• Show
Clear All
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Update On MLCS All-In-One router plate

After installation I attempted some dovetails using an Incra Jig. Had some problems which I indentified as the two (one yellow, one red) insert rings. Neither of these rings were flat. In fact there was a depression in both from the outside to the inside, such that the wood would dip into the bit by as much as 1/16" of an inch. I called MLCS and they immediately offered and shipped two new rings at their cost. Waiting to see if new rings are any better that the originals. Should anyone purchase this insert plate, check these insert rings before installing. I have now routed out my table top and mounted the router and cannot use it.

As my original post said, it was relatively easy to install the plate but performance is not there, at least not yet.
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• ryan.s
      • Feb 2006
      • So Cal
      • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by siliconbauhaus
      Ryan...very cool mate
      Thanks silicon!

Comment

• BT3 WOODOG
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2007

JR,have You tried out Your table yet? I orderd the plate from H.F. last night,so I'm interested in Your thoughts!

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

OH, woodog, mine is a tale of woe...

I've been too busy to get any shop time. With any luck at all I'll build the fence this weekend and be able to give a complete report.

JR
          JR

Comment

• ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

MLCS Router Plate Replacement Inserts

Received the replacement inserts (round, yellow and red) from MLSC. Same problem as my other post. They are cupped (downward) about 1/16". I cannot cut accurate dovetails with this setup. I don't recommend anyone by the MLCS All-In-One router plate if you are using an INCRA Dovetail jig on your router table. This plate may be OK when using wider boards but cutting the endgrain of a vertical board (I have to cut a dovetail rabbit this way) yields an uneven cut.
            RAGS
            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
            sigpic

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by ragswl4
              Received the replacement inserts (round, yellow and red) from MLSC. Same problem as my other post. They are cupped (downward) about 1/16". I cannot cut accurate dovetails with this setup. I don't recommend anyone by the MLCS All-In-One router plate if you are using an INCRA Dovetail jig on your router table. This plate may be OK when using wider boards but cutting the endgrain of a vertical board (I have to cut a dovetail rabbit this way) yields an uneven cut.
              I'd ask for a refund.

Comment

• hermit
                Established Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Somerset, PA, USA.

I went the homegrown route too, but I just used 1/2" mdf. Its cheap, and you can make all the different size holes you want. I used to have a picture, but it went away with my old computer. If you want I can post one later on.

Todd

Comment

• BT3 WOODOG
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2007

So JR, how's the router set-up going??? I received My plate,but haven't mounted it becouse the left over peice of counter top that I was going to use is worped!!! Oh well!!! After I orderd it from HF it went on sale for $15.00,so I e-mailed them and they credited Me the differance.Then I ordered one more! Later!

Comment

• BT3 WOODOG
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2007

Comment

• JR
                      The Full Monte
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Eugene, OR
                      • BT3000

Woodog, yer killin' me, man!

Ok, here it is. It's a whole new cabinet, table, and fence for my BT3000. The insert plate is plenty flat, with just a hint of crown. When I first mounted the router the plate warped, but a more diligent torquing technique fixed it right up.

The cabinet design was sent to me by billst, a new forum member, who was kind enough to send me his drawings. His much better version are linked in this thread http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...395#post242395 I followed Bill's design very closely, deviating only as necessary for the materials I had available. I made this one out of scrap 3/4" plywood and maple for the trim.

I followed the Wood Magazine design for the fence as closely as I could. I made the dadoes in perfect symmetry, then realized I had offset the insert plate. So some quick adjustments were in order, resulting in an unused set of dadoes in the fence support.

The materials were mainly shop scraps. I bought some hardware, including the knobs seen on the back of the fence (>$2 ea.!), the dust control port, the bit guard and the connector bolts, and some melmine trim. About $25.

I haven't done much work with this setup yet, which is I guess what woodog want to hear about. I did the dadoes for the fence after having made the table. That seemed to work just fine.

JR
                      Last edited by JR; 04-03-2007, 10:16 PM.
                      JR

Comment

• BT3 WOODOG
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jan 2007

Nice job JR! I like it!!!

Comment

Working...