• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

Gloatius Maximus genus Table Saw

Got tired of waiting on Amazon to send the Jet TS deal, so I caught a killer deal on Amazon last week for a Delta X5 Uni w/50" Biesy rails. Had a Bench Dog CI router wing to add to it. Stuck full kerf Ridge Carbide TS2000 in it and am just pleased to death!

Only problems encountered was the fence was very tight against rails even with pads turned down. This caused the slick plastic pad to pop off the lever that locks fence. I am going to epoxy it back on. Getting the wings level was not fun. The Bench Dog wing was the easiest. The extension table was kind of a pisser. It has a really nice hard thick almost phenolic looking bottom with a layer of some substrate then a decent grey laminate top. All in all decent stuff, but then they used stupid pine to trim it out with white glue and 18 gauge brad nailer, 2 nails per joint! I will likely rebuild with maple or oak while salvaging the main top materials.

• Scottydont
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Edmonds, WA, USA.
    • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Congratulations! I love my Delta too! I replaced the cheesy extention table on mine too. No other complaints though!
    Scott
    "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Scottydont
      Congratulations! I love my Delta too! I replaced the cheesy extention table on mine too. No other complaints though!
      Did you replace the framing or the entire thing? I think the material is great, just the frame that stinks.

Comment

• TheRic
        • Jun 2004
        • West Central Ohio
        • bt3100

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
        ... I caught a killer deal on Amazon last week for a Delta X5 Uni w/50" Biesy rails. ...
        First you SUCK!!!!

Second nice score hope it does you well until you get that PM2000 you want.

Third I'll take the Jet off your hands when you finally get it, will even drive out and pick it up (saving you the trip to drop it off).

Fourth I don't remember that in the Bargin Alerts
        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by TheRic
          First you SUCK!!!!

Second nice score hope it does you well until you get that PM2000 you want.

Third I'll take the Jet off your hands when you finally get it, will even drive out and pick it up (saving you the trip to drop it off).

Fourth I don't remember that in the Bargin Alerts
          First, no my cyclone sucks!

Second, I really like the PM 2000 but I got a super deal on this unit.

Third, I cancelled the Jet order. Sorry, I should have offered it to others. All I could think about was cancelling it cause I was tired of waiting. Amazon did poop on me bit though. They shipped the "free" Freud blade immediately and I have had it for a couple months. Problem is they pro-rate the cost to the "Free" item between shipped and unshipped items. Guess that keeps you from getting free item and cancelling order. Anyway, the only way they will let me return it is if they deduct the original cost of shipping plus return shipping. Forget that!

Fourth, I know, I know but there was only two of them. I wanted to make sure mine was processed since I some how got screwed on the Jet TS deal. I did post the other unit in Bargin Alerts but the other one was gone. You can find the post entitled "Delete" for your enjoyment! LOL!

Comment

• gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Bayfield Co., WI

At least the Latin in your thread header was actually correct*.

*i.e., the case endings--not getting into taxonomy of table saw and whether it should have been in Latin, as well.
            Last edited by gwyneth; 07-25-2007, 10:39 PM.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

Hope you enjoy the big X, but you still suck!

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Congrats Jeff! Enjoy and be safe!
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• jwaterdawg
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Washington, NC USA
                  • JET

Suckageous ginormous in your general direction.
                  Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• MBG
                    • Apr 2003
                    • Chicago, Illinois.
                    • Craftsman 21829

Jeffery - nice saw. I bought the same saw about a year ago. I had the same problem with the pads, even the bars they attached to had all the paint chipping off. I called CS and the sent me 2 or 3 replacements but I epoxied the original back on, like you did, and it hasn't given me a problem since. I'll bet they never cleaned the steel before applying the paint or pad. One other problem I had with my saw was cosmetic. The big X5 Delta label didn't fit tight against the cabinet. I drilled out the rivets and found they didn't remove the paper from the double-sided tape before they applied it. Other than these two minor problems it's been flawless.

As far as the wing table. It took me three tables to get a flat one. I only had to send one back to CS so I made a folding out feed table with one. I also put my router in the wing - that's why I was so concerned about the flatness. I reinforced the underside of the extension table to make it more robust too.

Looks like you are tight on space like me. I included a couple of pics of how I used the area under the wing for storage:

(click to enlarge)

Have fun,

Mike

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by MBG
                      One other problem I had with my saw was cosmetic. The big X5 Delta label didn't fit tight against the cabinet. I drilled out the rivets and found they didn't remove the paper from the double-sided tape before they applied it. Other than these two minor problems it's been flawless.

As far as the wing table. It took me three tables to get a flat one. I only had to send one back to CS so I made a folding out feed table with one. I also put my router in the wing - that's why I was so concerned about the flatness. I reinforced the underside of the extension table to make it more robust too.

Looks like you are tight on space like me. I included a couple of pics of how I used the area under the wing for storage:

(click to enlarge)

Have fun,

Mike
                      Thats pretty funny. My big X5 Delta lable on the front is not flat either! They did take the paper off the back of this one though because I pushed it back and it stuck for a few seconds. If I ever find time I may deal with it.

Thanks for the photos. I am tight on space right now so that may help.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by MBG

Mike,

BTW very nice cabinets! I am going to do the same thing plus build something for the other side where the Bench Dog router wing is in order to collect dust.

Would it be possible for you to get me a couple photos of how you attached the outfeed table?

Thanks!

Comment

• thrytis
                          • May 2004
                          • Concord, NC, USA.
                          • Delta Unisaw

I got the non-X5 version, and it was a pain getting everything set up properly. My extension table wasn't very flat, but i was able to get it to flatten out a bit when bolting it to the rails. The cast iron wing had to be replaced, as well as one of the hand wheels. Now that it is together it is a pleasure to use though.

Mike,

How does the mobile base lock down? Is the the Delta base? The cabinet looks like it would cover where the flip lever belongs. Is the cabinet fully supported on the base or does it have its own wheels?
                          Eric

Comment

• MBG
                            • Apr 2003
                            • Chicago, Illinois.
                            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                            Mike,

BTW very nice cabinets! I am going to do the same thing plus build something for the other side where the Bench Dog router wing is in order to collect dust.

Would it be possible for you to get me a couple photos of how you attached the outfeed table?

Thanks!
                            No problem. I basically used a piano hinge and drilled/screwed it to the rear rail (I know - you may not want to drill into your new puppy yet). I used shim stock to adjust the height of the table and used parts of a Sears roller stand that they had for $10 a few months back for table support. When I roll my saw out I put my Wixey angle gauge on the cast saw top and set to zero - then move it the to out feed table and adjust the leg height:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...G_0732_2_1.jpg
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...G_0733_3_1.jpg
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...G_0734_4_1.jpg
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...G_0735_5_1.jpg
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...G_0736_6_1.jpg

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2005
                              • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by MBG
                              No problem. I basically used a piano hinge and drilled/screwed it to the rear rail (I know - you may not want to drill into your new puppy yet).
                              Actually I had the Jigsaw out with metal cutting blades planning to open the hole for the DC for 6". I was pleasantly surpised to find it was already a large opening. No problem drill rails.

Looks like you have a Shard guard there. How do you like it? I took the blade guard off last night to make some rabbets and I definately don't want to have to do that everytime! That screw is bound to end up taking a ride through my cyclone!

Comment

Working...