• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greencat
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Grand Haven Mi

Craftsman 1 hp dust collector

I'm looking for an inexpensive dust collector. I'm using wet /dry vacs.

I saw this on ebay.
    1 hp Craftsmen Dust Collector

Anyone have any information on this? It must be old since I only see 1 1/2 units when I google it. I don't want to invest in a large unit until I can have a dedicated shop. The seller is local so I would save on shipping.
    Thanks again,
    Mike
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Email the seller and ask what kind of bags it has. 30, 5 or 1 micron? If it has the 30 micron bags then for effective dust collection you will need to buy new bags. 30 micron bags will allow the finest dust (the bad stuff) to escape through the bags and you will be breathing it. Cost is around $80-90 for two 1 micron bags.

That DC will only be useful for 1 machine at a time. So you will have to move it around your shop or invest in hoses and blast gates for each machine. Price looks ok, based on type of bags it has.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• greencat
      Established Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Grand Haven Mi

When you get to 5 or 1 does the bag feel more like felt instead of a cloth? The reason I ask I don't think the seller knows. Also is 30 worst than the wet/dry with special bags for collection?
      Thanks again,
      Mike

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this looks like a very old C'man DC based on the general styling I see in the photo.
        Basically then it will have pretty porous bags in the 30 micron range as finer filtering has only been a recent (last ten years) phenomena and most DC manufacturers are STILL putting coarse bags on as original equipment.

So what you have to do is to determine what your goals are in getting a DC. It's easy to cheat because the fines aren't all that visible (except at the end of the day when you find a fine film of fine dust on your tools and surfaces).

But do you want to have clean air for breathing (in which case you want 2, 1, or even .5 micron filtering) or just want to keep from having to sweep up or uncloging your shop vac hose?

Becasue it has assymetrical bag diameters it may not even take standard sizes of bags if you would want to upgrade...
        Personally, I'd pass.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-30-2007, 02:36 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...