X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Workman
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Grizzly GO555 band saw motor burn out

While resawing some 8" red oak on my Grizz 555 bandsaw with riser this weekend, my motor overheated. The saw is only 1 and 1/2 years old (6 mos. off warranty). It has the stock 1 hp motor on it. The saw will come on but starts smelling hot with no load now. Is motor replacement the only option? If so, since I have a lot of resawing to do (oak, walnut, cherry, maple all waiting to be resawn) should I replace it with more hp? How much? My shop is currently wired only for 110, although all equipment is on a separate circuit. I would especially appreciate the help of any other GO555 owners out there. I am rather upset that my "new" bandsaw motor with non-industrial use developed problems so quickly.
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

You can take your motor to a local motor shop and have them test it. Normally there is a small charge, but some do small motors like that for free. The odor may be of concern, but may also just be a byproduct of the previous overheating. The shop will ohm out the coils to see if there are any shorts. What I would be more concerned about is that the motor you have may not have any thermal overload protection, so it will indeed burn up if overloaded. If you replace it, I'd spend a little extra to get that protection. As for upsizing the motor, if you are determined to do it, I wouldn't go above 1.5 hp, and you still may need to upsize the plug and cord, internal wiring and even the on/off switch. I'd call Grizz and ask their guidance on that. Also, be aware that an 8" resaw may be too much work for your saw, depending on several variables, including the width of the blade, resin build-up on the blade, type and moisture content of the wood, how aggressively you feed the work, etc. I found out the hard way that, just because the guide capacity opens to 12" or whatever, it doesn't mean you can resaw 12" timbers all day. One additional suggestion I would make is that often the wood will compress behind the blade, causing it to bind. It may help to wedge the kerf open to relieve the friction.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

IMO the 1 hp motor shouldn't over heat to the point of getting the windings hot enough to smell. I resawed plenty with the HF 1 HP BS I had had it did well. The motor will get dang hot to the touch, but the burnt smell is not good. The motor on my Rikon gets so hot I thought it had a problem but so far it is doing great.
      I agree with Unc about calling grizzly. Politely complain about the problem, and see what they offer, and definitely get their input on increasing the motor size.
      Good luck,

Comment

• Tamarack
        Established Member
        • Oct 2003
        • Speedwell, TN USA
        • BT3100

Their new "super" 555 has a 1.5 horse motor, if you must replace the motor you may want to consider using that one.
        Paul

Comment

• ragswl4
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Winchester, Ca
          • C-Man 22114

Sorry to hear about your saw. I have the same one, about the same age. I have done some resawing and occasionally trip the breaker but never overheated. My problems were always with Lyptus. Pretty hard wood and tends to warp some when resawn. Using wedges helped. I also changed from a 3/4" to 1/2" blade. That was the real problem with my saw, over bladed. I am surprised that you had this problem after so little time. Contact Grizzly and write a letter to the owner, I understand he is a great guy and may throw some help your way. He is pretty proud of their reputation. Good Luck!
          RAGS
          Raggy and Me in San Felipe
          sigpic

Comment

• Workman
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006

I followed up with Grizzly technical support staff. They told me what to check on the saw and the procedure for doing so. The motor is burnt up. 1/2 the windings are black - plastic ties inside the motor burned through. The motor is totally enclosed fan cooled with no thermocoupler. Air cannot escape this motor - it just moves around inside the motor. Grizzly tech said "we never have this problem (burnout) with this saw." But then they also said once the saw is off warranty (1 year) they will do nothing more for the customer (other than allow the custormer to purchase a new motor). The technical support could not answer the question if the 1.5 motor on the later G0555X will fit the 555. They are supposed to call me back in 24 hours with that answer. I have not yet written to the president, but I am about to. This saw had not worn out a blade yet - I have only used Timberwolf 1/2- 3TPI for resawing. Presently my experience has not been "ultimate", "you will not be disappointed", "best 14" bandsaw" or anything close. If I wind up with another Grizzly motor you can bet it will be put to the test before the warranty period expires. But I am a little hesitant to go the Grizzly way again - any other ideas or similar experiences out there?

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning Workman...

I would trust the Grizzly jointers on a 1 year warranty as they have arrived with an excellent machine. But.. I personally feel they have a little catching up to do with the BS's. And that is only because I have made side to side comparisons at IWF in Atlanta.

I opted for an 18" Steel City which I feel is the best Pacific Rim BS on the market and it will give the Itallion Stallions a run considering the price difference. And I'm not suggesting you go to an 18".. just have a look at the new Steel City 14" with riser compared to others. An excellent machine IMO.. a confident enough design the manufacturer offers a 5 YEAR WARRANTY on all their machines, not just the BS's.

Sometimes by paying "less".. ya may not be getting the "most". Not what everyone would necessarily want to hear.. but reality never-less in most cases (BTW.. not all cases and I will leave it at that).

Regards...

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

'Sometimes by paying "less".. ya may not be getting the "most". Not what everyone would necessarily want to hear.. but reality never-less in most cases (BTW.. not all cases and I will leave it at that).'

Yup, well said. It took me too long to learn that lesson, and too many $$$.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2005
                  • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                  • sears BT3 clone

if I were in your situation I would replace the grizzly, unknown manufacturer and quality, motor with a high quality american built motor. I have had nothing but great experience with Baldor motors but there are many other quality manufacturers.

as long as the frame number, voltage, rpm, and hp match up the motor will bolt right in.

if you are interested I can help you find a motor for your application, just post all of the information on the motor's data plate.
                  Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

even if you want to change saws, you have to fix it. Won't have very much value with a burned out motor compared to working BS since a prospective buyer will wonder what else is wrong with it.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

Good point, Loring. And I'll also second the motion on Baldor motors. Never burned one out, and I have several of them, from fans to pumps to tools.

Comment

• Workman
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2006

Tom (and anyone else who can help), the information on the Grizzly motor plate is:

Output 1HP
                        Hz 60
                        Volt 110/220 (I am only wired for 110)
                        Amp 10/5
                        RPM 1725
                        Phase 1
                        Pole 4
                        Heat 60C
                        Class E

Grizzly technical staff did get back to me and advised that their motor P0555X011 1.5 HP would fit, but it is on back order. Also their motor P0570096 1.5 HP would fit and it is in stock. I can't find either motor in their catalog with these numbers, but I take this to mean that I can put a 1.5 HP motor on the saw. The current switch is 18 amps. I believe they call this motor a C-mount or C-face mount or something like that. It bolts to the face of the motor rather than the base, but this could probably be adapted. Thanks to you all for your advice and special thanks to Tom for his offer to help.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2005
                          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                          • sears BT3 clone

is there a frame number? model number? any other info? I need a frame number to determine the correct motor.
                          alternately
                          if you pull the motor and measure the diameter and length of the shaft, measure the diameter of the bolt pattern on the face mount.

it may be a frame 56C motor which is very common.
                          if you pull the motor compare it to this drawing and see if it matches.
                          http://www.baldor.com/DMS/documents/...3d35LYE024.pdf

it is from www.baldor.com
                          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...