Clear All
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

Band Saw Problem

Hi Everyone

Had a very busy summer at work and no shop time. Finally after about 6 months I managed a few hours in the shop, but ...

I was trying to set my BS and followed all the tune up steps. Started the saw and felt something was not right. Check it out and found out that black tire on the upper wheel keeps coming out of the groove!!! (tried it couple of times).

Does this mean that I need to change those tires (they don't seems cracked or anything like that) or am I doing something wrong (like too much tension)? BTW, it is a 14", 3 speed King (off-shore import) about 10 years old.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

That sounds like a no too good problem.
    Could be tension issues, wheel bearing issues, blade issues or tire issues.

First, take off the blade and make sure the top wheel spins freely and the bottom wheel is easily driven by the motor and belt.

Next I'd check the tires for obvious signs of distress - cracking, stretched way out of shape and too big, etc.

Then put the blade on at modest tension and see if you can turn the whole assembly by hand without disaster (belt coming off). Then try the motor and see if it runs OK.

Finally get it to operating tension ( see the sufforlk machinery site for timberwolf blades for determining the right tension. Maybe you just had the tension too high ( a short blade can do that).

Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mudder
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • I live in a house
      • Delta 36-650

If the tire is not cracked or stretched you might "glue" it back down with weatherstrip adhesive of something like it. I have seen thin blades under excessive tension cause this to happen. Does the tire flip off the wheel? What is the blade size? (I.E. 1/4", 1/2" etc.)? You might want to think about replacing the tires before gluing them on just so you don't have to in a few years when they need replacement. Another thing that causes this is when the wheels are not coplanar and you have to cock the upper wheel at an extreme angle to keep the band tracking correctly.

Hope this helps.

Mudder

Comment

• Turaj
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
        • BT3000 (1998)

Thanks Loring, I followed your steps and narrowed the problem down to loose (and old) tires - I can strech it about an inch from the wheel rather easily!! so I think it is time!!

Mudder, Thanks for the help. I was running a 1/2" Tuff Tooth blade (same as Timberwolf in US) and I may have set the blade not in the centre!! causing a one sided presure. How temporary or permanent is the gluing? I am checking these "Neoprene" tires so I may just change them and not worry for a while!

BTW I did check the wheels to make sure they are coplaner!

Thank you both for the replies!
        Turaj (in Toronto)
        "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• treetopguy2028
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2006
          • Mountain View, Arkansas
          • Three makes of band saws

Changing band saw tires

My 14" Grizzly Ultimate is nine years old so I bought Urethane Tires from Grizzly and changed them yesterday. In my equipment doc file I found instructions for two ways to do this and chose the hot water method. Even by heating the tire in hot water it is still difficult to stretch over the wheel. A bench-mounted Carpenter's Vise from Highland Woodworking was just the tool to have to hold the wheel firmly while both hands could stretch the tire around.

I trust the new tires will cause the Lenox blade to ride and track better than the old tires did.

Sherman in Mountain View, AR

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by treetopguy2028
            Even by heating the tire in hot water it is still difficult to stretch over the wheel.
            There is a "trick" to this. Get five dowels or metal rods about 18" long and 1/4" to 1/2" diameter. The rods need to be long enough to provide some leverage and strong enough not to bend or break when the leverage is applied.

Lay the wheel flat on the bench. Drape the tire over it, and position rods between the tire and wheel at the top, bottom, and sides of the wheel. The tire will now be in a diamond shape sitting just above the wheel, held in that shape by the rods.

Take the fifth rod and work it in next to the top rod. Roll this rod back and forth and work the tire down on the wheel on one side. When the tire is in position on the side, remove the side rod. Continue rolling between the top and other side to work the tire onto the top part of the wheel. Continue down the other side, and then to the bottom. At this point the tire will be in position, with only the fifth rod between the tire and the wheel.

Work adhesive into the groove, using the gap created by the fifth rod. Roll the rod a little, and apply glue to the newly exposed section of the groove. Continue around the wheel to apply the rest of the adhesive, then remove the fifth dowel and check the tire to make sure it is seated properly.
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011
              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

I learned most of what I know about bandsaws from Alex Snodgrass.

From what I've read (and observed) coplaner is over-rated.

I think I'd get myself a pair of new tires.

It's normal for the tires to stretch and wear over time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

Comment

• big tim
                • Mar 2006
                • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
                • SawStop PCS

The original thread is almost 9 years old!
                Cheers;

Tim
                Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

Working...