• Show
Clear All
  • dale
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Mesa, AZ, USA.
    • BTS-15

Coating on HF Bandsaw Table?

I've got the Harbor Freight four speed bandsaw; I think it's item #32208. Anyways, I've never been able to get the miter gauge to slide through the miter slot. I think I've seen mention here that the bs tables come with some sort of coating that should be removed, but I'm not finding it in any of my searches. Anybody know what I'm talking about, or did I get things mixed up in my head?
    I really am going to make something one of these days.
  • gary
    • May 2004
    • Versailles, KY, USA.

Cosmoline - a thick kind of grease. You can use kerosene to remove it but DO IT OUTSIDE and don't burn down your house please. Coat it with Boeshield and/or wax afterward so it won't rust.
    Gary

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

after you clean off any coating, if the miter still does not slide through easily, try taking some sandpaper to the two parts; see if there are any burrs.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• eddy merckx
        Established Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Western WA
        • Shop Fox Cabinet

Hi Dale

After you clean the gunk out of the miter slot, it might be worth checking the corners of the bar on the miter gauge. If you're using the miter gauge that came with the saw (and it's the same miter gauge that came with my HF saw) it is really soft aluminum. You may have to file a little radius around the ends of the miter bar so it doesn't catch. I replaced my stock miter gauge with a cheap steel one which works much better.

Eddy

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by dale
          I've got the Harbor Freight four speed bandsaw; I think it's item #32208. Anyways, I've never been able to get the miter gauge to slide through the miter slot. I think I've seen mention here that the bs tables come with some sort of coating that should be removed, but I'm not finding it in any of my searches. Anybody know what I'm talking about, or did I get things mixed up in my head?
          Cosmoline would not hinder a miter gauge passing through a slot. Its just grease. If the table is painted around the edges there may be paint in the slot or as Loring notes the milling may not be perfect and should be sanded or filed.

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

coating on bandsaw table?

That protective coating is sort of a cosmoline type to prevent rust, had the same stuff on my HF jointer. I used some spray carbuerator cleaner from
            auto parts store, it melts that junk off real quick, just spray it on, and wipe
            it off with a paper towel. Clean up the spray with windex, wipe off, and wax the table a couple of times with Johnson's paste wax or Minwax and you should be good to go from there! eezlock

Comment

• dale
              Established Member
              • Feb 2004
              • Mesa, AZ, USA.
              • BTS-15

Like a knife through cold butter!

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. After some cleanup and far more sanding than allows me to believe that was milled properly, I can slide the miter gauge through the miter slot with almost no binding. If it bothers me any more, I'll know what to do.

Thanks again!
              I really am going to make something one of these days.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

You can get a beeswax stick at most any hdwre. store. works good for metal to metal sliding parts.

Comment

Working...