• footprintsinconc
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
    • BT3100

3 PHASE DUST COLLECTOR Question

hi,

question 1:

i am thinking of getting a my hands on a brand new 3 phase delta dc that has only been used once. but i dont know what 3 phase motor requires electricity wise. do i have to do special wiring? i have heard of a 3 phase convertor - what is that? i just did some wiring for my hd 60gal air compressor (three wire- 2 hot, 1 ground) is this different than a three phase?

question 2:

i already have the delta 50-760. its still brand new aswell. if i can sell mine for about 100, then for an additional 150 i can get this 3 phase delta that looks like the 50-760 but has two filter bags on top, 2 plastic bags at the bottom and four 4" ports on it. is it worth it to get. i dont have a shop set up yet, i usually pull the machines and the dc out to use them. is this new dc an over kill?

so, what do you all think? thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

regards,
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Double bags indicate a higher air throughput (measured in cfm's) usually requiring a correspondingly larger motor, hence the 3-phase requirement. Your house power probably does not provide 3-phase service, so you would have to purchase a phase converter unit, some of which have a motor, and others of which use a solid-state variable-frequency drive. You are probably looking at a couple hundred bucks minimum to start. Then you have to make sure your present single-phase wiring is adequate, which might require further expense. It seems like your electrical knowledge is pretty basic, so you would be wise to get an electrician involved, which is further expense, yet. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Your Delta 50-760 is a good dust collector, and much more suitable to a typical non-commercial power setup. I think I'd pass on the 3-phase monster, although it's also possible you could find a suitable single-phase motor to put in it, but still would have that expense, plus probably some beefed-up wiring for the bigger motor. Some things are better left alone.

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

houses/residental are not usually wired for 3 phase nor is it usually available. residental 220v is still single phase.
      for three phase you need 3 hot wires and a ground.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

3-phase is very rare in residences. And would probably be prohibitively expensive to provide from the power company.
        A three phase converter (you put 2-wire+ground single phase in the input and get 3 wire+ground 3-phase on the output) would do the trick, but you are probably talking a 4 or 5 HP motor and you will need to feed the power converter with sufficient volts and amps to run a 5 HP motor, which means probably a 220V 30A one phase circuit, another costly installation in addition to the 3-phase converter, which itself must handle the power levels.

you have to really want/need your extra CFMs to want to do this, I would think.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-26-2007, 08:23 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Hellrazor
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Abyss, PA
          • Ridgid R4512

The phase converter is going to cost more than the dust collector will.

Comment

• ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by footprintsinconc
            hi,

is this new dc an over kill?

so, what do you all think? thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice.

regards,

I think your current DC would work fine in a one person shop. Plumbing and blast gates would set you up to conveniently switch from one machine to another. I doubt you would ever need it to evacuate dust from more than one machine. Its the set-up that i use with an HF DC and occasionally I will forget and have two blast gates open and it still works fine.

Also I would think that that huge DC would sound like a 747 in a small shop.
            RAGS
            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
            sigpic

Comment

• footprintsinconc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
              • BT3100

Thanks!

well thank you all for your suggestion and comments! this site is definately the place to ask for help.

you are right, my electrical knowledge is next to none. now that i know that my house wont support it and even if it did, the conversion is pretty expensive, i will just simply stick to my current dc as suggested. i just thought that for such an small addition, i could get a dc that would suck the wood in before it got cut!

thank you all once again.

Comment

Working...