X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caseyd
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2007

Unable to fit 1/2" Shank Bits into Hitachi M12V2

I recently purchased a router to use for speaker building projects. I have used routers before, but am somewhat of a beginner. For the life of me I can't get any of my 1/2" shank router bits to fit into this router.

I've followed the (sparse) instructions, and it seems to be as simple as placing the shank all the way into the collet and then moving it out 1/16" and then tightening. The problem is that I absolutely can't find a way to get the bit to fit into collet. Each bit seems just slightly too large to fit, so I can't even really tighten it, since its not in the hole in the first place.

There's probably some simple thing I'm doing wrong, but I really can't figure this out. Is it possible that there's some kind of defect in my router? Thanks for your help.
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

The specs say: 1/2" and 1/4" collets.

I don't suppose it came with the 1/4" collet installed?

Did it come with both collets - a reducer?
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

i'm not familiar with that router. But if the shanks don't fit then either the shanks are too big or the collet opening too small. (we're assuming here that you're not so dense as to be trying to install 1/2" shanks into a 1/4" collet and you've installed the right collet).

My first thing would be to check the shanks of the bits for size, usually they're machined quite accurately, but it would be a possible machining error.

Failing that, or not having calipers, or finding that they are correctly sized (0.500 +0.000/-.005 maybe) then I'd start checking the collet.
      Take the nut off and the collet is a metal sleeve with some slots going the partway down the length of the sleeve. The slots give it some springieness in the diameter. Normally the sleeve is compressed by the nut pressing the collet into a tapered hole.

You may need to expand the sleeve a bit. Perhaps someone tightened the nut with no bit installed, that might close up the collet.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-21-2007, 06:57 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Popeye
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Woodbine, Ga
        • Grizzly 1023SL

You know Loring, I realize you know everything and have probably never had a "duh moment" in your life. But I don't think your comment "We are assuming here that you're not so dense as to be trying to install 1/2" shanks into a 1/4" collet and you've installed the right collet" was called for.
        I'd personally like to have a nickle for every forehead slap I've given myself for overlooking the obvious when I've run into a confounding problem. Just my two cents. Pat
        Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Popeye
          You know Loring, I realize you know everything and have probably never had a "duh moment" in your life. But I don't think your comment "We are assuming here that you're not so dense as to be trying to install 1/2" shanks into a 1/4" collet and you've installed the right collet" was called for.
          I'd personally like to have a nickle for every forehead slap I've given myself for overlooking the obvious when I've run into a confounding problem. Just my two cents. Pat
          Sorry if i offended the poster. I assumed that he can't possibly be trying to insert a 1/2" shank into a 1/4" collet hole, that would be just too obvious. From the description it sounded like it looked like it should fit but wouldn't, therefore I presumed that the shank was a bit too tight.

personally I'd like to think my help/offend ratio is about 1000/1 on this forum.
          If I tried to stick a 1/2" shank into a 1/4" hole, I would not be offended if someone called dense, I'd think it was deserved.

noientheless, if any offense was taken, I apologize.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I think measureing with calipers is needed. I am just wondering if someone at the factory may have put a Metric collet in. Metric collets would be 12 or 12.5 where as the inch equivalent would be 12.7.

Another thing to try is take the locking nut off and take the collet out. Check and see if the collet wings are bent a tad inward. Will it fit when you take the collet out? Could the hole in the collet nut be too small / not machined enough?

Check it out and let us know. It would be interesting to hear the results.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• caseyd
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2007

Thanks for the help so far guys. So to answer a few of your questions. Yes, it did come witha collet adapter for 1/4" shank bits, but it is not installed, and it actually won't fit - which leads me to believe something is wrong .

