• Show
Clear All
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Amazon Rant-Right Place??

Don't know if this belongs here. Got my Hitachi M12V2 today. Opened the box and found dust on nearly everything, greasy fingerprints on the owners manual, dings and scratches on the router body and scrathes on the bottom plate. Obviously got a used or factory refurbished tool which was not indicated on Amazon when I purchased the router. Maybe that's why the price drop to $118. At this point I feel pretty much scammed and disappointed with this experience with AMAZON.COM. Just thought I would let the neighborhood know. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Give their CS a call. I'd be surprised if they didn't make it right for you.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• p8ntblr
      • Jan 2007
      • So Cal
      • Craftsman 22114

Originally posted by Dustmight
      Give their CS a call. I'd be surprised if they didn't make it right for you.
      My exact thoughts. I've had very good experiences from their CS. They usually get back to me within a couple of hours and have always been accommodating.
      -Paul

Comment

• Alex Franke
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Chapel Hill, NC
        • Ryobi BT3100

I agree -- I've had nothing but excellent experiences with Amazon customer service.
        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• Tequila
          • Aug 2004
          • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

If the box was sealed, there's a good chance that Amazon didn't know it was used or refurbed. I'd be willing to bet that they send you a replacement and let you send the used one back with free shipping. I've found their customer service to be fantastic - give them a chance to make it right.
          -Joe

Comment

• MilDoc

If you are certain you weren't buying a refurb, I second what Tequila said.

I've bought "new" stuff at Wal-Mart, HD, Lowes, only to get it home, open it up, find it was a "return" and parts were missing.

Comment

• ragswl4
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Winchester, Ca
              • C-Man 22114

I sent an email to them and I agree with all about their CS. I have had some minor problems before and they corrected, shipping at their cost. I guess I was just surprised and upset at the situation. Sent a calm and cool email as I know the person on the other end isn't the enemy and not involved.
              RAGS
              sigpic

Comment

• parnelli
                • Aug 2004
                • bt3100

Originally posted by MilDoc
                If you are certain you weren't buying a refurb, I second what Tequila said.

I've bought "new" stuff at Wal-Mart, HD, Lowes, only to get it home, open it up, find it was a "return" and parts were missing.
                I recently messed up selecting shipping choices with Amazon and neglected to choose free shipping. When I asked about it, they refunded my $8 even though they had already sent it out fedex two day.

As for buying used stuff, a couple years back I bought a new kitchen faucet from the BORG. After contorting myself and getting it installed, it leaked like crazy from the spout base. So I take the cartridge out and reinstall everything making sure all is tight etc. I do this twice before I notice that the instructions refer to a green part while mine is black.

I go back to the borg and buy a second one. Only when I get home and have both of them do I realize that to save money on a replacement cartridge, someone bought the faucet and swapped out their old cartridge for the new one and then returned the faucet.

I'd say I see used stuff sold at new about 4 or 5 times a year at the BORG now that I'm paying close attention.

Comment

• Cheeky
                  • Nov 2006
                  • westchester cty, new york
                  • Ridgid TS2400LS

good to hear they are resolving this for you rags. amazon has always been a 1st class outfit to deal with (for me).

they are phenomenal IMO

the bad: you have to wait a couple days

the good: you don't have to drive anywhere
                  Pete

Comment

• GaryA
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Tampa, FL, USA.

Originally posted by ragswl4
                    Don't know if this belongs here. Got my Hitachi M12V2 today. Opened the box and found dust on nearly everything, greasy fingerprints on the owners manual, dings and scratches on the router body and scrathes on the bottom plate. Obviously got a used or factory refurbished tool which was not indicated on Amazon when I purchased the router. Maybe that's why the price drop to $118. At this point I feel pretty much scammed and disappointed with this experience with AMAZON.COM. Just thought I would let the neighborhood know. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.
                    Rags - I just got mine today as well...just opened it, and same thing! I can't verify any saw dust, but I guess if it was a refurb, that they would have cleaned it to the point of not seeing any(?). It was sitting the wrong way in the box and pieces everywhere and the body has a few scratched areas. I fired it up, and everything appears to be OK (what a beast!). A part of me doesnt want to have to deal with the swap out...but I dont want to run into any problems down the road.
                    Gary

Comment

• ragswl4
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Winchester, Ca
                      • C-Man 22114

My thoughts exactly. After I sent a complaint email yesterday, Amazon shipped me a new one. Didn't ask them but they did it on their own. So now I have to return the first one, but based on your experience I would bet even money that I get another refurb. If I do I guess I'll have to decide if $118 for a refurb is OK. Not what I wanted. Yes, it is a beast. I have a 2 1/2 Hp Hitachi now and I swear the M12V2 feels like it weights 3 times as much. Like you I turned it on and it ran OK. Problem is you don't know is someone just didn't like it and return it or if it had a failure and repaired. Guess I'll see what happens on the next one, then decide.

By the way I couldn't get a 1/2" bit in the collet at first. Had to pop the collet out, then the bit would go in.
                      RAGS
                      sigpic

Comment

• GaryA
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2004
                        • Tampa, FL, USA.

Originally posted by ragswl4
                        My thoughts exactly. After I sent a complaint email yesterday, Amazon shipped me a new one. Didn't ask them but they did it on their own. So now I have to return the first one, but based on your experience I would bet even money that I get another refurb. If I do I guess I'll have to decide if $118 for a refurb is OK. Not what I wanted. Yes, it is a beast. I have a 2 1/2 Hp Hitachi now and I swear the M12V2 feels like it weights 3 times as much. Like you I turned it on and it ran OK. Problem is you don't know is someone just didn't like it and return it or if it had a failure and repaired. Guess I'll see what happens on the next one, then decide.

By the way I couldn't get a 1/2" bit in the collet at first. Had to pop the collet out, then the bit would go in.
                        Yep - I had the exact same collet issue, and got it working by popping it out. Let me know how your replacement turns out - if it is new or the same deal. Do you know when you'll receive it?
                        Gary

Comment

• ragswl4
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Winchester, Ca
                          • C-Man 22114

Gary A. I think I should get it early next week. Usually takes about4 workdays with standard UPS shipping. I have been thinking about this and believe its possible that a bunch of folks ordered that router when Amazon had that deal for Hitachi 20% off if you bought $200 worth of tools. They got the router and were shocked how big it was, tried it in the hand held mode and didn't like it and returned it. Then suddenly Amazon has a lot of these returns and WHALA!! price drops to $118 and us bargain hunters grab em up and they send us the returns. Just my theory.

By the way, if you return yours you will have to pay for the shipping and then wait for Amazon to reimburse you. Its a tool thing, checked on it this morning when I could get a pre-paid mailing label.

My hopes are not high that I will get a new, untouched router.
                          RAGS
                          sigpic

Comment

• ragswl4
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Winchester, Ca
                            • C-Man 22114

Gotta Give Credit to AMAZON Customer Service

Well new router will be here Monday (we'll see if its actually new) and got a call from UPS this morning and Amazon made arrangements for UPS to pick up the first router at my home today. Pretty good service, at least on the shipping end of things. Can't complain about that.
                            RAGS
                            sigpic

Comment

• ragswl4
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Winchester, Ca
                              • C-Man 22114

Amazon Rip Off, M12V2

Received the replacement router today and the condition is the same as the first. Either used or refurbished. Called Amazon CS and they stated they were having distribution problems (Don't believe that). They offered a refund or would ship another one. As there is a high probability that I will just get another like the first two I now have to decide whether this used/refurb router is worth $118.
                              RAGS
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...