lasting but also have quality construction! Given proper care and periodic matenience they are just fine for a weekend single user shop. They have also been used in a commercial setting with satisfactory results. My 9 y.o. BT3K is still servicable and still makes clean accurate cuts! I've had to only actually purchase one part since the warrenty expired.
                          First of all, I am not a tool snob. I own tools from the cheapest manufacturers out there. I have had great results from some pretty cheap tools. As far as not being truthful? This forum is full of dead BT3's being parted out. I made my opinion based on facts.

I looked forward to owning the BT3. But after a couple of weeks, I found some things that were going to be problematic for me.

1. TOO LIGHT : I found that ripping sheet goods,.... or just ripping a 2x4 would cause the saw to move. (not safe)

2. KICKBACK PAWLS : Tilting the blade would often cause them to stick/jam. (not safe)

3. NOISE: The higher frequency sound that the motor gave off, was definately annoying.
                          I moved the saw to the driveway more than a few times.

4. ADJUSTMENTS: Every time I moved the saw...........the sliding miter had to be adjusted afterwards (flimsy)

5. PLASTIC: Way too much plastic.

6. Durability: Will this saw last 30 years? I can't picture it. For another 200-300, you could buy a saw that does.

The new Craftsman is just as light, and the stand is very flimsy. A fairly light touch will make it wobble. Please dont take my word for it, .... check it out for yourself. A saws base is just as important safety wise as the rest of the machine.

Like I said, the BT-3100 was innovative. If they would have used better quality material, they could have taken over the market. But it is what it is.

I did not make the first post to pick a fight. They guy was aking for opinions.... and I gave him a HONEST one!

V/R ............JL

Comment

• Black wallnut
                            cycling to health
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                            • BT3k 1999

First of all, I am not a tool snob. I own tools from the cheapest manufacturers out there. I have had great results from some pretty cheap tools. As far as not being truthful? This forum is full of dead BT3's being parted out. I made my opinion based on facts. Many are parted out for the simple fact that the sum of the individual parts has exceeded the whole in price.

I looked forward to owning the BT3. But after a couple of weeks, I found some things that were going to be problematic for me.

1. TOO LIGHT : I found that ripping sheet goods,.... or just ripping a 2x4 would cause the saw to move. (not safe) Subjective judgment, perhaps the wrong tool for the job. Re-sizing sheet goods can be unsafe with any tablesaw. That said I've done it plenty of times and the weight of my saw did not make any difference. Infeed and outfeed support did, just as it would with a larger cabinet saw.

2. KICKBACK PAWLS : Tilting the blade would often cause them to stick/jam. (not safe) So many have dispensed with the OEM guard assembly in favor of the excellent Shark Guard that Lee has been able to quit his day job and go full time making Sharks! Better design that negates the issue!

3. NOISE: The higher frequency sound that the motor gave off, was definately annoying.
                            I moved the saw to the driveway more than a few times. My shop vac and even my totally enclosed table mounted router is louder. My G0555 BS also makes enough noise that I wear hearing protection while using it. In a wood shop if it has a cord the user should be wearing some type of hearing protection IMHO so noise might not be that big of an issue.

4. ADJUSTMENTS: Every time I moved the saw...........the sliding miter had to be adjusted afterwards (flimsy) I've never had this happen. Many others also say they have never had this happen.

5. PLASTIC: Way too much plastic. Subjective opinion, BTW it is not plastic it is glass filled resin, still durability has not been a problem for me.

6. Durability: Will this saw last 30 years? I can't picture it. For another 200-300, you could buy a saw that does. Heck I'm almost a third of the way there now! I know many who purchased theirs before I bought mine. I suspect that mine would last for at least thirty years. My '88 Samuri is still on the road and has not fallen over yet!

The new Craftsman is just as light, and the stand is very flimsy. A fairly light touch will make it wobble. Please dont take my word for it, .... check it out for yourself. A saws base is just as important safety wise as the rest of the machine. I'll agree with part of your assessment of the collapsable stand. I would not want one. However there are many happy users on this board that have not expressed any problems with the stand. For many the small space it takes up when stored is far more important than stability. Given a good solid level surface I'll bet it is stable enough.

Like I said, the BT-3100 was innovative. If they would have used better quality material, they could have taken over the market. But it is what it is. If they would have used higher priced materials they would not have taken over the market. They would have priced it above what many could afford! Aluminum alloys are used to build all sorts of things, airplanes, high dollar fishing reels, automobiles, guns etc. Universal motors are used in plenty of shop tools, if big induction motors were so superior then why is not everyone using shapers? Perhaps it is the use of glass filled resins that you think are poor quality. "Plastic" has been used as bearings where steel or iron will not work so surely that's not the material you feel is poor quality.

I did not make the first post to pick a fight. They guy was aking for opinions.... and I gave him an HONEST one!

V/R ............JL
                            I'm not trying to pick a fight either I just happen to strongly disagree with all your opinions. They simply have not been my experience or the experience of many others that post on this forum. The OP did ask for subjective judgments and you provided yours, hey thanks for that!

The BT3 saws have never been for everyone. They do require the user to use care as just about any precision instrument, which they are. The SMT when properly aligned and adjusted is inherently more accurate than any OEM miter guage that I have ever seen. The OEM rip fence is functionally equivelent of even the best aftermarket rip fences in that if properly aligned and adjusted it is true and will guide the workpiece straight into the blade anywhere along the rail. There are plenty of options these days for good quality table saws on the market. If I had to choose again I'm not sure I would go with the sears version. As many times as I've moved since I purchased my BT3K the light weight has been a blessing. When I bought it I had a 9' x 12' interior room in which to do woodworking so a full size cabinet saw simply would not have been in the cards.
                            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Shipwreck
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Mar 2005

Bt - 3100

Say what you like. We could go back and forth with this all day long. But we might miss out on the next (smoked my motor- parting out my BT) sale going on over in the classifieds.

Comment

• 91FE
                                Established Member
                                • Dec 2005
                                • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

...The new "Sears BT clone" is just about as flimsy and cheap as the BT3100 was. Wonderful innovation........... put together with junk components....

Classy. You're not going to make many friends around here talking like that.
                                I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

Working...