• Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

3" vs. 4" Belt Sander

I'm ready to move up from a cheap, lightweight 3" belt sander to either a heavyweight 3" or a 4" model. I'd like to hear some opinions. Do you guys (and gals) with a 4" model find that you use it mostly for large pieces (i.e. doors, tabletops, etc) and that it's just too bulky for more intricate or complicated work? I'd like to cut back on work time with the wider belt, but not if I'm gonna have to use more time with the detail sander. Discussion?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
    I'm ready to move up from a cheap, lightweight 3" belt sander to either a heavyweight 3" or a 4" model. I'd like to hear some opinions. Do you guys (and gals) with a 4" model find that you use it mostly for large pieces (i.e. doors, tabletops, etc) and that it's just too bulky for more intricate or complicated work? I'd like to cut back on work time with the wider belt, but not if I'm gonna have to use more time with the detail sander. Discussion?

r u talkin benchtop or handheld? I guess on reflection it must be handheld, I don't know of any 3" benchtop units.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-28-2007, 12:51 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

A 3x21 is usually considered an all-around belt sander. The 4 inch wide models are heavier and can be a bit of a handful to manage. Even a 3x21 could be a bit much for a smaller person. I have a Ryobi 3x21 - the model with the motor between the pulleys that will lay flat on its back so you can use it like a stationary sander. It works well. With a 80 or 100 grit belt it will flatten a table top easily but is still light enough to be used on an edge. Belts are easy to find. I have no desire for anything bigger.

Jim

Comment

• final_t
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003

Do you already have a benchtop belt sander? If so, then I'd get the same size for the handheld one, so that you don't have the buy different size belts (this is one thing I dislike about having the Ridgid bench unit plus the Ryobi handheld).
        If you don't have a bench unit or don't care about the compatable belt sizes, check the 4" unit you're interested in and see how common the belts are for it. 3x21 is REALLY common and will do everything you ask for, unless you're into super-huge items that need smoothed. As mentioned bigger == harder to handle.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

Originally posted by JimD
          I have no desire for anything bigger.

Jim
          If you win Norm's timesaver, I call DIBS!!!!!!
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Sawatzky
            Established Member
            • Apr 2005
            • CA
            • Ridgid TS3650

I have a 3x21" PC sander and I have found that 3 inches is great for whatever I need to use it for. I don't think I would want anything much heavier, and I know a 4 inch sander will be a lot heavier.

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

To each his own, of course, but I'd have to agree with some of the previous opinions that a 3 x 21 is more than enough for my use. You can remove a tremendous amount of material quickly and I find it's not the tool of choice unless my objective is to reduce a considerable amount of material.

My belt sander is an older Craftsman model (made by Ryobi) and use it rarely. However last year I was refinishing some oak plank that was used as wainscote in the kitchen. After taking it off the wall, the mounted side was thick with old adhesive, dirt, etc. and I really needed to flatten that side before remounting it. I removed most of the stuff with an old chisel, but the plank need some serious work, which was perfect for the belt sander.

It worked quickly, but you had to really manage the control. I was breezing through those boards and then it must have caught on some unremoved goo... and it just about stretched me across the work table. I can't imagine what a "4 x" would have done. I think I'll stick to my 3 x 21.

For what it's worth,

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I have an older Craftsman 4" and the Ryobi 3". I never use the 4" any more, the 3" does everything I need and is lighter and much easier to control.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

I have both the PC 3"x24" and PC 4"x24". I use the 3" almost entirely. The 4" is quite a bit heavier. As for a 3"x21", it's a little small for me. The platen isn't as large and takes more effort to run it smooth. With the PC, the weight alone is sufficient pressure.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                    The Full Monte
                    • May 2007
                    • Sunshine State
                    • BT3000

Thanks for the input, all. For the record, I have a benchtop disk/belt sander, but the belt is a narrow one, but useful just the same. My CM handheld is a 3"x18", and very lightweight, which comes in handy sometimes, but requires a lot of down-pressure for large jobs. It is just too light and small for serious panel sanding, hence my desire to get something heavier, where its own weight will do some of the work. I am leaning toward a PC 3"x24" VS at this point, although the 4" VS version is currently available from HD (online only) for $179. Just don't want to get a one-dimensional unit that gathers dust, rather than making it...
                    Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 07-28-2007, 11:14 PM.

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Working in base hobby shops over the years I used a lot of different brands and sizes of belt sanders. I went thru 3 Craftsman 3x21 sanders before I decided to upgrade. My choice was the PC 352VS 3x21 sander. best balanced machine I have ever used. The metal body provides enough weight to not need added pressure on horizontal surfaces, but it is still light enough to use for verticle sanding and shaping without wearing you out. The dust collection with the bag is decent.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

Working...