Anyway, I'm not completely familiar with the terminology - like I said I'm more of a beginnier. But essentially there is a locking nut that screws over the port on the router that these bits should fit in. This "port" i'm talking about is essentially a metal "tube" with another tube inside it. This second tube is that part that won't allow the bits to fit it. It looks like its just about the right size, but a little too small. If there were a way to loosen this to fit the bits it seems like they would then fit. I'm assuming this is the part that tightens around the bit when you tighten the outside nut. Even with the nut that goes around (collet?) completely off, the bits still won't fit.

Sorry for the really poor terminology I'm using, but my brain really isn't working on all eight cylinders today.

P.S. No offence taken. I'm not sooo dense, just moderately .

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by caseyd
                Thanks for the help so far guys. So to answer a few of your questions. Yes, it did come witha collet adapter for 1/4" shank bits, but it is not installed, and it actually won't fit - which leads me to believe something is wrong .

Anyway, I'm not completely familiar with the terminology - like I said I'm more of a beginnier. But essentially there is a locking nut that screws over the port on the router that these bits should fit in. This "port" i'm talking about is essentially a metal "tube" with another tube inside it. This second tube is that part that won't allow the bits to fit it. It looks like its just about the right size, but a little too small. If there were a way to loosen this to fit the bits it seems like they would then fit. I'm assuming this is the part that tightens around the bit when you tighten the outside nut. Even with the nut that goes around (collet?) completely off, the bits still won't fit.

Sorry for the really poor terminology I'm using, but my brain really isn't working on all eight cylinders today.

P.S. No offence taken. I'm not sooo dense, just moderately .
                Yeah, that tube is the sleeve or collet I was talking about. You need to ry and expand and stretch it a little.
                Maybe take a 1/2" wood dowel, sand one end a little to chamfer or taper the end and force it into the sleeve. You have to force it a little bigger than .500 to stretch it.

I just reread you last post. Again I aplogize i 'm not familiar with that router.
                You mention two tubes. One or both of the sleeves have to have a split to allow the sleeve to close up and grip the bit shank.

Another possibility is that the thin inner sleeve you mention is an adapter that adapts 12mm (European or japanese) bits to the 1/2" collets? (never actually seen or heard of one) The difference is small. Does the fixed tube that the nut goes over have a sliding fit to the bits?
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-21-2007, 09:14 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  Another possibility is that the thin inner sleeve you mention is an adapter that adapts 12mm (European or japanese) bits to the 1/2" collets? (never actually seen or heard of one) The difference is small. Does the fixed tube that the nut goes over have a sliding fit to the bits?
                  Loring,

I mentioned it because I have ordered sleeves (but only 6 mm) to fit an American 1/2 in router. I did that about 10 years ago and checked with a couple of companies. I found out that (at that time) some factories made their basic routers for export to numerous countries and made the metric collets available. These were not offered on a web site or in a catalog, but only from the company.

Basically inside the hole where the collet drops into, it is all the same. By doing this, a collet change, and in the electrical system, a switch or wiring change will allow most routers to swing to other systems.

CASEYD - the collet is the "system" that includes the locking nut, other nuts, washers, inner bit holder, etc. Some people might get technical and include the holder only. We are referring to the hollow holder in the above posts for the most part.

The Collet or bit holder come in two basic forms:
                  1. a solid sleeve that slips around the bit and hold the bit. It has one slit from top to bottom and usually a flute of sorts at 180&#176; of the slit to allow for flexing as the nut is tightened.
                  2. The other collet (and to me the more common in my routers) collet has several slits from the top to about 1/2 to 2/3s the way down.

If there are other terms that we are throwing out that are confusing or you are not familiar with, let us know and we will gladly help.

Because I am in Japan and spend half my time speaking in Japanese, I have forgotten many many English words because of none use. I know the feeling of asking and feeling dumb about something or not using the right terminology.

