What is a good technique for setting up miter saw?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CptanPanic
    Forum Newbie
    • May 2004
    • Lake Worth, FL
    • BT3100

What is a good technique for setting up miter saw?

Hello,
    I have always had problems getting perfect 45 degree miters on my ridgid miter saw. Does anyone have a good procedure for setting up a miter saw?
    Thanks,
    CP
  • p8ntblr
    • Jan 2007
    • So Cal
    • Craftsman 22114

Have you thought about getting a wixey digital angle gauge. I don't have one myself but due to the overwhelming positive reviews it got (many from experienced members) I will be getting one in the near future.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ighlight=wixey
    -Paul

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by p8ntblr
      Have you thought about getting a wixey digital angle gauge. I don't have one myself but due to the overwhelming positive reviews it got (many from experienced members) I will be getting one in the near future.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ighlight=wixey
      The Wixey gauge will NOT work well for miter saws.
      Basically the Wixey gauge is pendulum based so it can only measure angles in the vertical plane.

With a miter saw, the prinicpal angle is in the horizontal plane.

I suppose, you could tilt the saw on end to set the angles but it just wouldn't work with any sort of convenience at all.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• CptanPanic
        Forum Newbie
        • May 2004
        • Lake Worth, FL
        • BT3100

Well the hard angle is in the other direction. I am just trying to make a cut that is 90 degrees vertically, but 45 degrees horizontally. The Wixey only works for vertical angles.

Comment

• bmyers
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2003
          • Fishkill, NY
          • bt 3100

Usually if 90 degrees is set correctly the other angles fall into place with the detent stops. Sometimes you can "fine tune" an angle by pushing it a left or right within the detent.

Check your 90. If its not 90 then adjust your fence by loosening it up and tweaking it, tighten it back down, recheck. If the saw is worth more then the blade it should come in to adjustment this way. Your 45 should be better after that.

HTH,
          Bill
          "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• sparkeyjames
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Redford MI.
            • Craftsman 21829

A very good accurate machinists (starrett is top of line but pricey) 45 degree square is all you need. Make sure blade is installed correctly. Bring blade down and check angle off flat of blade. Avoid letting the chippers hit the square. Adjust. Took me 15 minutes with my Dewalt 705 both bevel and angle to fence.

Oh and Woo Hoo 100th post.
            Last edited by sparkeyjames; 04-07-2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• Tom Miller
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • Twin Cities, MN
              • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Sometimes, and especially with miters, the stock can slide ever so slightly along the fence during the cut. You might want to rule this out by using a stop block, a clamp, or at least stick some adhesive to the fence, before you proceed.

Regards,
              Tom

Comment

• Gary L
                Forum Newbie
                • Mar 2007
                • Forestburgh, NY
                • BT 3000 and Porter Cable

Hi CaptPanic. I'm not sure I understand completely what problem you are having but on my miter saws I have found some difference between the 45s cut on the right and then on the left.
                What I have done is to get the saw cutting a perfect 45 on one side. I measure it with a Starett square until it is exact. Then I flip the board I just cut and swing the head to the oposite side and check to see if it is identicle.
                Many saws have some adjustments for the stops so I mess with them until both sides are cutting mirror 45s and when put together I then check them for exact 90.

The most critical part of this begins with cutting a dead square 90 and this is usually adjusted by squaring the back fence to the blade. If you are off even a hair here then all your cuts will also be off.

If your stops have any play in them when locked in you will have to repair this in order to get dependable angles on the saw and worn stop notches or the dog that goes into them can cause all sorts of misalligned angles.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Comment

• p8ntblr
                  • Jan 2007
                  • So Cal
                  • Craftsman 22114

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  The Wixey gauge will NOT work well for miter saws.
                  Basically the Wixey gauge is pendulum based so it can only measure angles in the vertical plane.

With a miter saw, the prinicpal angle is in the horizontal plane.

I suppose, you could tilt the saw on end to set the angles but it just wouldn't work with any sort of convenience at all.
                  Sorry I was thinking bevel cuts. It should work for that right?
                  -Paul

Comment

• CptanPanic
                    Forum Newbie
                    • May 2004
                    • Lake Worth, FL
                    • BT3100

Yes I was thinking as long as the wood is not that wide, just cut with the bevel. Then you could use the wixey.

Comment

• lrr
                      Established Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Fort Collins, Colorado
                      • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by CptanPanic
                      Hello,
                      I have always had problems getting perfect 45 degree miters on my ridgid miter saw. Does anyone have a good procedure for setting up a miter saw?
                      Thanks,
                      CP
                      Assuming this is a relatively new saw, you can adjust it pretty easily. I have a Ridgid 10" MS, and I needed to adjust it very slightly after bringing it home. Not sure if it might have been dropped, and bumped out of alignment, but it is dead-on accurate now. Would have been nice to have a nice Starett square, but it can be done with lesser tools. I used an inexpensive carpenter's square, which worked fine.
                      Lee

Comment

Working...