What's the best way to clean the felt bag of a DC?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryan.s
    • Feb 2006
    • So Cal
    • Ridgid TS3650

What's the best way to clean the felt bag of a DC?

I have the 1 micron felt bag that comes with the delta 50-760 and was wondering what the best way to clean the felt thoroughly. I've already filled and emptied the plastic bag twice and have periodically shaken the felt to release some of the chips and saw dust. I was thinking possibly blowing the exterior of the felt bag with an air compressor but this method seems like it would take forever. Any suggestions? What do you guys that have DC's with felt upper bags normally do to clean them? TIA.
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I just slap mine around a little bit with a spatula to shake loose the big chunks. I suppose you could get a little carried away and turn it inside out, hang it over a clothes line or railing and beat it like an old rug. The latter method would certainly require the wearing of a respirator.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

A cannister filter and plastic lower bag! Honestly, I never did find a "good" way to clean the felt.... it's just a messy job.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• ryan.s
        • Feb 2006
        • So Cal
        • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by Dustmight
        A cannister filter and plastic lower bag! Honestly, I never did find a "good" way to clean the felt.... it's just a messy job.
        I guess there are different schools of thought on the ease of cleaning canisters versus bags. Some seem to say canisters are harder to clean than the felt. Never mind that I said that, don't want this thread to go off topic.

Comment

• whitecobra
          Established Member
          • Aug 2006
          • 3 Miles from Disney in Orlando
          • BT3K with most accessories

The simplest answer is you DO NOT

Part of the filtration comes form the small build up that is in the felt
          The felt itself is NOT sufficient to create the 1 micron you suggest you are getting
          That number comes from a THIN "film" covering the holes in the fabric

So to answer your question simply shake it and whatever easily falls off is all you need to remove

Of course you could call Wynn Environmental and talk to Rick or Dick and get a filter cartridge that you will be able to clean the way you want but that is a different thread
          Your 1 micron is most likely enough filtration for home use
          Dr D
          Newest site to learn woodworking, DIY and Home Renovation.
          www.onlineshopclass.com built by woodworkers for woodworkers and supported by the industry so everyone wins

If you are in the Orlando area contact me lets get together and talk saw dust (or food or anything else you like except sports)

My wife and I are National Food Judges so we CAN talk food with the best.

Dr Dave

Comment

• ryan.s
            • Feb 2006
            • So Cal
            • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by whitecobra
            The simplest answer is you DO NOT

Part of the filtration comes form the small build up that is in the felt
            The felt itself is NOT sufficient to create the 1 micron you suggest you are getting
            That number comes from a THIN "film" covering the holes in the fabric
            Interesting, never thought to consider that. Is it common knowledge that the filtration is helped by some build up? It would be interesting to read up on this some more, any links?

Thanks,
            Ryan

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ryan.s
              Interesting, never thought to consider that. Is it common knowledge that the filtration is helped by some build up? It would be interesting to read up on this some more, any links?

Thanks,
              Ryan
              that's pretty commonly mentioned, when talking about felt bags, that the filter cake is what makes the cut.

That's one more reason why i think pleated filter canisters are a better deal all around.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Turaj
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                • BT3000 (1998)

Ryan

I have had the same DC for over 2 years now and like others said I just shake it a bit (usualy when changing the lower bag) to reduce that film but not entirely clean it! I have not had any problem with air flow being reduced! HTH
                Turaj (in Toronto)
                "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• Russianwolf
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
                  • One of them there Toy saws

what they are saying is very true. I noticed the first couple times I used my DC that if I poked the bag dust would come out. After using it for a while, a poke doesn't get anything out. She's caked up and sucking the air clean.
                  Mike
                  Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Where the "cake" is really building up, I grasp the outside of the bag and collapse the bag until the inner surfaces are touching each other, then rub the two surfaces together.

I might do this every several days, and then I'll do a more thorough job of it before changing the lower bag.

For a while, I was taking off the top bag, turning it inside out, and shop vac-ing the inside. I haven't been doing that lately.

Regarding the cake build up doing the filtering, and how that compares to no cake -- there's way more speculation out there than real data, so I hesitate to add to it.

Regards,
                    Tom

Comment

• Bob Bassett
                      Established Member
                      • May 2003
                      • Shalimar, Florida, USA.

Every once in awhile I shove the felt bag down into the lower bag and then turn on the DC. That keeps the cake to a reasonable thickness for me.
                      Bob Bassett from Northwest Florida

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

Man I am really in the mood for cake after reading this thread.

Comment

• ryan.s
                          • Feb 2006
                          • So Cal
                          • Ridgid TS3650

A lot of good info guys, thanks.

I guess what orginally prompted the question is that when the DC unit was new the upper bag used to stay in the cylindrical shape even when the DC was turned off. After emptying the lower bag twice I noticed that when the DC is off now the upper bag collapses now and no longer keeps the cylindrical shape which made me think there is too much build up on the felt.

Comment

Working...