• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

The thrill of scraping

So after reading about scrapng for all these years, i took the plunge.

Ordered me a mess of stuff from Lee Valley (which I really can't afford). Spent three days just looking at the package contents and deciding whether I should keep the stuff (and hide it from the wife) or return it and surrender like a wuss.

Well I kept it and thought I figured it all out (yeah right).

Finally worked up the nerve to attempt scraping and boy, did I suck. Sat down on the shop floor for an hour debating if I should shoot myself in the head with a brad gun.

Went back the next day, after spending at least 4 hours reading the instructions and every article and all the chapters in all my books that referred to scraping.

Took another shot at it, 'cause "real men" don't give up that easily.

And lo and behold, I thunk I got it. Got so, I scraped enough Maple to make a pile of shavings two feet deep (what a PITA cleaning it up).

But, I now can scrape. Think I'll throw all my sandpaper and my ROS away.

This is really the way to fly.

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

First of all, a brad gun will give you only a flesh wound. For real damage, you'll need a framing nailer.

Secondly, good for you! I bought some scrapers at a woodworking show earlier this year and I'm still figuring out how to make the little burr on the edge. I did manage to get some nice scrapings once. It was pretty cool!

Which source helped you the most?

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• MilDoc

Same here. I practiced and practiced and practiced, on scraps. Thought I had it down. Need more practice.

Keep on keeping on!

Comment

• drumpriest
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
        • Powermatic PM 2000

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_mat...748729,00.html

Nice little video there on how to do it.
        Keith Z. Leonard
        Go Steelers!

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Glad it didn't take as long for you to learn scraping as it did for me to learn how to be consistent in putting a CA finish on pens - 1 1/2 years and about a hundred pens, and most of them finished the second and third time.

You have patience and persistence! It really pays off! It seems like to me that most people avoid patience and persistence like the plague! Congratulations!
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• stormdog74
            Established Member
            • Mar 2007
            • Sacramento, CA
            • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by drumpriest
            http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_mat...748729,00.html

Nice little video there on how to do it.
            Good site - I am going to be needing to learn how very soon, so this is a timely post. Thanks!

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

My favorite instruction on preparing a scraper, quick and easy.

http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/171/...ing-a-scraper/

Comment

• RodKirby
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

The more I use a scraper, the better I become - and the more I enjoy it.

I have a block plane with a removable sticker that reads "SCRAPER?"
                Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • York, PA, USA.

Being a long time hand tool hater, I have to admit I have been using a variety of scrapers for about 6 months now and love them. I cheated on the whole sharpening/burring thing and bought a jig for it but it works like a champ.

First scrapers, then nice chisels, then waterstones . . .

In a seperate thread I will admit to buying a LN Adjust Mouth Block Plane and the pure joy of using it straight out of the box!

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning Bruce...

I started WW in 1972 and attended a seminar in 1978 with a European fella unknownst to me at the time featured named Tage Frid. It was in the old Georgia red clay walled seminar room in the basement of Highland Hardware (now Highland WW) before they moved to the larger facility across the street.

That's where I learned to use a scraper. Sandvik was the preferred weapon of choice in those days, even though you can make a hand scraper from "any" piece of flat steel. Sandvik got bought out 10-15 (?) years ago by Baaco and I suspect they changed the formula as I don't care for the Baaco. OK is best to describe the Baaco, but won't hold the edge as Sandvik's did in my experience with them. I like the one's LV sell at this point. Good metal in those.

"Anyone" can use a hand scraper.. and I repeat "anyone" as the technique doesn't require a rocket science approach. You push or pull and the results of doing so will key you if you need to skew the blade in a given situation to improve the cut (not scrape.. Cut). You just know after becoming familar with scraping various species. The technique is almost fool-proof.

But as simple to use as a scraper is... the real key to it's use is forming the edge on it before you proceed. Once the edge is formed properly.. the scraper will do it's thing and even the "village idiot" can use it with almost "master craftsman" results. ha.. ha...

How do you know if the edge has been properly drawn is the question, or should be the question, IMO........ ??

If you are getting fine dust will your effort.. the edge is not properly drawn. When it is.... you will get very fine shavings. Life is simple!

