• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwaterdawg
    • Aug 2005
    • Washington, NC USA
    • JET

hitachi scroll saw?

Does anyone know anything about a scroll saw made by Hitachi? I was strolling through a Lowes the other day and noticed two Hitachi boxes way up high on the top rack clearly marked scroll saw. I was in a hurry and didn't have time to get a model number or item number, and a search on google hasn't turned up much information.

Has anyone seen one of these up close? I've been happy with all my Hitachi tools so I am curious about this scroll saw. If memory serves I believe it was a 16" and came with a stand.

Thanks for any info.
    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.
  • Hoover
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • USA.

I also was in Lowe's today, and noticed that they are replacing a lot of Delta items with Task Force and Hitachi. The scroll saw was not set up on display, but you are correct it does come with a stand.
    I have a Hitachi miter saw and a router, both seem to be solid tools.
    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I saw that last weekend - it had a HUGE box compared to the delta 16" scroll saw. Must have been the stand...
      Didn't really pay much attention.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
        • Dec 2006
        • hagerstown, md

Hitachi are rolling out a lot of new items at Lowes. They have a disc/belt sander out for 149 and a 13" drill press for 149 as well.

I looked at the scroll saw the other day and it looked nice but I dont know enough about scroll saws to say if it was any good though.
        パトリック
        daiku woodworking
        ^deshi^
        neoshed

Comment

• ebrye

I have seen the saw as well. It looks exactly like my Craftsman scroll saw.

-Eric

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
          Hitachi are rolling out a lot of new items at Lowes. They have a disc/belt sander out for 149 and a 13" drill press for 149 as well.

I looked at the scroll saw the other day and it looked nice but I dont know enough about scroll saws to say if it was any good though.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I have seen the saw set up and looked it over. It's not a DW 788 and a step below a Dremmel which I am not crazy about compared to the DeWalt 788. I have not used it or doubt many have at this point, but I would probably pay the price before I bought a Dremmel personally as it looks basically solid on the surface.

It's a case of you get what you pay for, but from the looks it may close to what you would pay for the Dremmel if it didn't have the little disc sander on the side, IMO. Again.. only an observation guess as I have not test driven it!

Regards...

Comment

• ragswl4
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Winchester, Ca
              • C-Man 22114

I saw the Hitachi in my local Lowes and it is either an exact copy of the Tradesman or a Tradesman in Hitachi clothing. I bought the Tradesman on clearance about a year ago for $59 + tax. It was worth the $59. Price here is $159. It is pretty heavy so not a lot of vibration as long as its bolted down. The little air tube for blowing dust away from the blade was basically useless and the light as well. Cut a couple of pieces of 3/4" oak with it and did OK. I purcased a bandsaw shortly after that and never really used it much. Sold it recently for $50.

I believe the Craftsman 16" is the same saw. Knobology looks identical.
              RAGS
              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
              sigpic

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

Scroll saws are a tricky subject I think. There are certainly things that require them, but sometimes (as in ragswl4's case) it's really a bandsaw that you want.

I have the dewalt 788, and use if for fine scrolling, template cutting, marquetry, and inlay work. It is great, but certainly no replacement for a good bandsaw. In fact, for marquetry I cut my own veneers, so both tools are highly important for that task.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• scrollsawguy

ive seen it, tryed it, dont like it...

hi, im an intarsia artist, and ive used or bought almost every scrollsaw on the market. my friend was just getting into the artform, so he spotted it n thought the price was right for his first saw. well after 30 minutes of working on it he called me with a few questions about how saws should act. i was a little confused when he told me the brand name, and since he was just a few minutes away, i d come by n get the kinks out of it. i found the blade holder not to bad, the stand went together really well, BUT as soon as i turned it on ,it had the wierdest vibration. resetting the blade straightness, height, and tightness started it up again on slow, no vibration. but as soon as i turned it to 2/3 speed the machine was vibrating soo bad the stand moved 6 inches in a moment. thinking it might get better , i turned it to full. well, i though a jet was starting up in the shop,bouncing off the floor atleast an inch,shaking wildly. i turned it of, helped him repackage it, took it back with him, and headed for the next tool store. got him a dewalt with stand n light for 60 dollars more. to this day, everytime we see each other we smile n say: been riding that scrollsaw lately: and chuckle.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Morning Scrollsawguy..

You stated you returned it and got a DW for $60 more.... just curious as to what the Hitachi cost as I notice you live in Alberta? I do believe that the DW would cost much more here than the Hitachi and $60 won't fill the gap. What is the going rate for DW and Hitachi in Canada I suppose is the question as my curiousity is up?

I just purchased a DW 788 for $225 factory re-conditioned, but it was purchased through a freind that is a DW customer service rep here in Atlanta at emloyee price. The H is around $159 U.S. $ and the DW is around $489 U.S. which is a significant difference.

Regards...

Comment

• drumpriest
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                      • Powermatic PM 2000

Absolutely a big difference, that's why I say you really should consider what you are going to do with your scroll saw. Obviously you can't predict how much you will enjoy scrolling, but you may have a good idea of the kinds of projects that you might want to attempt.

I got my dewalt for 385$ during a Rockler 12% off sale while dewalt was running a 60$ rebate, or some such combo. If you are patient enough, you can find it at a more reasonable price, but it's still significantly higher.
                      Keith Z. Leonard
                      Go Steelers!

Comment

Working...