• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoly
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Kreg Bandsaw Fence?

With the 20% off sale the fence can be had for $88.99 + Shipping. Have been thinking about building a fence system but with the cost of fixtures may not be saving much and do have other things to do. My BS has a bit of drift and I'm wondering if there is adjustment on the Kreg fence to counter the drift? Those of you with this fence, how do you like it and did you add the micro adjuster?
    Thanks
    Steve
    It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I bought what was the predecessor to the Kreg BS fence, the one by Mark Duginske. I think for most discussion, its the same fence.
    I got the microadjuster, its not as nice as the microadjuster for the BT3 TS for example, but it is useful for making small adjustments. The tightening for the fence being a single point knob, when you loosen the knob to move the fence, it waggles all over and you don't have a clear feeling for how much you moved it. I use the micro thing and I can loosen the know, turn the microadjust screw 1/16th and lock the knob and be confident the fence moved over 1/16th. I think this is essential.

I've not made adjustments for drift more than once or twice, I have to use shims between the two points where the fence attaches to the rail mounted lock. somewhat crude.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tequila
      • Aug 2004
      • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I have one on my Hitachi band saw. My biggest complaint is that the front guide track is too large, so I can't open my bottom blade cover all the way.

I don't find the same problem with the fence going all over the place when adjusting - I loosen the knob just enough and the top of the track seems to ride pretty tight to the guide.

All in all, it's an OK fence, but I woulnd't recommend paying $90 for it. If I was going to do it again, I'd probably buy an auxilliary table model, or just make my own.
      -Joe

Comment

• RodKirby
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
        • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Love the Kreg fence - beautifully made. Plenty of adjustment for drift.

I didn't bother with the micro-adjust.
        Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

I had the same pre-Kreg as Loring on the HF BS. It did not have drift adjustment but Highland Hardware has instructions on their site on how to make it so. I think the Kreg as that incorporated.

Ah, just noticed Rod's post that it does.

Comment

• MBG
            • Apr 2003
            • Chicago, Illinois.
            • Craftsman 21829

I started with the HF 14" BS. I built the famous table w/fence from a Wood magazine article. I sold the HF when I snagged a new Delta 28-276 for $200 at Amazon(gloat). The guy that bought my HF BS wanted the table/fence really bad so I sold it with the saw. It would have needed surgery to fit my Delta anyway.

I was ready to build the Wood design fence again but decided to get the Kreg instead for the following reasons:

1) The wood design was nice it really increased the surface area of the HF top but the Delta has a larger cast top than the HF to start with.
            2) The material cost of the wood design is around $60.
            3) Maybe I'm slow but it took me two weekends to complete the Wood designed table/fence.
            4) Like you I had a 20% off coupon for the Kreg.

I have only used it a couple of times but really like the Kreg design. It's easy to adjust for drift and easy to making the fence perpendicular to the table. I also bought the micro-positioner and resaw attachment but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

Good Luck,

Mike

Here's the one I made for reference:

Comment

• scoly
              Established Member
              • Jun 2003
              • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like the Kreg is allaround a very good fence with a few minor faults. Just like most of our toys. May just have to get one.
              Steve
              It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.

Comment

• Zenaca
                Established Member
                • Nov 2006
                • Idaho

Where are these fences you guys are getting and also where does a guy get one of these 20% cupons?

Bud

Comment

• scoly
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2003
                  • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

http://www.rockler.com/index.cfm
                  steve

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Zenaca
                    Where are these fences you guys are getting and also where does a guy get one of these 20% cupons?

Bud
                    don't know about the coupon,

try www.kregtools.com (Home page)

http://kregtool.com/products/pms/index.php
                    precision bandsaw fence

other dealers may sell it. Like amazon
                    http://www.amazon.com/Kreg-KMS7200-B...8129852&sr=8-1

Maybe Rockler has 20% off one item coupons, I think in their mail flyers...
                    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...kreg%20bandsaw

I don't think the bandsaw manufacturer's fences are a whole lot cheaper.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-02-2007, 01:25 PM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...