• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Raising The Bar in Shop Accuracy

Over the last few months I have been making a personal transition from a end results project person to a process projects person. I have substantially increased the accuracy of the tools in my shop. My TS miter is aligned, fence aligned, jointer square as bell, planer happy sharp and fresh. BS re-saw slicing over nice pretty veneers. DC is doing a good job. All is will with machines. Hand tooling has caused me to look at wood differently. I am much more cognizant of wood milling processes with regards to grain and figure.
    I am using higher quality woods and hardware. This sometimes causes problems but for the most part makes life more accurate.
    I do find myself making silly errors which as over-sawing a kerf for pocket which extends below rail/stile juncture. But I can fix them pretty easily. Slowing down, thinking, using stops all could have prevented this.

So my question to you fine folks is this . . . .what specifically and substantially increased your level of proficiency and/or accuracy?
  • Brian G
    • Jun 2003
    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
    • G0899

Slowing down, thinking, and using stops.

I am very deliberate during glue-ups. I dry fit everything, have a clamping strategy in mind, and don't rush the process.

I keep things reasonably tidy (but not spotless). I don't like a cluttered bench or work area when I'm working on something. That's when disasters happen or tools break. When a process is done, I put stuff away even if it means I have to get it out again later.

I plan cuts so that all operations with like dimensions are done at the same time. I learned this by following too many Wood Magazine project plans where their steps can happen out of order.

Finally, I remind myself that it's a hobby that's supposed to be fun. If it starts to get unfun (for whatever reason), I stop, clean up, and vacate the shop.
    Brian

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Patience! Once I learned this, all kinds of problems went away
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Tom Hintz
        • Feb 2004
        • Concord, NC, USA.

Taking my time, paying attention to what I am doing and planing ahead are all important to accuracy. Just as important has been using precision instruments to align my tools. My father was a master machinist an d showed me how important it was to have a properly set up machine in order to produce accurate work. get the machine just right and it works easier and lasts longer also. Cutting edges last longer as well because they engage the wood as designed.
        I see people all the time saying this isn't rocket science, but I see nothing wrong with trying to match that kind of precision in setting machines up. Maybe if I was some master woodworker and could make perfect dovetails in my sleep, this kind of accuracy woldn't be important. I'm not so it is!
        Tom Hintz
        NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Everything mentioned in the OP and previous replies certain apply, but to throw something new into the mix:

Prototyping. Sometimes this means mocking up a project, either partially or wholly, with an inexpensive material like MDF; sometimes it means making a pattern or template that will guide the tool when dealing with the actual workpiece. Either way, I have found that in the long run it is usually faster, easier, and more precise to build something twice, so to speak, than to try and anticipate all the pitfalls and solve all the problems in only one try, as one must do when going directly to the final, expensive wood.

This is the most valuable of the many lessons I learned watching David Marks on WoodWorks.
          Larry

Comment

• ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

Establish whatever tolerances are acceptable to you and then I believe that one has to start with accurate, reliable tools. Those tools are the ones that allow for aligning machinery accurately. Everything from the tablesaw, bandsaw, jointer, planer, router table, biscuit cutter and on and on. Once the machinery is aligned properly then its the vision of the project in the woodworkers eye that is crucial to the end result. That vision can be actual plans or just a mental vision of what the project should look like in the end.

Then, as has been said in other posts, PATIENCE. If I must produce a part that I have not done before then I will make a prototype of that part to the exact dimensions of the finished project, such as a cabinet door. As I produce the prototype I will make and refine any jigs necessary to increase accuracy, safety and repeatability. I have found that an accurate jig is worth its weight in gold. There are also times when I find I must purchase additional tools and jigs to get the result that I want.

I document every part of the process and then look for ways to improve upon what I have already done. It is an endless task. There are also times when I will photograph a set-up or a step in the process so that I can refer back to it for the next time I need to make an identical piece.

For me one of the most important steps I take when something is critical for accuracy is to produce a jig. An example is installing European hinges on a door and face frame. I have 3 jigs for this purpose and now I don't even have to think about it. Set up the jigs and drill. Perfect every time.

