• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p8ntblr
    • Jan 2007
    • So Cal
    • Craftsman 22114

Jointer/Osc Sander - good deal?

Good deal for $100 each? I realize I'll have to clean the rust off the top. The tension on the spring on the guard seems to be weak cuz the guard won't stay tight to the fence. Anyone have any experience with this model it's the JP06000.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by p8ntblr; 03-29-2007, 11:13 PM.
    -Paul
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

I'd say it's a pretty good deal on the jointer, The OSS is 200$ new, so it's not a bad deal, I got mine during a sale and paid 160$ for it.

Btw, LOVE the Belt/OSS.
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Good deal on the jointer, fair price on the sander. I would want to see the sandere running with a belt on it to make sure it tracks ok.

On most jointers, you can adjust the tension on the guard spring.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Agree with Keith and Pappy. I might not buy the sander alone for $100, but the same bucks for that jointer is a really long deal, assuming it's in good order (I own the newer version with the splayed orange base). And if you need both, $200 for the pair is still a great price.

The guard tension is an easy fix ... you just wind the spring a little tighter as you put the guard on.
        Larry

Comment

• footprintsinconc
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
          • BT3100

better get it before someone else does

Comment

• p8ntblr
            • Jan 2007
            • So Cal
            • Craftsman 22114

I ended up getting both of them. The owner had moved to NY and it was the BIL showing me the tools. He didn't know much about them. But I tried both out and they seemed to work fine. I realize the sander was not such a great deal but I wanted one and was already there so I took it as well. I was packing everything up and thought I locked everything down securely. The jointer was a beast getting in. Got to the freeway fine but then I hit traffic and hit the breaks. All of sudden I see the jointer slowly tip over. I've never spit out so many expletives in such a short time in my life. Pulled over to see the jointer tip right over the sander. Nearly lost my lunch. Put it right side up and found not a scratch on the jointer but the good 1 inch gouge on the sander. Strapped it down again, this time using 4 strap downs instead of 2. Got it home and test jointed a few scraps and it worked pretty good except for the sniping. Although I think that's more of my technique (putting pressure on the edge and what not). When I fired up the sander it started jumping around like a jumping bean. I found the manual online so I'll see if any pieces are missing or broken. I heard HD no longer supports the parts for this product. But that Sears might carry them This true? If not sears then do I have to go straight to Ridgid website?
            Last edited by p8ntblr; 03-30-2007, 11:38 AM.
            -Paul

Comment

• p8ntblr
              • Jan 2007
              • So Cal
              • Craftsman 22114

Originally posted by Pappy
              Good deal on the jointer, fair price on the sander. I would want to see the sandere running with a belt on it to make sure it tracks ok.

On most jointers, you can adjust the tension on the guard spring.
              Yah I realize that now, I wound up the spring and now the tension guard feels right. Now I gotta work on the sander I broke.
              -Paul

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by p8ntblr
                I ended up getting both of them. The owner had moved to NY and it was the BIL showing me the tools. He didn't know much about them. But I tried both out and they seemed to work fine. I realize the sander was not such a great deal but I wanted one and was already there so I took it as well. I was packing everything up and thought I locked everything down securely. The jointer was a beast getting in. Got to the freeway fine but then I hit traffic and hit the breaks. All of sudden I see the jointer slowly tip over. I've never spit out so many expletives in such a short time in my life. Pulled over to see the jointer tip right over the sander. Nearly lost my lunch. Put it right side up and found not a scratch on the jointer but the good 1 inch gouge on the sander. Strapped it down again, this time using 4 strap downs instead of 2. Got it home and test jointed a few scraps and it worked pretty good except for the sniping. Although I think that's more of my technique (putting pressure on the edge and what not). When I fired up the sander it started jumping around like a jumping bean. I found the manual online so I'll see if any pieces are missing or broken. I heard HD no longer supports the parts for this product. But that Sears might carry them This true? If not sears then do I have to go straight to Ridgid website?
                If a jointer snipes most likely cause is poor alignment.
                Like blades higher than the outfeed table.
                B4 you use it I'd recommend a thorough tuning of that thing.
                Lots of comments here in past posts.You'll need either a blade holding jig or a dial-indicator jig for aligning, or both.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...