X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RJD2
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Craftsman Planer model #21758?

Does anyone own or have info on a Craftsman 12-1/2 in. Thickness Planer/ model #21758? It is currently on sale, and might suit my needs without spending $200-$300 more on a Dewalt. Thanks.

Ron
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

It's very similar to the current Ryobi AP1301 (a stripped-down step back from the more popular AP1300). It's a bare bones planer that is more useful for roughing out lumber, and then finishing with some other equipment. I think the biggest deficiency is the lack of a cutter head lock.

Comment

• ragswl4
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Winchester, Ca
      • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
      It's very similar to the current Ryobi AP1301 (a stripped-down step back from the more popular AP1300). It's a bare bones planer that is more useful for roughing out lumber, and then finishing with some other equipment. I think the biggest deficiency is the lack of a cutter head lock.
      I just went through the planer drill. I agree, I would not buy a planer without a cutter head lock. I had a Grizzly 12 1/2" planer without cutter head lock and could never get rid of the 2" snipe on each end of the board. Bought a used Dewalt 733 with a cutter head lock, absolutely no snipe and the wood is planed much, much better. I would pass on the Craftsman, just my opinion. I found my Dewalt on CraigsList.
      RAGS
      Raggy and Me in San Felipe
      sigpic

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

no cutter head lock = no bargain
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bthere
          Established Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Alpharetta, GA

My previous benchtop planer had no cutter lock. With that one, anything but the shortest stock always had snipe. If your projects and budget are such that you are willing to sacrifice 4 to 6 inches of your board and can plan around that, then it might be worth it. Otherwise, it is great to go up a step and get the better results.

Comment

• kirkroy
            Established Member
            • Feb 2007
            • Brunswick, MD

Does the ap1300 have a cutterhead lock? There's a "like new" one on craigslist for $200 with stand and wheel kit.

Comment

• burrellski
              Established Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Saint Joseph, MO.

Originally posted by kirkroy
              Does the ap1300 have a cutterhead lock? There's a "like new" one on craigslist for $200 with stand and wheel kit.
              The AP1300 has a cutterhead lock and is generally regarded as a good budget planer. I have one and am very happy with it. I purchased it new at home depot about 1 year ago for $200.

Comment

Working...