• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

What to do about router bits?

My router bit collection is a hodge podge. I've got a Hickory set (about 25 bits, I think) which I got at Amazon for next to nothing. And I have about ten other bits I purchased (mostly locally) as I needed them over the last 15 years.

I've been doing more routing, though, and some of my bits are pretty dull. From time to time, I've cleaned my own bits and honed them with a diamond credit-card plate. Doesn't really help much.

Do you guys send bits out of sharpening? How much does it cost? Does it reduce the diameter? Do you hone your own bits? Is there a particular diamond stone that you've found works well (my CC plate is kinda hard to navigate into the straight bits).

I've thought of replacing my most commonly used bits with some Whiteside bits. The straight bits are obvious targets for replacement. A few piloted bits, too.

Do the premium bits warrant the price? If the bit is twice the price, does it actually last twice as long before sharpening becomes necessary? Is the carbide really superior? Are there other design considerations that I'm not taking into account? FWW said Whiteside is the best, is that hype?

Feel free to tell me whatever you know about router bits.
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

I don't go through that many router bits to the point that they won't cut anymore. I have gone through a few straight bits and some spiral cutters. And a couple of round overs. I clean them fairly regularly with simple green, keeps the pitch off, but once they really start to burn and not cut well I just replace them.

I don't use THAT many profiles in the things that I build, lately I've been replacing the more commonly used profiles with better versions, jury is still out as to the worth of that though.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I've had panel raisers sharpened, and would consider sharpening some of my other more expensive specialty bits, but I've never considered sharpening a $2-$5 common profile bit. Sharpening would most likely change the geometry to some degree. I would consider sharpening some of my Whiteside, CMT, Infinity, etc. bits, but have been replacing my cheapies with higher quality as I go....would have been cheaper to buy the good ones in the first place!

Holbren's deal on the Whitesides are pretty attractive with the "BT310" discount code.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

For most of your carbide router bits the carbide is a flat piece attached to a surface perpendicular to the cutting direction. there's a flat face surface and a profile edge. When sharpened, they should polish down the flat face, making it the carbide thinner but maintaining the profile. In this way the bit can be sharpened several times w/o changing the profile.

In Houston, I see a price list of $5,6, and 7 for sharpening 1, 2 and 3-flute, respectively, carbide router bits.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...