Replacement blades for Craftsman jointer (rant)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Replacement blades for Craftsman jointer (rant)

I bought the Craftsman 6 1/8" joiner, 351.217880, about 3 years ago. About a year ago, I bought some replacement blades, 9-22994, at a Sears Hardware store when I was visiting relatives in the Chicago area.

I tried to replace the blades today but can't. The replacement blades do not have the holes in the blade for the jack screw.

Now, I am stuck with a jointer with dull blades, replacement blades that won't fit, and probably no one in town that can sharpen the old blades.

I checked the receipt and it says ' Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back'. Think I will take the jointer and the replacement blades and see if I can get my $$ back or a new jointer.

Ken
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

www3.sears.com (the parts website)
    has your jointer (benchtop model) and parts diagram
    18457.00 blades set of 2 are listed for about $16.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Garasaki
      • Sep 2006

And there are lots of places to send your blades for sharpening, although you will have to deal with turn around time.
      -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
      -Henry Blake

Comment

• lago
        Established Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Lago Vista, TX.

I already have replacement blades and the stock # matches the number listed in the jointer manual. I am a bit leary of ordering another set and finding out that it is the same. Being on dial-up, the parts diagram does not finish downloading. Having broadband installed at this minute and I will check later today.

I did find two places in town that will sharpen the blades. One place is about an 90 mile round trip. The other has a local drop off but the turn around time is one week. Guess I put my project on hold for the time being.

Ken

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by lago
          I already have replacement blades and the stock # matches the number listed in the jointer manual. I am a bit leary of ordering another set and finding out that it is the same. Being on dial-up, the parts diagram does not finish downloading. Having broadband installed at this minute and I will check later today.

I did find two places in town that will sharpen the blades. One place is about an 90 mile round trip. The other has a local drop off but the turn around time is one week. Guess I put my project on hold for the time being.

Ken
          Hey Ken, most Ace, Home Depot or Lowes or Sears Hardware and probably most other mom and pop HW stores deal with a few sharpeneing services and will accept tool items to be sharpened - including saw blades, router bits, planer knives - on a one-week turn basis. E,g, the shop picks up and delivers once a week. I know all the HW stores round here use the same service (the price schedule and illustrations are exactly the same) but it doesn't say what shop it is.

if you hit the day just right it could be back in 7 days... but more likely it'll take 8-14 days to get it back. You're down south of Houston, it's probably the same shop your local pickup guy uses, too.

BTW, the exploded parts illustration showed 2 knives each with four round holes and two rectangular holes (I assume for the jack screws?).
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-04-2007, 11:23 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ken Massingale
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Liberty, SC, USA.
            • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by lago

Ken
            Sears parts is soooo screwed up. I have the 152.217060 jointer and ordered knifes for it several months ago online. At that time the part number listed was 922995, (I printed the parts list at that time) which I received. Your post made me check that I have the correct one, I haven't had to change them yet.
            The manual says the part number is 922295, not 922995. I check online again and it now says OR90214!

I called Orion and spoke with a nice lady who was as confused as I and finally offered to send the correct set at no charge instead of trying to figure how Sears messed this up so badly.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
              Sears parts is soooo screwed up. I have the 152.217060 jointer and ordered knifes for it several months ago online. At that time the part number listed was 922995, (I printed the parts list at that time) which I received. Your post made me check that I have the correct one, I haven't had to change them yet.
              The manual says the part number is 922295, not 922995. I check online again and it now says OR90214!

I called Orion and spoke with a nice lady who was as confused as I and finally offered to send the correct set at no charge instead of trying to figure how Sears messed this up so badly.

Your current ones, may or may not be correct. Sears does change suppliers, and parts numbers do change (evidenced in red on the parts site). Might be worth holding the package above your blades to check the screw pattern.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Sawduster
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Cedar Park, TX, USA.

Ken,
                Don't know if you've tried the service that Woodcraft in Austin uses, but that might be an option. I've not used them and I understand that each Woodcraft searches out its own service for sharpening. I sharpen my own handsaws and other handtool blades and have just basically replaced the blades for my tailed jointer and planer. Not sure you'll get more than one sharpening out of the jointer blades.

The Sears at Lakeline Mall carried the blades that fit my 30 or 40 year old Craftsman jointer, so you might check there for new ones.
                Jerry

\"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.\"
                ~ Thomas Paine ~

http://www.sawdustersplace.com

Comment

Working...