• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newood2
    • Aug 2004
    • Brooklyn, NY.
    • BT3100-1

Testing new DC Question

Is it OK to assemble a new DC(e.g HFDC), plug it in an outlet and turn it on to test the unit without any hose hooked up to it?
    Thought I read here somewhere that if I do that the amperage may increase and overheat the motor.

Howie
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

I tested my HF DC in that very way and no harm was done. Running Great!

Edit: Remember to keep hands and loose clothing away from the opening, its sucking pretty good.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Sure, you can do that for a brief test of the machine, just to make sure the motor runs and whatnot. And by "brief," I don't mean just flick the switch on and right back off. Let it run for half a minute or so ... if THAT hurts it, you got a lemon.
      Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Some DC motor-impellor combinations may be designed so close to the edge that running the motor with no restriction can lead to burning out the motor.
        They were probably designed with running at minimum a filter and some hose as a restriction.

However, this would only be a problem with turning it on and leaving it on.
        If you just want to make sure your motor runs it would be just fine to turn in on watch it turn for 15 seconds and then shut it off. I did it with my HF 2HP DC - I wanted to make sure the motor was not DOA before assembling the system.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          Some DC motor-impellor combinations may be designed so close to the edge that running the motor with no restriction can lead to burning out the motor.
          They were probably designed with running at minimum a filter and some hose as a restriction.
          Wished I had read this about one 3hp motor ago. LOL!

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

What would be kinda smart is if someone made a small $30 or $40 gizmo about the size and form factor of an outlet timer. You could dial-in a maximum amperage you wanted your motor or other device to pull. If it exceeded it, it would open and save the motor/amplifier/etc.

You could have an amperage range and a response setting (slow/medium/fast). Oh, and you could make a deluxe version with a small LCD that told you the current and average draws. The deluxe one would cost $59.

I suppose more expensive motors already have thermal overload protection. But by the time they start going thermal enough to trip I wonder if they aren't already suffering some damage. I think if I had one of the larger 3 or 5HP cyclones I would spend $50 to save me from myself opening too many gates or leaving the top off the drop bin.

Oh, and you could have a deluxe deluxe version that would include a remote control. That one would cost $120.
            Last edited by cgallery; 05-21-2007, 05:13 PM.

Comment

• Slik Geek
              • Dec 2006
              • Lake County, Illinois
              • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by cgallery
              What would be kinda smart is if someone made a small $30 or $40 gizmo about the size and form factor of an outlet timer. You could dial-in a maximum amperage you wanted your motor or other device to pull. If it exceeded it, it would open and save the motor/amplifier/etc.

You could have an amperage range and a response setting (slow/medium/fast). Oh, and you could make a deluxe version with a small LCD that told you the current and average draws. The deluxe one would cost $59.

I suppose more expensive motors already have thermal overload protection. But by the time they start going thermal enough to trip I wonder if they aren't already suffering some damage. I think if I had one of the larger 3 or 5HP cyclones I would spend $50 to save me from myself opening too many gates or leaving the top off the drop bin.

Oh, and you could have a deluxe deluxe version that would include a remote control. That one would cost $120.
              Sounds great. Maybe this is what drybij need for a response to his "Electro-Robo-Compu Wood project" post. Except this shouldn't be enclosed in wood - best to have something non-flammable.

Comment

Working...