• cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Air compressor question

I saw one of these in the store today:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Powerm...597462&sr=1-15

It was at Menards and after the discounts and stuff it comes to about $50. But the real attraction, AFAIC, is the weight. 20lbs!

It is obviously small and only rated up to 100psi. They don't mention the CFM. I'm wondering whether this thing could be used to drive some pneumatic tools like a small pinner/crown stapler. And would it be able to drive a finish nailer (like 15-gauge, maybe 2-1/2" long nails)?

I've looked at the ratings on the pneumatic tools at Amazon and I typically see a range of 70-100psi.

My use is very, very occasional. I think maybe I'd use it once or twice a year. I really like the low-weight aspect of it (I have a pancake which is just too heavy to tote around).
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Sounds cheap enough. But your pancake will do the same work, and if you only use it a few times a year, seems like a duplication to have another small compressor. It will do staples and pin nails. For those all you need is short quick bursts of air. Don't think it will run a continuous air tool. Being oiless, it will be noisy. If you are far from the work, use a longer air hose, not a longer electrical extension.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Nailers are take air in bursts when fired, not continuously.
      So if it will move any air at all, you just have to wiat for the air used per shot to be made up. Even a little tire-inflator can be used to file nails - I've done it.
      With that size you can probably fire a nail every few seconds for several minutes w/o any problem. May not be able to bang away 2 per second for very long.
      get it if its cheap and you want a portable source of air to fire a few nails.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

By "pancake," do you mean something similar to the 2HP, 6gal Porter-Cable like I own?

If so ... these little compressors aren't that heavy; the specs say 32 lbs. The model you're looking at is 20 lbs. Is it really worth even as little as $50 to save 12 pounds for something you say you'll use only a couple times a year?
        Larry

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

Originally posted by LarryG
          By "pancake," do you mean something similar to the 2HP, 6gal Porter-Cable like I own?

If so ... these little compressors aren't that heavy; the specs say 32 lbs. The model you're looking at is 20 lbs. Is it really worth even as little as $50 to save 12 pounds for something you say you'll use only a couple times a year?
          Yeah, but I swear my Craftsman "Commercial" is more than 32lbs. And it isn't just the higher weight, but the awkward shape. It is just hard for me to carry. The one I linked to I was able to tuck under one arm.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            get it if its cheap and you want a portable source of air to fire a few nails.
            You talked me into it.

Comment

• cgallery
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2004
              • Milwaukee, WI
              • BT3K

Originally posted by cabinetman
              Sounds cheap enough. But your pancake will do the same work, and if you only use it a few times a year, seems like a duplication to have another small compressor. It will do staples and pin nails. For those all you need is short quick bursts of air. Don't think it will run a continuous air tool. Being oiless, it will be noisy. If you are far from the work, use a longer air hose, not a longer electrical extension.
              I know, and I'm frugal (okay, I'm cheap), so buying a second of something isn't really in my nature. But it is just heavy enough and awkward enough to carry that I don't. Plus I can leave the pancake in the garage and use it to fill tires, and put the $50 wonder in the basement and actually get some guns.

I guess my bigger concern was whether the Coleman was going to be a piece of junk.

I'm sure it won't be as nice as the Craftsman, which is from their "Commercial" line is actually pretty nice.

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Coleman/Powermate doesn't list the scfm specs on their web site either.

http://www.colemanpowermate.com/comp...p0000201.shtml

There is an '800' number listed there for any questions... I'd ask them!

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...