• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

Left blades, right blades

I've got the Ryobi 18v circular saw. Its blade is on the left.

Last month, Cummins had a deal on little blades; they were the correct size and even the correct arbor size (10 mm). At four carbide tipped blades (16T, 24T, 30T, 60T) for about six bucks, I bit.

The other night I went to use one of them and noticed they are all right blades. Since then I've searched here and spent a couple of hours trying to phrase the right query on Google, and couldn't find an answer.

My question is: can I just turn one of the righthand blades over and use it that way?

Thanks.
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

The only difference from one side of a blade to the other is that one side usually has writing on it and the other side doesn't. There is no such thing, AFAIK, as a right or left hand blade. Just turn the blade over and saw away.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

yep. Just depends on which side they put the writing.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• HarmsWay
        • Nov 2003
        • Victoria, BC
        • BT3000

Yes, it still has to be symetrical. I'd recommend labeling it with a right and wrong side out though, so it doesn't get put on backwards.

Bob

Comment

• gwyneth
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Bayfield Co., WI

Thanks, it looked as if it should work but it's usually not a good idea to experiment with saw blades.

Here's the link for the blades (I know getting them for the Ryobi 18v has been a problem for some people.) Although I could have sworn this is what I ordered (at $6 instead of the $10 now showing) the picture of these shows the blades facing right instead of left--i.e., correct for the Ryobi instead of the reverse, which I received.

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,1566.htm
          4pc 5-3/8" Saw Blades

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004
            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Place the blade one arbor so that the cutting edge of the teeth is facing forward. The saw cuts on the up-swing. On a saw with the blade on the right side (the way most are) the blade will be rotating counter-clockwise (if the blade is on the left side of your saw the rotation will be clockwise). Forget about right and left and reason it out. You're letting the lettering confuse you. Oh yea, the side of the saw usually shows the direction of rotation. Keep us posted.
            Last edited by ironhat; 07-18-2007, 03:17 PM. Reason: clarity
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• gwyneth
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by ironhat
              Place the blade one arbor so that the cutting edge of the teeth is facing forward. The saw cuts on the up-swing. On a saw with the blade on the right side (the way most are) the blade will be rotating counter-clockwise (if the blade is on the left side of your saw the rotation will be clockwise). Forget about right and left and reason it out. You're letting the lettering confuse you. Oh yea, the side of the saw usually shows the direction of rotation. Keep us posted.
              Actually, the question could be rephrased as, 'is there any reason the lettering side has to be up'...as high-tech as saw blade and tooth design is, I thought it was a possibility that the sides were not mirror-images, and thus not invertable.

Comment

Working...