• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

nailer problem - running out of ammo

This happened to me for the second time, today.

I was happily nailing away at the new planter box. I normally like to glue, clamp up, then brad nail my outside projects together, then I can remove the clamps and let it "set".

This time I was changing to a short brad to tack on some detail items when I opened the nailer to remove the longer nails. There weren't any. That meant that I must have run out somewhere in the middle of my nailing and was just leaving dents behind as evidence.

At least this time it was still clamped up... last time I removed the clamps and the whole thing fell apart about a minute later.

I had to get a flashlight and try to inspect the holes for brad or no brad... I ended up reshooting most of it, 2 brads are better than none.

Who else does this and how do you know when you run out of brads? I must get on a roll, see the dents, and just not notice I'm shooting blanks.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • p8ntblr
    • Jan 2007
    • So Cal
    • Craftsman 22114

I've done that a few times. I wish brad/finish nailers were like my framing nail gun in that it won't shoot when there are only a few nails left in the clip.
    I don't have a great soln for you except knowing how much your clip can hold and keep track of how many you've gone through. But if you're like me, you'll end up forgetting and still end up shooting air.
    -Paul

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

I have run out (more then I care to admit), while, "just a few till the glue dries", LOL

I've been afraid to try it as I was thinking it might jam the gun more, but I always wondered about painting the last quarter inch of nails, all the way down them. I was hoping it would leave a sandable mark, so I would know.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• MilDoc

With the Porter-Cable guns I have there is a distinct difference in sound and slight "jolt" when the gun is empty.

Comment

• jhart
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Most of the time, I take a quick check to see about how many brads are left, and then be ready to resupply. Mine are PC also, and I agree with MilDoc, that they make a slightly different sound when firing blanks. That said, I still don't always catch it and have to shoot a few of them after a refill. I do like the PC framing nailer that stops firing with a couple left. Wish the others had that feature also.
          Joe
          "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I go along with Paul on the sound, and add that after experience with the same gun there is also a different "feel" to the shot. I don't know if I would call it exactly a "jolt", but there is definitely a less of a metallic feel. A lot of guns have a "view" window on the magazine so you don't have to disengage the magazine and slide it out to check it.

Comment

• scorrpio
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

A quick note: to determine where you shot a brad, and where you didn't, a wall stud detector works real well.

That said, here's a tip I read: keep a bright red permanent marker handy, and put a inch-long red line on the clip where it will show in the view window. Then, when you see red in the window, you know the clip is running out.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

I have a pin nailer and brad nailers in 2 sizes. All of them make a different sound when they are shooting blanks. I guess this is not true of all nailers, though.

Comment

• ragswl4
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Winchester, Ca
                  • C-Man 22114

I have an HF brad\stapler which has a window where you can see if there are any left. Problem is I don't look at it and still run out. I usually catch it in 3 or 4 empty shots.
                  RAGS
                  Raggy and Me in San Felipe
                  sigpic

Comment

• crokett
                    The Full Monte
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Mebane, NC, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Sound is different when I shoot a nail vs not. I also watch the nailer and refill when I am getting close to empty.
                    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Hellrazor
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Abyss, PA
                      • Ridgid R4512

Originally posted by MilDoc
                      With the Porter-Cable guns I have there is a distinct difference in sound and slight "jolt" when the gun is empty.
                      Yuppers, thats one thing I really like about my PC nailers.

Comment

• radhak
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • Miramar, FL
                        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I am sure my PC guns have a different 'nuance' when shooting blanks, but i am too much of a novice to actually catch it when it happens: I did run into this problem myself .

But they do have a small window where the nails are visible, and to be doubly-sure I painted the inside background of that window red, and when in use keep checking that window. When the red shows up, I simply re-fill, even though there are around 10/15 odd nails still left - better safe than sorry.
                        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                        - Aristotle

Comment

• JSCOOK
                          • Sep 2006
                          • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

I keep count of how many I fire ... (ya right) ... my Ridgid nailers make a very distinct different noise when its empty ... sort of a fast "hollow" sound ...
                          Last edited by JSCOOK; 06-04-2007, 06:23 PM. Reason: FOr Poor Spelling and sentence
                          "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Unfortunately I don't think i can hear a difference between an empty shot and a nail on my Craftsman brad nailer.

I'll just have to count. Like my Hero "Dirty" Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood)...
                            "yeah, this is a 100 PSI brad nailer, the most powerful nailer in the house. I can't remember if if fired 99 or 100 brads. The question is, tubafor, do ya feel lucky?"
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• lcm1947
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Austin, Texas
                              • BT 3100-1

Kind of funny in a way. No offence but it is - kinda. Yeah that could be a problem. Never thought about it and I guess I just kinda thought the gun wouldn't fire but guess not. Anyway glad you had the clamps still on Loring.
                              May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

Working...