• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p8ntblr
    • Jan 2007
    • So Cal
    • Craftsman 22114

Grizzly Shaper or Router table ??

I've been thinking about having router table or adding it to the TS. Then I saw an ad for a used Grizzly Shaper G1035. Is there an advantage in using one (meaning the shaper or router table) over the other. He's asking $300 for shaper.
    -Paul
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by p8ntblr
    I've been thinking about having router table or adding it to the TS. Then I saw an ad for a used Grizzly Shaper G1035. Is there an advantage in using one (meaning the shaper or router table) over the other. He's asking $300 for shaper.

some random thoughts ...

A shaper is not capable of non-edge cuts (plowing dado's in the center of a panel)

Router bits cost a lot less than shaper cutters BUT don't last nearly as long. For very large production runs, a shaper is desirable.

A shaper will take a lot bigger cut than most routers are capable of.

All in all, each have their respective places when doing work that demands the functions they offer, but IMO for the average homeowner shop the router table wins hands down in terms of cost effectiveness and overall flexibility.
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm not an expert but this has been discussed at length before, the difference between router and shaper. I think the concensus was that for the average home DIYer a router is more flexible.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...=router+shaper
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MBG
        • Apr 2003
        • Chicago, Illinois.
        • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by p8ntblr
        I had a similar deal close to my home on a ShopFox. I did some investigation and agree the router is a better choice for the hobbyst if you must choose one or the other. If you plan to make your own mouldings or lots of raised panel doors you might consider a shaper.

Also, go search the price of shaper cutters and I think you'll know which one is more economical.

BTW - I have a Milwaukee 5625 in a Woodpecker Quick Lift and it's a dream to use.

Mike

Comment

• Hoover
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • USA.

The only place I have ever seen a shaper used is in cabinet shops, where they run a lot of the same material for a production run. Also the above replies spell out some great information. HTH
          No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

Working...