X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Ok, I'll add to the old thread. I picked up the Hitachi 12" SCMS about two years ago. It was expensive, but it's one of those tools that makes me happy every time I use it. High precision, great power, huge capacity. The laser and digital angle guage seemed gimmicky but have proven to be very valuable. We've cut through nearly a houseful of laminate flooring and have been so happy to have it. Makes quick work of even 8/4 hardwoods. I've got two blades for it and had to resharpen both twice so far, but the saw itself is working just as well as day 1.

Comment

• 180x
      Established Member
      • Dec 2006
      • North Augusta, SC
      • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Carlos
      Ok, I'll add to the old thread. I picked up the Hitachi 12" SCMS about two years ago. It was expensive, but it's one of those tools that makes me happy every time I use it. High precision, great power, huge capacity. The laser and digital angle guage seemed gimmicky but have proven to be very valuable. We've cut through nearly a houseful of laminate flooring and have been so happy to have it. Makes quick work of even 8/4 hardwoods. I've got two blades for it and had to resharpen both twice so far, but the saw itself is working just as well as day 1.
      That's good to hear. I bought one in January (got it from Amazon for $390). I had purchased a Makita 10 slider that I never took out the box to replace the Craftsman (non-professional) that I got a couple of years earlier. The more I used it the Craftsman, the less I liked it. Took the Makita back to BORG because I felt the Hitachi deal was just too good to pass up! Time will tell though.
      Dwayne

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

Since my first post on this thread, I've switched to a Hitachi double bevel non-slider 12 inch CMS. I got it, rebuilt, for $149. Because it is a double bevel, you can do wide crown upside down and backwards on either side. It is also belt driven - that is why the motor is up and out of the way. I have a RAS so if I need wider cross cut I have it but for most things, 8 inches is enough. It has a laser but is not the digital angle display version - that would be kind of nice for the bevel which is little hard to read and position real accurately.

Jim

Comment

• drumpriest
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
          • Powermatic PM 2000

My Makita is still going strong. Floored my house with it, a lot of trim, and I use it to rough out stock. I don't really use it for furniture cross cuts, because I use the TS for that, but I have used it for frames a bunch, so it's still very accurate.
          Keith Z. Leonard
          Go Steelers!

Comment

• Hoover
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • USA.

This thread needs to die!!
            No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• tseavoy
              Established Member
              • May 2009
              • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
              • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

At the low end, I bought a 10" Ryobi at HD for about $100. It has suited me well. The blade was not good though. A 10" nonsliding will not cut standard width laminate. I use a Bosch jig saw for that.
              Years ago, the rage was for radial arm saws. Sears sold thousands. It turned out that the table saw is much more accurate -- slop in the radial arm saw was the problem, as well as deflection. My vote would be for a non sliding 12" miter saw.

Tom on Marrowstone

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Tom, they do a lot of dredging on that island of yours? ;P

Here's a puzzle, descramble for hidden meaning:

tle ihts dlo rdehat edi!

Answer to be provided tomorrow
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
                  ..........tle ihts dlo rdehat edi!

its not ridgid 10" or 12", cant be hitachi, is it a GMC?

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

no no, Omar

something more descriptive of what was alluded to in the first line....

each packet of letters is a word..

ok... now, no more hints until tomorrow!
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dkerfoot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2004
                      • Holland, Michigan
                      • Craftsman 21829

Personally, I hardly ever use my miter saw anymore. Crown molding is the only thing I can think of that I wouldn't rather use my table saw - mostly because of the impossibility of dust collection with a miter saw.

I keep the MS in the garage now and only ever use it for outside projects.

I installed bamboo flooring that came in 7' lengths and was able to cross-cut it without problems by using the sliding rails of my Craftsman 21829 (upgraded BT3100)

Doug Kerfoot
                      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• dkerfoot
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Holland, Michigan
                        • Craftsman 21829

Just noticed how ancient this thread is. It is amazing how they get resurrected sometimes
                        Doug Kerfoot
                        "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
                        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                        KeyLlama.com

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by dkerfoot
                          Personally, I hardly ever use my miter saw anymore. Crown molding is the only thing I can think of that I wouldn't rather use my table saw - mostly because of the impossibility of dust collection with a miter saw.

I keep the MS in the garage now and only ever use it for outside projects.

I installed bamboo flooring that came in 7' lengths and was able to cross-cut it without problems by using the sliding rails of my Craftsman 21829 (upgraded BT3100)

Agreed - I am feeling guilty that nowadays I turn the TS on for all sorts of cuts and the Mitersaw is sorta ignored, mostly : for repeatability, accuracy and of course the dust.

Originally posted by dkerfoot
                          Just noticed how ancient this thread is. It is amazing how they get resurrected sometimes
                          and Chopnhack has been begging people to let it die, but it stays alive .
                          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

• tjr
                            Established Member
                            • Oct 2008
                            • at the falls of the Ohio
                            • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

Hey Tom, how wide is laminate? If it's like 6" x 3/4" or 5/8", I think my 10" would cut it.

Comment

• BrazosJake
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2003
                              • Benbrook, TX.
                              • Emerson-built Craftsman

Depends on what you're gonna do with it.

I own a 12" Makita CMS and have never felt deprived. Maybe if I need to crosscut something really wide that is too long from my tablesaw, it'll be an issue.

Yes, absolutely buy a throwaway blade from Harbor Freight for laminate flooring, it is brutal on blades. I dulled my stock Makita blade that way. Fortunately, some pretty good Hitachi blades went on sale at Amazon right then, so it now wears one.

If purchasing a slider, I'd go with 10" rather than 12". Blades cost less, and I don't think the extra diameter of a 12" buys you much on a slider.

Comment

• jabe
                                • Apr 2006
                                • Hilo, Hawaii
                                • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

I bought the first Hitachi 10" C10FS slider years ago and did not have room at home for it so I took it to the high school shop where I taught. The kids used & abused it everyday for 9 yrs, finally took it home when I retired in 03. It still cuts accurately today and runs great. Only thing I did was to change the brushes. Any brand tool that can last 3yrs in a high school shop was what I bought for myself.

Comment

Working...