• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidtu
    • Apr 2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • BT3100

What's a case worth?

Just curious, how do you evaluate the value of a power tool with or without the case? How much does the case add? Pick your favorite handheld too: biscuit joiner, angle grinder, nail gun, etc.

Your thoughts?
    Never met a bargain I didn't like.
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I had a poll about what people did with the cases. I found a lot of people kept them only if there were a lot of accessories for the tool. I was surprised to see how many people just chuck 'em.

Comment

• Warren
      Established Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Anchorage, Ak
      • BT3000

If it's going to be a "travelling tool" I prefer to have the case for it and the accessories. If it's for in the shop use I usually store the tools in cabinets or drawers for quick access and use I'm not interested in a case.
      A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• davidtu
        • Apr 2006
        • Seattle, WA
        • BT3100

Below is a link to BigGuz's thread, which I didn't see if before posting this. Its interesting.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...273#post271273

But if you still care to respond here with a $$$ amount, I'd be interested.
        Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

David, a gentle reminder ... this section of the forum is supposed to be strictly for Bargain ALERTS, not for discussions about how much something is worth, where can I get a coupon, etc etc etc:

Bargain Alerts
          Use this forum to post info about a great bargain you have found on any woodworking related item. Please be aware that posts in this forum will be deleted once they expire or if they are found to be unworthy. Please, no "gloats" unless it is a deal that others can get. The items posted should be new and/or refurbished merchandise, and must be available to more that just the posting individual. Also, suffecient information should be included that would allow an individual to find the item, preferably on the web or through a local store.

Questions like yours should go in either Tool Talk or Coffee Pot, I'd guess. People tend to look here only for items they're shopping for.
          Larry

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

This thread has been moved to Tool Talk. It is not offering anything for sale.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

In terms of a purchasing decision for me a case or lack thereof is not an issue. Personally I wish more of my tools would have come in cardboard boxes but I've not thrown away any of my cases.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Case adds zero value to the tool IMHO unless you are a contractor and need to tote your tools around. Otherwise they are much better suited in a cabinet, out of the case ready for use.

Comment

• drumpriest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                  • Powermatic PM 2000

I find cases usually helpful, but it depends upon how often I use the tool, and how often off site. My biscuit joiner has a case, but I never use it, probably should throw it away. I never take it anywhere, so it sits on my shelf, out of the case, just in "case" I need it.

My drill has a case, and I use it from time to time when going elsewhere to do things, again though, 80% of the time, the case is pointless. My nailers, I keep in my cases all of the time, keeps them cleaner, so they are quite useful.

So it's case by case for me. I'd rather a tool had a case than not, but after that, the usefulness is arguable.
                  Keith Z. Leonard
                  Go Steelers!

Comment

• JSCOOK
                    • Sep 2006
                    • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Your typical plastic cases add zero value IMO ... I wish most tools would come in cases like the Festools use ... the only cases I have kept have been for cordless drills as I typically take them to various projects and are handle for storing the charger and spare battery.

Otherwise I put the cases out in the RECYCLE bin ... not in the garbage.
                    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • York, PA, USA.

Oh, I do have all my nail guns that came with cases still in the case. Once I revamp shop this summer they will likely get their own dedicated cabinet. In my mind they are particularly suspect to dust.

As far as Festool Systainers go, I think I would pass as it would add $80 to the price of the tool. I mean those cases are worth the $80. Right?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

The problem with most cases is that they are blow molded with compartments to fit everything that comes with the tool and nothing else.

So if you have some additional accessories or even "ammunition" for the tool they will not fit and you end up having yet another box for storage. If the point of a box is keeping everything used together, together, then the fact that you have to have another box is defeating.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JSCOOK
                          • Sep 2006
                          • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                          As far as Festool Systainers go, I think I would pass as it would add $80 to the price of the tool.
                          And then some ... but they are nice!
                          "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2005
                            • Independence, MO, USA.
                            • bt3100

While I agree with LCHIEN, that the cases should allow you to put more in them, a lot of my stuff has to travel. Between helping family, bosses, work, and friends who ARE contractors, I use them like they are.

That said, However, they also add value as a crime fighting tool. My bil takes what I don't want, and any others he can come across, and uses them in theft sting operations. For those of you who dispose of them, have you considered offering them to your local law enforcement?
                            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• bthere
                              Established Member
                              • Jan 2007
                              • Alpharetta, GA

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                              While I agree with LCHIEN, that the cases should allow you to put more in them, a lot of my stuff has to travel. Between helping family, bosses, work, and friends who ARE contractors, I use them like they are.

That said, However, they also add value as a crime fighting tool. My bil takes what I don't want, and any others he can come across, and uses them in theft sting operations. For those of you who dispose of them, have you considered offering them to your local law enforcement?
                              That's a good idea. I had my PC circular saw at a friend's house helping with a deck. I left the case in his garage, and, while we around back working, someone stole the case. All I lost with the case was the edge guide and my good humor. If supplying cases to law enforcement would help catch these types of people, I'm all for it.

Comment

Working...