• WSLco
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2007

6" Jointer-Ridgid Or Delta?

Delta 360 at Lowes for $313.45

Ridgid at HD for $324

Good reviews on the Ridgid
    Delta has a mobile base, which I need.
    I have not seen a Ridgid on a mobile base.

Please give me your opinions

Thank you
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I don't recall that the Delta JP360 comes with mobile base - mine didn't, and I got it last year.
    For $10 more, the ridgid has a bit better overall appearance and stand, I'd get it.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JTimmons
      • Feb 2005
      • Denver, CO.
      • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

I have the Ridgid and really like it. Don't know much about the Delta.
      "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
      -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• lrr
        Established Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Fort Collins, Colorado
        • Ryobi BT-3100

Had the Ridgid for about 3 years -- great machine. Fit and finish is really very nice. I've yet to sharpen the blades, I would have expected less life from HSS, but this may be typical of jointers.
        Lee

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The Delta JT360 isn't their best 6", and offers a few disadvantages relative to most others in the $350-$400 class. It has a 3/4hp motor vs 1hp on the others, an open stand, and a flimsier fence support system. Delta's 37-275x (fomerly the 37-195) is a more robust design.

I'd go with the Ridgid for nearly even money given those two choices.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• WoodTherapist
            Forum Newbie
            • Feb 2006

WSLco, how are you able to buy the HD jointer for $324? It lists for $399 and the power tool sale would deduct only $35, but maybe I don’t understand it correctly or maybe you have a coupon?

Comment

• Tundra_Man
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Sioux Falls, SD, USA.
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by WoodTherapist
              WSLco, how are you able to buy the HD jointer for $324? It lists for $399 and the power tool sale would deduct only $35, but maybe I don’t understand it correctly or maybe you have a coupon?
              I'd like to know as well. For $324 I'll swing by and grab it tonight!
              Terry

Life's too short to play an ordinary guitar: Tundra Man Custom Guitars

Comment

• WSLco
                Forum Newbie
                • Apr 2007

The Depot's rebate is $75 if you spend $400.

Air fittings and fasteners are included in the rebate.

Some of the fittings are right around a dollar so if

I want to spend no more than $400 I can pick up one

minor item.

Thinking of getting the Ridgid Planer at $349 at a few

boxes of brad nails on a seperate tag for another $75

rebate.

Thank you for all your advice

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by WSLco
                  I have not seen a Ridgid on a mobile base.
                  At least one of our members, Lonnie In Orlando, put his Ridgid jointer on a homemade mobile base. He used two layers of plywood mated to one of the kit-type mobile bases that includes the wheels and corners. You can see pictures of it here.

I'm another Ridgid owner and am very satisfied with it considering what it cost. That's to say, it's not a 12" Oliver, but then it only cost me about the same as you're looking to spend.

BTW, welcome to the forum and we hope you'll stick around! And thanks for the tip about air fittings and fasteners being included in the current HD promotion ... I've been adding up the numbers myself, trying to take advantage of this somehow, and could use a few small items to make the totals come out right.
                  Larry

Comment

• TheRic
                    • Jun 2004
                    • West Central Ohio
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by WSLco
                    The Depot's rebate is $75 if you spend $400.

Air fittings and fasteners are included in the rebate.

Some of the fittings are right around a dollar so if

I want to spend no more than $400 I can pick up one

minor item.

Thinking of getting the Ridgid Planer at $349 at a few

boxes of brad nails on a seperate tag for another $75

rebate.

Thank you for all your advice

Originally posted by LarryG
                    At least one of our members, Lonnie In Orlando, put his Ridgid jointer on a homemade mobile base. He used two layers of plywood mated to one of the kit-type mobile bases that includes the wheels and corners. You can see pictures of it here.

I'm another Ridgid owner and am very satisfied with it considering what it cost. That's to say, it's not a 12" Oliver, but then it only cost me about the same as you're looking to spend.

BTW, welcome to the forum and we hope you'll stick around! And thanks for the tip about air fittings and fasteners being included in the current HD promotion ... I've been adding up the numbers myself, trying to take advantage of this somehow, and could use a few small items to make the totals come out right.
                    Thanks for the mobile base link I'm also looking into making mine mobile.

My local HD told me that EVERYTHING in the tool department was included in the rebate. I'm looking to get several large $$$ items, and talking about throwing some smaller items in to bump up a level. And either repeat this several times, or go for everything in one big pile and hit $2000. I know what I want to do, but I think the LOML has other thoughts on this.
                    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• WoodTherapist
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006

Thanks WSLco and TheRic! Didn't realize the smaller tools and fittings were included in the sale. I'm with Tundra Man - I think I'll swing by the Borg and pick one up at that price. Only I won't be able to go until this weekend. If anyone picks one up, I would be grateful if you could post the dimsnsions of the box so I will know what kind of vehicle to take for trudging it home.

Comment

• WoodTherapist
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by LarryG
                        WoodTherapist: It's been a long time since I carted my jointer home but I'm going to say the box is on the order of 50" long by 24" wide by 18" deep. Give or take a couple-few inches in any direction. I'll put it this way ... I bought the jointer and the Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander on the same ticket, and the two of them were a full load for a Honda CR-V with the back seat folded down.
                        Perfect! Thanks! My choice is either a Jimmy or a pick-up. Sounds like the Jimmy will work if I don't get carried away with other purchases. Actually, that my be a good thing in order to keep my purchases limited. On the other hand, there is the roof rack....

Comment

• WoodTherapist
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2006

By the way WSLco, to my mind the one to compare to the Ridgid is the Grizzly GO452. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0452
                          I have not used either one, but the reviews for the Grizzly are favorable, plus it comes with a mobile base. The down side is that it is about $100 more and it is delivered by freight. If either of those factors are not a problem for you, it’s worth a look.

Comment

• WSLco
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Apr 2007

Woodtherapist

Thanks for the heads up on the Grizzzly. Just what i have been looking for.

Built in mobile base is much cleaner.

At $383 and change delivered it is a better deal than the Ridgid.

Any thoughts on the Jet? Woodcraft has a one day 10% off coming up and the jointer is on sale for $399-still need to add a mobile base. Any better than
                            the Grizzly? Or same animal different color?

Not to gloat but just came home with the Ridgid planer-looked long and hard at the Grizzly. Also after 2 weeks of pestering talked Lowes into price matching the Delta 50-760.

WSLco

Comment

Working...