• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lkazista
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Grizzly G1030 Dust Collector

So, I stumbled upon a local cabinet maker moving to Florida. He was selling off a 3 year old Grizzly Dust collector, Model G1030. It is the 3 HP, 220V, single phase, double stack (2 sided, 4 bags total), unit. He was missing all of the bags, but the impeller looked great, and the motor works.

$100 later, I have this sitting in my shop. Here is my question, since I have never owbed a collector before. According to the Grizzly site, I need cloth bags for all 4 locations, 2 on top and 2 on bottom.

Can't I just use the clear plastic bags for the bottom instead of the fabric?

As for the tops, I can get the 2.5 micron bags for like $35 each, or should I just suck it up and go with canisters? Who should i get the canisters from?

Cheers,
    Lee
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

so THAT'S WHO beat me out on that unit!!!!!!

congrats on a sweet deal, I'd only run plastic bottoms if using cartridges, however, 2 cartridges at wynn are gonna set ya back $200-$300. Considering the size of this thing, I don't think running bags would be detrimental for a small shop. I think I'd probably just bag it.
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

Dust collector performance is measured in CFM. There a number of factors contributing to CFM, such size of the duct, number of open gates, performance of the impeller, and the amount of flow out of the DC through the filters.

If you put plastic bags on bottom and cloth bags on top, your overall performance is diminishe by 50% of capacity.

The pleated canister filters have more surface area. So, even though they filter more finely, they move more air. In smaller systems it's common to have a pleated filter on top and plastic bag on bottom.

In your situation, in which you have a mondo system, Thom's suggestion would most likely work just fine. System performance is going to me much higher than in the typical 1.5-2 HP units. Restricting output will bring it back to something around the lower-performance systems.

OTOH, install a couple of canisters and you will never have to worry about how many gates are open, how far the jointer is from the DC, or any other foolishness we mortals are concerned with.

JR
      JR

Comment

• lkazista
        Established Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Nazareth, PA, USA.

So JR, with all of that being said, why does anyone use plastic bags for the bottom? Is it because they are in theory ZERO micron bags, ease of disposal, or cost effectiveness?

Amazing that I finally own a tool that seems to be of 'higher' caliber than other people on this site. Now if I can just wire up that 220 outlet, figure out what size canisters, and maybe run some duct.

Last thing I need is a dust collector collecting dust in my shop!?!

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Originally posted by lkazista
          So JR, with all of that being said, why does anyone use plastic bags for the bottom?
          Well, I can tell you why I did it on my HF 2HP unit. I bought the Winn pleated filter. It has more throughput than the original two 30-micron bags. The plastic bag is easier to empty and I have better performance.

JR
          JR

Comment

• lkazista
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Nazareth, PA, USA.

Originally posted by JR
            Well, I can tell you why I did it on my HF 2HP unit. I bought the Winn pleated filter. It has more throughput than the original two 30-micron bags. The plastic bag is easier to empty and I have better performance.

JR
            Can't hurt to try it out. Thank you Thom and JR for the mini education on CFM and the such.

Best,

Lee

Comment

• Tom Miller
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Twin Cities, MN
              • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Another thing to consider is the DC plumbing of your shop, and how that will affect the flow. The point being, why go overboard on maintaining high CFM rating with the bags/filters, if you're planning to use 4" pvc plumbing? In that case, I wonder if you could just blank off one set of bags, and just use a single top/bottom bag.

Or, you could use that motor/impeller to suck on a cyclone....

Regards,
              Tom

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Lee, my recommendation is this:

You have a machine that's probably twice what you need for a one-man, one-machine at a time shop.

If you plumb it for its capacity, then you will be drawing 15Amps at 220V all while you run it, and have to pay out the yang for two sets of bags and plumbing for at least 6 or 8" which will cost quite a bit.

My suggestion is prestend you have a 1.5 to 2 HP system instead of a 3 HP system. to plumb for 4 to 6" lines, plug off on side (top and bottom bags). You have now choked off your system to run at about half its CFM, this will also make your motor run somewhere arond half the power consumption (because air moving fans consume power according to the air it moves.)
                I assume the dust bag rings are 20" diameter, so you should have no problem finding bags and canisters to fit (well, no more problem than someone with a 2HP HF DC) - the Wynn should work well, or Grizzly, pennstate, and Jet all make retro canisters that will fit better with a beater bar to clean them with. Then put a plastic bag on the bottom.

My main reservation is this: You may find the DC very noisy. What may happen is that the impellor will turn and try to displace its rated flow of air. since its partially choked off, it make make a lot of noise from turbulence in the fan housing. You will notice this effect if you run a shop vac for instance, and partially cover the end of the hose it will get louder. Same with a DC, if you close of the intake and run thru a smaller hole then the whole system gets noiser.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...