• Show
Clear All
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

freestanding router table height?

What is the height of your router table? Do you ever wish it was a different height?

I am getting ready to build mine, and can't decide on the height. I keep thinking about either using square steel tubing (with the holes in it), or some 2x's with a slot cut in them for adjusting the cabinets height.

Thanks
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.
  • Red88chevy
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Midland, Texas.

I have a Benchdog table top router table. Sitting on a normal size work bench makes it too high, so I put it on a little stand for the time being. It makes it around 41 inches tall, which is 5 inches higher than my work bench, but I like it as I'm near sighted, don't have to lean down to see the work. I think an inch or so either way would not make much difference.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

mine is 38.5" or so, same as my BT3 on mobile base.
      I wear bifocals so I like the fine work closer to me.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• linear
        • May 2004
        • DeSoto, KS, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

I went the same as my TS top, mainly so I could have outfeed support for a long piece.
        --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

This is a most timely question, for me.

My current router table is 37" high, and I like that height just fine. Before I retired my BT3100, I used its accessory table as a secondary router station. A severely sloping slab put that end of the saw almost 39" above the floor, and I liked that height just fine, too.

Having recently (a) moved into larger quarters and (b) purchased a cabinet saw, I have been noodling around with the design for an extension wing/cabinet that would also be my new router table. I didn't start out this way: even before I knew I'd be moving, I was well along on the design for a new, separate router table with all the features. But once I had the new, larger saw sitting in my new, larger shop, I was able to see that putting the router table in the extension wing made perfect sense in terms of work flow and infeed/outfeed requirements. I abandoned my design for the separate table and began working on ideas for a wing/cabinet/table.

Just this past weekend, however, I began having serious second (or is it third?) thoughts. My specific concern: that the ~34" height of the cabinet saw, which I have found I prefer over the BT's 38"-39" height for sawing, will be lower than I'd like for routing.

So I'm currently revisiting the whole matter. I've not given up on the wing table, yet. The lower-than-preferred height is virtually the only drawback, versus a whole bunch of advantages -- but it just might be important enough to be the deal-breaker. Because for a router table, I really, really like the ~38" average height to which I'm accustomed. As Red88chevy mentioned, an inch or so either way probably doesn't matter much, but three or four inches ... eh. Not real sure I could live with that.
          Larry

Comment

• kmk
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • .Portland, Oregon
            • BT3100-1

36" with casters is going to be my router table height (planning stage). That is the normal height of kitchen counters. I think 1 or 2 inches +/- should be fine.

Benchdog casters allows 2 inches height adjustment but I don't know how much they cost.

Comment

• bthere
              Established Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Alpharetta, GA

I had mine at around 36" which was OK. However, I like to work a little higher and raised it to about 40" and I like that better. I feel like I can see and control better at that height. I doubt that I would go much more than a couple of inches taller.

I would guess that this is something of a personal choice based on your height, your comfort zone, and other working surfaces nearby.

Comment

Working...