• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Storing router bits in wood holes?

Is it okay to store router bits so the shank is in a wood hole? My concern would be rust or interaction between the steel and the wood. Like many others, I suppose, I use some router bits every week and others once a year or less.
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I used to store my bits that way but, as you suspected, the shanks soon started to show signs of rust. I now use these router bit holders that I got from Lee Valley. They're not all that expensive and I haven't had any rust issues since I started using them.

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I agree that wood holes make for rusted shanks. I have a set of about 100 router bits here and about 50 in the States in an organizer made from plywood. I spray the plywood with oil based spray about once a year.

I would like to see sets of plastice insets like at LeeValley but cheaper, something that I could just drill out the plywood holes a little larger and put the plastic inserts in.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

How would they handle in plastic?

I was thinking of using some cheap plastic cutting boards, when I build my router cabinet.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• ryan.s
          • Feb 2006
          • So Cal
          • Ridgid TS3650

I store my bits in a MDF drawer drilled with holes and finished with a couple of coats of poly. I also threw in a couple packets of desiccant and haven't seen any signs of rusting.

Edit: They've been stored in there about a year or so.
          Last edited by ryan.s; 06-09-2007, 02:06 AM.

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
            How would they handle in plastic?

I was thinking of using some cheap plastic cutting boards, when I build my router cabinet.
            I think you may be onto something w/ the plastic cutting boards. I had been thinking some scraps of polycarbonate. But I think the plastic cuttings boards would be cheaper, more readily available, and easier to machine.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

My router bits are all stored in drilled holes in scraps of 2x4s made into drawers on my router table. I have had no issue with rust. My shop is in an unheated garage in the basement of my home in South Carolina so there is some humidity. I do not see why there would be rust unless the wood is wet to start with. The scraps I used had been laying around a year or more so they were pretty dry. My bits have been stored this way for several years.

Jim

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by JimD
                . . . I do not see why there would be rust unless the wood is wet to start with.
                Jim
                Maybe that is my problem . . . I used marine grade plywood! Seriously, No I used cabinet grade plywood that was not stored outside. I have two sets, one in the US and one here in Japan.

The US set and holder, I left in my house, under the bed for a year and it started developing small rust spots at the point of shaft/hole contact. Against all common sense of using silicone, I soaked the wood with WD 40 before putting the 50 to 60 bits in it.

Same thing for a larger set here, except that it is stored in a small insulated shed.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• sweensdv
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • WI
                  • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by leehljp
                  ..............I would like to see sets of plastice insets like at LeeValley but cheaper, something that I could just drill out the plywood holes a little larger and put the plastic inserts in.
                  Something like this. You can buy the bushing by themselves. I used to use these but I don't any longer. They work great for keeping the shanks rust free but they have a tendency sometimes to come out of the hole along with the router bit. Not really a big deal but I don't have that problem with the Lee Valley ones.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

How about this for an idea?
                    Get some rubber or vinyl tubing with an 1/2" ID.
                    Drill your board with a hole to match the OD of the tubing.
                    Cut the tubing to length = thickness of the board. You can glue it to the inside of the hole in your board if you need. Will both cushion and hold your bit securely.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...