• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

MLCS Forstner Bits

I have a set of HF forstner bits that are 1/4" - 2 1/8" by eights. Although I'm sure they are not machined to the closest tolerances possible, they are a decent set. The problem is that I have needed an in-between bit on several occasions.

MLCS has 3 sets that would do the trick. A 6 pc set for $22.95 that are all 1/16 bits and would fill the gaps from 5/16" - 15/16". Next step up is a 22 pc set at $59.95 that would replace the HF bits with the additional 6 pc set included. Their big set is 31 pcs (1/4" - 2 1/8" in sixteenth inch increments) for $99.95.

Now the questions:

1. Is there enough difference in quality to warrant getting the 22 pc set and replacing the HF set?

2. If the answer is yes, is there enough use for the sixteenth bits above 1" to justify the added $40 price tag?
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • charliex
    • Mar 2004
    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Or.. Go for broke and get their 39 bits for $109.95 special.
    http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...e/sp070612.htm
    I've been lusting for this set for about a month now. I don't need them that often but at that price it's hard to pass up.
    Chas

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

I purchased both the carbide sets from Griz.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2007/Main/322

Not cheap, but I was tired of not having the right size. And I work w/ a lot of plywood and didn't want to worry about dulling the bits all the time.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Just looked at the Grizzly site. $180 is a bit steep right now. Scrolling down I found a HSS 31 pc set like MLCS has, for $30 more.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Pappy
          I have a set of HF forstner bits that are 1/4" - 2 1/8" by eights. Although I'm sure they are not machined to the closest tolerances possible, they are a decent set. The problem is that I have needed an in-between bit on several occasions.

MLCS has 3 sets that would do the trick. A 6 pc set for $22.95 that are all 1/16 bits and would fill the gaps from 5/16" - 15/16". Next step up is a 22 pc set at $59.95 that would replace the HF bits with the additional 6 pc set included. Their big set is 31 pcs (1/4" - 2 1/8" in sixteenth inch increments) for $99.95.

Now the questions:

1. Is there enough difference in quality to warrant getting the 22 pc set and replacing the HF set?

2. If the answer is yes, is there enough use for the sixteenth bits above 1" to justify the added $40 price tag?
          WW is to a large extent having the right tools for the right job. If you want precise circles in all different sizes, then the forstners are the way to go and if you want the 1/16th increment set, I say get it.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

Buying the bits in sixteenth's is going to happen. What I am trying to determine is if it's worth it to replace the HF bits in the deal and spend the extra $$$ to get the sixteenth bits above 1".
            Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

Have you checked out Lee Valley? You may be suprised to see the pricing on the sets.

6 bits in 16ths for $22.50 HCS and $32.50 in HSS.

MCLS drill bits usually fair pretty poorly on comparisons, while Lee Valley tend to take the cake.

Comment

Working...