Decided to upgrade to a REAL Bandsaw... Need opinions...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Decided to upgrade to a REAL Bandsaw... Need opinions...

I've made up my mind to put the benchtop BS out to pasture and go for the gold, so to speak, with a 17" or 18" cabinet unit. Would like to keep things around $1000-1100 delivered, but might pop for a couple more Benjamins for something decidedly better. I've looked at the Grizz 17" Extreme Series, and the Shop Fox 17" (seems like pretty much the same as the Grizz), and have also looked at the slightly more expensive Steel City 18" (although sawing capacity is much the same as other 17" units). All are 2-HP 2-speed units with similar features, but the Steel City does have a foot brake and a 5-year warranty. I have decided (although not final) to avoid the Jets and the Deltas, because they seem to be the same saw for more money, and reviews I have seen are actually lukewarm on them, anyway. I know that HF has one 17" on their "Special Order" program, but they won't take a 15-20% off coupon online , and I'm not a big fan of their big tools anyway.

So what do y'all think? Anybody got the Grizz, Fox, or SC saw? Or the HF? Or maybe something I haven't thought about? I'm all ears.
  • gwyneth
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Bayfield Co., WI

The 14" deluxe Rikon (not the regular) resaws 13" out of the box, has gotten great reviews, can take the wider blades, and costs about $750 (maybe less than you want to spend).

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by gwyneth
      The 14" deluxe Rikon (not the regular) resaws 13" out of the box, has gotten great reviews, can take the wider blades, and costs about $750 (maybe less than you want to spend).
      Thanks, Gwyneth, I had not considered that one. A 13" re-saw capacity on a 14" BS is great. And I have a Woodcraft store here, so I can probably see one assembled (not to mention that Woodcraft is giving 10% off on most of their tools right now). I don't think the one-half less horsepower would be a problem for me, either. Anybody have one of these?

Comment

• movnup
        Established Member
        • Aug 2006
        • Seattle
        • BT3000

As an FYI, there was just a review this month (July Issue)in Woodworking Journal that tested fourteen brand name bandsaws for set up, ease of use, blade changing, resaw, table top, guides etc. and the Rikon came out on top. It was a very through review so it would be well worth your time to take a gander at it ....

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

There was an excellent comparison between the Jet and the Steel City on the "Knots" website done by "SargeGrinder47" who also frequents this site.

http://forums.taunton.com/fw-knots/messages?msg=31804.1
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Thom2
            Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
            • Jan 2003
            • Stevens, PA, USA.
            • Craftsman 22124

Massingale should make his way thru here shortly, but here's a link to his impression of his 10-325 in the meantime.
            If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
            **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• gwyneth
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
              Thanks, Gwyneth, I had not considered that one. A 13" re-saw capacity on a 14" BS is great. And I have a Woodcraft store here, so I can probably see one assembled (not to mention that Woodcraft is giving 10% off on most of their tools right now). I don't think the one-half less horsepower would be a problem for me, either. Anybody have one of these?
              When you look at one, make sure it's the deluxe--I believe you can distinguish them by the light on the deluxe (and certainly the price).

I haven't seen the review movnup mentioned--it got good reviews from other magazines, too (I'm always impressed when consensus is reached, independently).

I'm also thinking the '1/2 horsepower less' may be a spurious comparison (in otherwords in relative terms it may actually be a more powerful motor because the blade length is shorter, but I could be full of poop here.) But I am pretty sure that if it can really resaw 13" it couldn't possibly be short on power.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

Thanx all. I just now caught the review in WWJ (August issue, actually). They rank the Rikon as the best buy in the test, with no negative comments at all. I checked the local Woodcraft, and they do have a couple of them (Deluxe model confirmed), and are discounting 10% this month (end result: $675 +tax). Sounds like a score to me (wasn't really looking forward to hauling one of those 500lb. beasts around the shop anyway). Thanks all for the input, and it'll be a couple of days before I can pick one up, so if there's any more to be told, I'd still love to hear it.

Cracker

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Cracker,

I've had my Rikon 14" Deluxe for about 7 months and it really does live up to all the hype.

First of all, it comes in one carton complete with molded styrofoam. In fact the foam is so precise, I had a major job getting it out of the box. The foam formed a vacuum with the carton, making it a chore, but one that I felt great about.

As mine was sent by common carrier, the box ewas both strapped and shrink wrapped to the pallet, now that the way to insure no transportaation damage.

The only assembly was the lower cabinet and that a breeze, only some minor adjustments had to be made to get in tune. One required calling Rikon, they're in Mass. and the guy I spoke with was more than knowledgeable. He took his time and turned me on to some nifty hints.

The saw is incredable, with a Timberwolf blade on it, I've resawed maple that was 6/4 x 8" wide, no problem at all.

You're making a great choice, I just cant wait until my BT bites the dust, Rikon is coming out with a 10" cabinet saw.

The only negative is the instruction sucks.

Bruce
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                    • Nov 2004
                    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                    • Delta Contractor Saw

Ditto everything Bruce said including the instruction sucks.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

Thanks guys... I'm really starting to get excited about it now!

Comment

• gwyneth
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2006
                        • Bayfield Co., WI

Is there a relative of the "tool gloat", for suggesting something not previously considered that works out great? If so, I'm feeling it.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                          The Full Monte
                          • May 2007
                          • Sunshine State
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by gwyneth
                          Is there a relative of the "tool gloat", for suggesting something not previously considered that works out great? If so, I'm feeling it.
                          And proud you should be. I had not even considered a 14" saw, as I assumed the re-saw limitations were pretty much global. I was sure wrong about this saw. It's a tempest in a teapot.

And I'll keep thanking you every time I use it, unless of course, I cut my finger off, in which case, you'll hear some new words...

Comment

• gwyneth
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2006
                            • Bayfield Co., WI

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                            And proud you should be. I had not even considered a 14" saw, as I assumed the re-saw limitations were pretty much global. I was sure wrong about this saw. It's a tempest in a teapot
                            Don't know if proud is the right word, but it is neat--particularly how it combined with the Woodcraft sale and, if you don't have to pay shipping, that fact. You'll be able to acquire a great mobile base and a resaw fence for part of what you save.

Vicarious thrills for me--when my house and or 'shop' situation is settled I've been planning to get the Rikon. Especially frustrating because the third or fourth fix for the table of my benchtop BS has just failed (the model is proof that Delta is not immune to bad engineering).

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Howdy Uncle Cracker...

After doing an extensive 2 month search that culminated at the Atlanta IWF last fall where I was able to "compare all of them side by side".. here's what I purchased. Have a look at the BS's personally and let the BS tell you which one you want.

Compared to others I chose my BS as it has double springs.. re-enforced upper case arm.. re-forced spring mounts.. the best dust collection of the lot.. a larger hub and bearing case than the competitors.. a larger table and a 5 Year Warranty. Other than that, they're all about the same as the Steel City IMO.

Good luck with whatever you purchase...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...