Sorry to be so long in the tooth but in my final years of working I was a process improvement guy in an industrial repair environment. I learned it from the ground up through hands on experience. Once the philosophy of continual improvement got into my head I have never been able to approach any problem or process without using those techniques. Just can't use it on the wife. She is NOT subject to change, love her to death anyway.
            RAGS
            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
            sigpic

Comment

• Tequila
              • Aug 2004
              • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

Here's what I've done that's made big changes:

Better measuring - instead of a tape measure, I now use calipers, a dial indicator, a steel rule, or a known reference (like a drafting triangle) for equipment setup.
              Better marking - No more carpenter's pencils. I use a .5mm pencil or a marking knife.
              Better testing - running test cuts on scrap has saved me a bunch of time and money by making sure that I find problems before assembly.
              Better maintenance - regular maintenance like oiling moving parts and sharpening bits has removed lot of variability on my cuts.
              -Joe

Comment

• BrazosJake
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2003
                • Benbrook, TX.
                • Emerson-built Craftsman

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                So my question to you fine folks is this . . . .what specifically and substantially increased your level of proficiency and/or accuracy?
                A barrel full of scrap wood.

Every time I screw up, I learn a little.

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Patience, precision measuring instruments, alignments procedures, double checking, a good eye, experience (practice).
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• bthere
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Alpharetta, GA

No one thing. It's a combination of most things that have been mentioned. I would say that experience has helped the most. It has taught me to buy the best tools that I can afford; set them up and use them correctly; take the time to plan and understand what I'm doing; and have the patience to do it right.

Comment

• Thom2
                      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Stevens, PA, USA.
                      • Craftsman 22124

one word ....

MISTAKES

If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

This is a great thread if I do say so myself!

My reason for OP was obviously fueled by a couple mistakes I had made recently. However it wasn't so much how to fix them, as they were pretty much dumb errors, but thinking back to how I have improved accuracy in the last 6 months. Things that helped me . . .

1) SQUARE engineering squares. Required for marking and machine set up.
                        2) Steel rulers used along with LeeValley pencils which I keep very sharp. Love the HB lead pencil. Getting away from tape measure helped a lot. I do use a marking knife on the finest of cuts, particularly hand tool work.
                        3) Using stops for repeating cuts. Huge help. Its hard enough to get it right once!
                        4) Machine set up. Dial indicator for fences, bits, blades, etc. I figure kind of like Tom Hintz does that I need every edge I can get. Strive for perfection in set up and I MIGHT end up with something presentable.

Where I can improve . .

1) Working in clean clutter free shop thus not working against myself.
                        2) Patience. I have slowed down a lot and am really beginning to enjoy the process more and more. I was typically very results oriented. I am slowing down and realizing spending time on getting things right, along with spending money on the right stock is the way to go. Rags your post reminds me of one of the original "thinking of quality" books, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I need to re-read that book.

Things I will never do . . .

Prototype! LOL! Sorry Larry, I just can't imagine myself doing it! There is a lot of that in the books that I recently purchased (due to your recommendation I believe) and while I love the books, I can pretty much skip the part on building cardboard mission style tables!

Having said that, I agree whole heartedly in using patterns and templates along with guided router bits. I picked that up from David Marks as well and what a great way to get duplicate pieces of curved materials. I am dedicating a router in my right table saw wing just for that purpose. Again, that idea from David Marks.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'd still like to see more thoughts on the subject.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Thom2
                          one word ....

MISTAKES

Well that is obvious from the hardwood flooring you helped me with!

Comment

• Thom2
                            Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Stevens, PA, USA.
                            • Craftsman 22124

Well that is obvious from the hardwood flooring you helped me with!
                            WHAT? ... you wanted me to make those mistakes in MY house???
                            If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
                            **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Thom2
                              WHAT? ... you wanted me to make those mistakes in MY house???
                              Ha! Guess I set myself up for that one.

Comment

Working...