• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

6" vs 8" jointer

Given that I do not have room for either, I am considering upgrading my jointer. I currently have a 6" benchtop from Pelgrem. While I find it to be quite good, the 3-4' length limit has been an issue for me.

So I am considering the differences between a 6" and 8" jointer, and thought it might make for an interesting discussion. So please, anyone with a though or opinion, please chime in!

thanks!
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

If the 8" is an option, it's the answer.

Doesn't get simpler than that.

Regards,
    Tom (proud owner of a 6" jointer that just barely fits in the shop)

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Aside from space issues and electrical requirements, the 8" has the upper hand. It'll do everything a 6" jointer can with ease and a higher degree of safety because of the increased mass and size, plus it adds capacity for bigger boards. Seems to me that an awful lot of rough stock is about 6-1/2" wide!
      Last edited by Knottscott; 03-24-2007, 08:40 AM.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• coach
        Established Member
        • Jan 2005
        • Forney, TX.
        • Powermatic 66

If you have the chance to go 8", that would be the way to go.

I have a 6" with 48" beds. There haven't been many times that I needed the extra capacity; but when I have, it's been a need for longer beds most of the time.
        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

One of the biggest advantages to the 8" is the length of the bed allowing you to edge joint a longer board. Naturally, when you get something that you told yourself that, 'you didn't really need', you'll find a need. In other words, the 8" width will certainly come in handy too.
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

the two advantages of a floor-standing 8" over the typical floor-standing 6"
            are 1) can handle wider boards
            and 2) the bed is longer so it can make longer boards flat.
            That's about it straight and simple.
            Your need to process wide and long boards should be the major factor (besides cost and space)
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Slik Geek
              • Dec 2006
              • Lake County, Illinois
              • Ryobi BT-3000

I upgraded from a 6" to an 8" - not certain if it was really justified.

No regrets here - I made use of the additional bed length and width within a short time. Go for the 8" if at all possible!

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Good morning...

All you need to know has already been said. I got by with a 6" for many years as I do mostly rough or S1-S2. I could double pass without ripping as most stock will fall between 5-8 inches and often taper in lenght as the tree grew.

To save the extra rip and re-glue or more dangerous double cut, I up-graded. I had a great deal on a 12" with 84" beds, but I would have had to pick it up out of state at around 700 pounds. So... I went with the 8" with 75" beds to replace the Sunhill as a long 55" for a 6" jointer. Great move altogether.. but there have already been two occassions I could have used the 12" but had to suffice with a double pass.

Bottom line.. if you can afford it, get the largest you can get if the you know who agrees. If you don't have the space.. make it as where there's will, there's a way! :>)

Regards...

Comment

• Brian G
                  • Jun 2003
                  • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                  • G0899

If I lived in Pittsburgh, and had $595-ish to spend on an 8" jointer, I'd be on my way to Muncy.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0586

I have a 6" bench top jointer. I'm often frustrated by having to plan around the limitations of the short bed and width. This is especially true when I stumble upon a nicely figured, 7.5" wide board that would make great bookmatched veneer.

Losing that 1.5" means I lose a little more than 3" off the final width of the veneer. True, there's the option of the double pass like Sarge mentioned, but I'm minimally fond of doing that.
                  Brian

Comment

Working...