For instance in the above reply to you, in the #1. - I cannot remember the correct term the "flute", and that might be the correct term . I know there is one. I often cannot remember "jointing" terminology or the word "rabbet" and hate to ask a question strictly because I don't know what to call it, and I sure ought to!
                  Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mpc
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Cypress, CA, USA.
                    • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Does Hitachi offer a metric collet? Freud included metric ones in my router kit a while back, when I emailed them they admitted they did that in a batch of 'em and sent me the correct collects overnight. And a new collet nut too so I have a spare.

mpc

Comment

• RayintheUK
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2003
                      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                      • Ryobi BT3000

Does the collet look anything like these? Top picture shows the "business end" and the bottom picture shows the rear view of the collets removed from the router shaft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mof00112.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	781001

Click image for larger version

Name:	mof00113.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	781002

If you can't insert the 1/2" shank of the cutter into the opening (top picture), then the collet is the wrong size, it can't be anything else.

Ray.
                      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• caseyd
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Apr 2007

Ray, that's exactly the problem that I'm having. Here's the odd thing. The picture on the top left is the 1/4" adapter that I was talking about, however, the collet on the right is actually just the nut, and the part that has 4 sections that should aide in tightening the bit is actually inside the router. It seems as though I may have somehow done something that made that section of the collet slide into the router, so now the nut is separate from this piece and almost impossible to remote from the router.

Unfortunately, when I first received the router I wanted to check to see that it was in proper working order, so I tested the motor without any bit in the collet. It might be the case that this caused this "tightening" section to lodge itself inside the router. When I decided to unscrew the nut this section actually stayed inside the router.

To answer some of the quesitons that were raised earlier, it seems like after measuring with a simple ruler (no calipers), the section that is stuck in my router is actually slightly smaller that 1/2." I bought my bits from MLCS woodworkingn, and they seem to be exactly 1/2" so I'm assuming I may have two problems.

1. The so called "tightening section" that should be connected to the collet is in fact inside my router.
                        2. This "tighting section" is too small to fit 1/2" router bits (this seems crazy, since I bought a standard router that is said to fit 1/2" and 1/4" bits). However, the registration for my router says that it is only for Canadian Cusomters so it may be posslbe that it shipped with the wrong sized collet. I did buy this particular router on amazon.com.

I just wanted to give you some more information. So far the insight you guys have given me has been excellent. I'm thinking at this point I might need to make a call to Hitachi service and see if I can get this sorted out. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't ignoring something obvious. I'd appreciate any more insight you might have.

Thanks.

Comment

• reddog552
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2006
                          • Belleville Il.
                          • Bt3000

collet size

I pulled out the manual there are three sizes of [collet chuck]as per HITACHI terminolgy 1/2" 10 mm.&12mm.Also there are 7 sizes of [chuck sleves]. I think you have the wrong collet chuck.Your choice of the M12V will be well rewarded I use Grizzly pannel raising bits in mine with excelent results, 31/4 Hp. variable speed is where its at.Grizzly also has a1/2" Shaper cutter arbor Model#G4820 & 20 or so different cutters which are another option you have.
                          The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• rcp612
                            Established Member
                            • May 2005
                            • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
                            • Bosch 4100-09

[the collet on the right is actually just the nut, and the part that has 4 sections that should aide in tightening the bit is actually inside the router.]
                            It seems to me that the actual "collet" is stuck in the router and having been tightened without a bit in place would make the i.d. smaller than 1/2". If the nut is separated from the collet (happens frequently to me) the collet can be removed only with force. I use a brass punch and tap it loose using the "lip" that should be holding the collet in the nut. Very careful tapping, all around the edge will remove it. That would let the collet return to its original relaxed size and fit the bit.
                            Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• sbs
                              Established Member
                              • Mar 2005
                              • VA
                              • BT3.1k

(Mostly repeating what others have said...)

Tightening the collet nut with no bit in place will squeeze the collet down so that the bits will no longer fit.

The fact that the collet is jammed in the machine is another indicator that this is probably what was done.

You need to remove the collet from the machine. It will probably open back up once released. If it doesn't you'll need to force it over a bit shaft to open it back up. Depending on the collet, this may be easy to do by putting it on the shaft back-end first.

Comment

Working...