• Show
Clear All
  • wdreamsmaycome
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • bt3100 (of course!)

adjusting the craftsman 21400 band saw

I got my band saw on sale from sears and as I've read here before I concur that the manual is abysmal (esp. given that this is my first band saw).

I have been able to get things mostly square (although if I set the blade guard rollers at 1/32" with it completely at the bottom, if I raise it to the top one of the two rollers ends up slightly touching the blade, not sure how to compensate for that really) but I am wondering about exactly how I can figure out if the amount of tension in the blade is right or not.

On a semi-related thing it does seem that the blade tracking changes depending on tension, is that normal?
  • calec
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2007
    • Elkhart, IN
    • Craftsman 10" belt drive Model 113.298762

Adjusting the Craftsman 21400 band saw

The most frustrating part about adjusting the guides, for me anyway, is getting the table assembly out of the way to access the bottom guides.

I've replaced the 4 carriage bolts with machine bolts and made them 'captive'. 4 1 mm thick fender washers were tapped and are threaded on the trunion side of the bolts to keep them in place when the trunion/tabel assembly is removed.
    Later a 1/4" thick aluminum plate will be added to the wheel side. The bolts will be screwed into it - then through the factory trunion mounting holes.

Adding that plate to stiffen the trunion mount (suggested elsewhere).
    Last edited by calec; 04-01-2007, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• drumpriest
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2004
      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
      • Powermatic PM 2000

When I track my blade on mine, I track it first at 1/2 tension, then adjust tension up and double check, and finally one more pass at full tension. Then the tracking is fine even when I detension and retension it.

The upper guide on mine doesn't run perfectly perpendicular to the table either, so I have to reset the guides whenever I reset the cutting depth.
      Keith Z. Leonard
      Go Steelers!

Comment

• hermit
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Somerset, PA, USA.

I haven't had a problem with the side bearings, but the rear thrust bearing gets closer to the blade as the guide is raised. So, I set the bearing with the guide at its highest position, then there is enough play in the guide to adjust it to the proper position before I tighten the locking knob at whatever height I want to set it at. Confusing?

Todd

Comment

• calec
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2007
          • Elkhart, IN

Upper guide assembly on Craftsman 21400

Originally posted by drumpriest
          When I track my blade on mine, I track it first at 1/2 tension, then adjust tension up and double check, and finally one more pass at full tension. Then the tracking is fine even when I detension and retension it.

The upper guide on mine doesn't run perfectly perpendicular to the table either, so I have to reset the guides whenever I reset the cutting depth.
          Yup, the upper guide assembly seems slightly (my perception?) twisted?

Comment

• calec
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2007
            • Elkhart, IN

Simple tension knob 'fix'

Until some kind of crank arangement is figured out. my tension knob has a thin white plastic marking stripe. I'll try to buy an extra tension knob to attach the crank to.
            Anyone have another suggestion for that?
            (Don't know what the consensus is, but I back off the tension 2 turns.)
            Last edited by calec; 04-03-2007, 07:00 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

• calec
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2007
              • Elkhart, IN

What do you tension it to? a musical note?

Please explain how you set the tension...to a certain 'twang' (I'm serious)?

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

Simple, you adjust the tension up slowly, and tap the blade with your fingernail. It will chime in at a particular note. Just like tuning a guitar string or a drum head, it is an accurate measure of the amount of tension being placed on the blade.

The trouble is that it's relative. The note that aligns with proper tension will depend upon the band saw (distance between sound dampening wheels), the blade metal, and the blade thickness. So you can tension a blade correctly once, and if you use the same type of blade all of the time, you can get it back to proper tension by pitch matching.
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• moc
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Apr 2006
                  • st. louis
                  • bt3100 (Now out of box!)

So you can tension a blade correctly once, and if you use the same type of blade all of the time, you can get it back to proper tension by pitch matching.
                  Are proper and improper tensions dramatically far apart in pitch? The reason I ask, is that if you don't have another bandsaw sitting next to the one you're tensioning it would seem you'd need some degree of perfect pitch to "remember" the right pitch. I wonder if non-musicians can accomplish this as well as musicians.

I'm not doubting you, I actually find it curious. My BS is still in a box, so I haven't tuned it yet

*moc

Comment

• hermit
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Somerset, PA, USA.

Originally posted by calec
                    Until some kind of crank arangement is figured out. my tension knob has a thin white plastic marking stripe. I'll try to buy an extra tension knob to attach the crank to.
                    Anyone have another suggestion for that?
                    (Don't know what the consensus is, but I back off the tension 2 turns.)
                    I made a quick crank that I bolted right to the knob. Real simple. I drilled the knob in the cross member, bolted a small piece of poplar across it, then added a handle at the end of the poplar. I can post pics, but not tonight. I back mine off 3 1/4 turns. The Key is the 1/4 turn. That way I don't forget if I did it or not. The marking (or the crank knob in my case) is in a totally different position when its not tensioned as when it is.

Todd

Comment

• calec
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Mar 2007
                      • Elkhart, IN

Tension crank?

I like 'Hermit's crank idea. Checked Sears.com parts section which has a disclaimer that parts are no longer available for this model! (#119.21400)
                      Anyone else tried getting spare parts? Haven't gotten through on their phone number yet but will try & post what they tell me.

Comment

• calec
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Mar 2007
                        • Elkhart, IN

No Parts Available for 21400 band saw!

Just finished talking to Sears Parts rep. "No parts available" for the model 119.21400 band saw is what I was told. I'm not surprised, but ticked off

Comment

• calec
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2007
                          • Elkhart, IN

Tension crank for Craftsman 21400 band saw

Originally posted by hermit
                          I made a quick crank that I bolted right to the knob. Real simple. I drilled the knob in the cross member, bolted a small piece of poplar across it, then added a handle at the end of the poplar. I can post pics, but not tonight. I back mine off 3 1/4 turns. The Key is the 1/4 turn. That way I don't forget if I did it or not. The marking (or the crank knob in my case) is in a totally different position when its not tensioned as when it is.

Todd
                          Picked up "speed handles" at nearby MSC warehouse for $5.00.
                          (2 small knobs on stems angled out of 1.5" dia. solid round base.) Photos later when I learn how to put them up here)
                          Next, got to design a nice way to connect
                          the speed handles to the slotted top of the steel tension adjustment 'slug'.
                          (i.e. where the factory knob fits.) All advice warmly welcomed!

Comment

• hermit
                            Established Member
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Somerset, PA, USA.

I'm sorry I got screwed up on the model numbers. Mine is the 14" BS. But... in case this helps anyone heres the pics for my setup:

Todd
                            Attached Files

Comment

• calec
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Mar 2007
                              • Elkhart, IN

BTW all, Rikon 10-300 parts are available!

E-mailed Rikon about ordering parts for their 10-300 band saw.Got quick, courteous reply. May order spare belts & tires for the wheels. I'm willing to bet their small parts will fit the Craftsman 21400. (If I'm wrong - my bad but it's the only source).
                              I.E. Blade Tension Knob Body = 1-JL22024002-001S $6.99, Blade Tension Knob Cap=1-JL22024001-001S $2.99.
                              RIKON Power Tools
                              110 Cummings Park
                              Woburn, MA. 01801
                              877-884-5167 [techsupport@rikontools.com]
                              Last edited by calec; 04-07-2007, 06:48 AM. Reason: Forgot a part number

Comment

Working...