X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

Loren, I also noted the existence of a hole at 3:00, which in your picture appears to hold the pin.

Using the word 'backup' may be a little misleading to describe the technique--the idea is that the pin is a fulcrum, sort of a bearing for the workpiece until you have completed the beginning of the feed process.

Chiz, isn't it great? You already have everything you need--smaller hole plates, the pin, something to hold small parts.

Comment

• ironhat
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by gwyneth
      <snip>

Chiz, isn't it great? You already have everything you need--smaller hole plates, the pin, something to hold small parts.
      Unfortuntely, I was too ignorant to know what I had and how to use it. Every project is a new opportunity, isn't it?
      Blessings,
      Chiz

Comment

• jwaterdawg
        • Aug 2005
        • Washington, NC USA
        • JET

Just my $10^-2 but I always use a starting pin for any free-hand work regardless of how big the piece is. A router bit can be a dangerous puppy if not treated with respect. The only time I don't use one is when referencing off the fence. I just think there's too much potential to get hurt with freehanding on the routing table without one.
        Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ironhat
          Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll get on it tomorrow afternoon.
          I guess the most popular term is STARTING PIN. Here's some very good references on the 'net I googled.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/usestrtpin.html

(at the end of the article, the pivot board i suggested earlier:
          http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=17863

http://www.woodnet.net/tips/routing/...-starting-pin/
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-15-2007, 10:59 AM. Reason: add additional reference
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gwyneth
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by ironhat

Unfortuntely, I was too ignorant to know what I had and how to use it. Every project is a new opportunity, isn't it?
            We who live a long way from a builders' supply store, let alone a BORG, let alone a Woodcraft-type place, learn to get cheerful when we discover something we had no idea we needed IS ALREADY IN THE HOUSE...and possibly chuckle that, unbeknown to us it was there all along.

So it's easier for me to see the happy side of this than the 'unfortunately' part.

Comment

• ironhat
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
              • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

We who live a long way from a builders' supply store, let alone a BORG, let alone a Woodcraft-type place, learn to get cheerful when we discover something we had no idea we needed IS ALREADY IN THE HOUSE...and possibly chuckle that, unbeknown to us it was there all along.

So it's easier for me to see the happy side of this than the 'unfortunately' part.

Blessings,
              Chiz

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Imagine - i was thinking postings were sparse today, then this eye opener thread comes up. Loring, thanks a ton for that 'would have never known otherwise' piece of advice. no wonder all my end grain had gouges - so much so that i gave up on routing the extremities and would sand them down . i always believed i had the wrong technique and despaired of learning the right way.

Funnily, i am sure i have seen the starting pin in a couple of books i skimmed thru - but i never read it's purpose at all.

Now I need to find a way to incorporate a pin on my shop-made table. Shall try Loring's dowel technique first, then maybe order it.
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

DIY router table starting pin

Here, I made one in about 10 minutes of shop time.
                  Used approx 1-1/4" long 1/2" dowel and a store-bought 1/4" dowel pin.

Fits snugly into the 1/4" hole in my router table I have for the starter pin.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-15-2007, 12:03 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...