So the key to using one IMO is understanding that the technique with the scarper itself is not critical to it's use, but technique of preparing the edge is! And the links you have been given will describe how along with thousands of other words that has been written to describe what is really a simple procedure.

The scraper is one of the least expensive tools you could acquire in your quest to becoming a skilled WW... but one of the most valuable you can pull out of your "bag of tricks" in relation to what it can achieve. And.. achieve well with minimum experience!

Regards...

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2003
                      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                      • BT3100

Hey Sarge,

I'd give my left small toe to have taken classes with Tage Frid, now he was a legend in his own and our time.

Bruce
                      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• gwyneth
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
                        The scraper is one of the least expensive tools you could acquire in your quest to becoming a skilled WW... but one of the most valuable you can pull out of your "bag of tricks" in relation to what it can achieve.
                        About a decade ago, Fine Woodworking had a detailed article about using pieces of broken glass as scrapers...for some reason the glass users cult has stayed low-key. Possibly the bandaids never come off their fingers long enough to type (yes, the article discussed covering one side of the glass piece with tape).

Comment

• smc331
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2003
                          • Charlotte, NC, USA.
                          • BT3100

I was introduced to the broken glass scraper when I was about 9 or 10 years old - a neighbor was fitting a new axe handle, and he was scraping it with a piece of broken glass. I was amazed! Nice fluffy curls - and and no blood - he did tape the back edge of the glass.

It made such an impression on me, that when I was building my dulcimer and needed a scraper, I got a sheet of glass to use. Still quite impressive...

But a "real" scraper is still on my list!
                          Scott

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa

http://macbournes.com

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
                            Hey Sarge,

I'd give my left small toe to have taken classes with Tage Frid, now he was a legend in his own and our time.

Bruce
                            Morning Bruce...

Those early years for me before all the instant access age were very en-lightening for me indeed. Highland opened becoming the instant "Southern Mecca for WW" and soon afterward came FWW mag which was like whoa.... WW has come out of the dimly lit and dusty solace of our small shops and is knocking on the general public's door begging to be "let in".

Bringing Frid to Highland opened the door for others to follow. Kresnov.. Frank Klaus.. Ogate.. Sam Maloof and the list goes on. Every time I take the 30 minute ride to Highland located in historic Virginia Highlands here in Atlanta, great old memories of the early years haunt my memory as soon as I pull into the small parking lot.

I skipped lunch for a month or so in 1979 to purchase a set of bench chisels made all the way over in Sheffield, England by Marples (they were quality made from Sheffield steel before the current offering which don't so thier original line justice) for the large sum of $18 for a set of four.

Sitting beside someone who looked familar in a seminar who latter introduces himself as Jimmy Carter.. then governor of Georgia. And bumping into that same ex-governor and ex-president several times with the gracious Miss Rosalyn tagging along in the sand-paper section.

The two large adopted "store cats" that you always had to pick up and move to get to the stack of whatever was on sale. For that matter, those two always knew what you were looking for and would settle in for a nap on top of it before you got to it. Real mystics that would make Miss Cleo appear as the fake she was! ha.. ha...

Those were the days that a newbie that created his first two pieces of furniture with only a cheap jig saw.. combo square and a few hand tools finds hard to forget. He "moved up" to an old G.W. Murphy (Shopmate) circular saw bolted under a piece of 2 x 4 ply with a hollow ground planer blade for a TS. Then came the real deal.. a genuine Craftmans 1976 model contractors saw on Xmas morning that was on sale for $279. Heavy duty was under the tree that morning and I was stepping up in the world.

Just a few memories from an old man.. but all as wonderful as still waking up on a chilly, crisp fall morning and wandering to the shop with a cup of coffee to be over-come with the smell and spirit of the raw wood that awaits you there....

Regards...

Comment

• drumpriest
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2004
                              • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                              • Powermatic PM 2000

Bruce, no left pinky toe jokes, please. A good bit off topic, but I accidentally had it removed from my foot one day in the dojo, and paid a handsome price to have it put back. Don't think I'd part with it for a class, but Tage Frid would be up on the "maybe" list. ;-)
                              Keith Z. Leonard
                              Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...