• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSCOOK
    • Sep 2006
    • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Drill Press Belt Sizes?

Just purchased a new 17" King Industrial floor standing drill press (Model KC-118FC) and looked at the belts as am considering changing everything to link belts ... but the numbers on them have me puzzled.

I thought I was fairly familar with V-Belts but looking at the number on the 2 used in the drill press has me a little stumped ... they are marked as "M26" and "M29" and look like what I'd call about a regular 3/8" V-belt ... I've search the internet and only find reference M26 or M29 to pulleys in the UK ...

I'd like to know the exact details / dimensions of the belt before I order the link belts ... also simply if I need replacements ... BTW, this isn't the part number from the manufacturer of the drill press as theirs is about 10 digits long ... from the cast housing, it looks very similar to the Generals, Delta, and a few others ... anybody know what they are?

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by JSCOOK
    ... look like what I'd call about a regular 3/8" V-belt ... ...?
    Looks like? take a ruler to it, man, the width at the top is the designation for the belt size.

As for the length, if you are going to replace it with Link belts, one beauty of link belts is that the size is adjustable, just make them match approximately what you have. You can add or remove links if the fit is not to your liking.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

I just measured by eye (tape) and added 12" - no problem

Very simple to add/remove links, and with the tension lever on the DP, it's a snap! The difference is remarkable...

BTW Turn the belt inside-out to add/remove links. Then back the right way (printed arrows on the outside), and make sure the belt travel is in the direction of the arrows.

Last edited by RodKirby; 12-06-2008, 04:23 PM.
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• JSCOOK
        • Sep 2006
        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        Looks like? take a ruler to it, man, the width at the top is the designation for the belt size.

As for the length, if you are going to replace it with Link belts, one beauty of link belts is that the size is adjustable, just make them match approximately what you have. You can add or remove links if the fit is not to your liking.

I had measured it as 3/8" wide and I know how to measure the length ... sorry I guess what I failed to make clear was the fact that regardless of changing it to a link belt, I was wanting to understand exactly what these "mystery" belt designations come from or were ... is it a European or Metric thing? ...

I was planning to simply just buy the PowerTwist Plus link belt at 3/8" x length and try it ... just curious to know what the numbers ment.
        "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn". by C.S. Lewis

Comment

• JSCOOK
          • Sep 2006
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by RodKirby
          I just measured by eye (tape) and added 12" - no problem

Very simple to add/remove links, and with the tension lever on the DP, it's a snap! The difference is remarkable...

BTW Turn the belt inside-out to add/remove links. Then back the right way (printed arrows on the outside), and make sure the belt travel is in the direction of the arrows.

[ATTACH]5435[/ATTACH]
          Hey Rod, looks like our drill presses are from the same taiwan factory and just trimmed differently ... (the control switch was damaged in shipping and being replaced)

As for this belt, here it is ...

It's not shown but there is a basic number of 27 printed on the other side which appears to be the length ...

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

drill press belt sizes

those numbers are probably a refrence to a metric sized belt from across the pond...a good industrial supplier should have a chart to cross them to standard American belt sizes. eezlock

Comment

Working...