• Show
Clear All
  • jon_ramp
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • western Chicago burb
    • Craftsman 21829

combination blade under $50

Looking to replace the blade that came with my Craftsman 21829. I'd like to stay under $50. Thinking about the DeWalt DW7150PT ($37) or DW7140PT ($41). Which would you go with?

I see others here like the 50T Freud Diablo ($33). Would those two DeWalts be noticeably better?

For now, I'm a one-blade man, so I want it to work well for cross, rip and ply cuts. Is there another blade or model under $50 that would perform as well or better than these?
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

I've got a Freud LU86 on my 21829, it's great, and others like the LU88.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Read Dustmight's authoratative blade discussion ratings of a week ago, here:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=31393
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Read Dustmight's authoratative blade discussion ratings of a week ago, here:

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=31393
        Does "authoratative" mean that I said it in a deep commanding voice?

Hi Jon - I haven't had the chance to try either of those DW PT series blades, though I've had good results from any of the series 40 and series 60 blades I've tried. The PT series appears to be replacing the series 40, but that's just speculation and I'm not positive about it.

The Freud Industrial line is a step up from the Diablo and Avanti series, and is often available in the same price range so I'd suggest going with that series. The LU83R010 is the 50T TK combo from their Industrial series and it falls into price range. ..it's essentially the TK version of the popular LU84R011. The LU86R010 is a really good bargain with very good performance, but the LU88R010 is a really sweet blade if you don't need to cut more than 6/4" material...~ $45 shipped. Even if you do cut heavier material, a good 24T ripper is better off in that range anyway.

The Infinity 010-150 Combomax "Lite" (TK) is a 50T combo that has excellent crosscuts and ply characteristics and also rips well in most stock. It pushes the budget to ~ $65 but is worth some consideration.

The Forrest WWII 30T or 40T are always good bets on top performance, but both put you well over budget. If you're at all considering that price range, give the Ridge Carbide TS2000 TK some serious consideration....$82 shipped from Holbren with "BT310" code...it's like a 40T WWII TK on steroids.
        Last edited by Knottscott; 07-17-2007, 04:53 PM.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...