X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crash2510
    • Feb 2006
    • North Central Ohio

Hf Bandsaw I need your help

as p8ntblr is pondering about the mortiser I am wondering the same thing about the 14" hf bandsaw. The saw is currently on sale for 259 and with the coupon i can get it for a little over $190. Is this enough savings to spend the extra on getting it up to par with the ridgid or the grizzly?
    Phil In Ohio
    The basement woodworker
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

The "classic" 14" bandsaws are all pretty similar in design and construction. Where your mileage varies is in features and support. Desirable features include a good fence, tension release, powerful motor, bearing guides.

The Grizzly has everything you need (except riser) and good support. $$$

The Ridgid has some of what you need, and very good support. $$

The HF has only a little of what you need and lousy support. $

At $190 the HF is an incredible deal. It would be very hard to justify the more expensive BSs against that price.

Just to add confusion to the process, there are some new "European" designs gaining popularity. The Sears Craftsman line has some good choices in the 12" - 14" range. This category does not allow for riser block.

My 2c,
    JR
    JR

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

I have the HF 14" and have had good luck with it. Bought a Rockler table for(before I could build my own) and Timberwolf blades, I have just ordered the Powertwist Belt for it. It is a Pain in +++ to assemble as the instructions are junk, but there is plenty of help with the assembly on BT3 Central, just do a search. Mine has been fine and worth the price. You can always modify/add to it as your budget allows. My next addition will be the Tension release when the Woodshow comes to town. I also have mine on a mobile base and have modified the dust collection on it. But has a bare bones saw it is fine, just get good blades.

Tom

Comment

• theminor
        Established Member
        • Jun 2006
        • Dalton, GA
        • BT3100

Buy it!

Yes the assembly is a pain, but after a while it is sort of fun - I had to disassemble and re-assemble the base and motor mount 3 times before I got it right. After a while it was like a game trying to figure out how to make it face the right way!

For the price it is really a great saw, and there are plenty of things you can do to modify/upgrade.
        My Site

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

Phil, I paid around $220 several years ago and don't regret it. At that price I don't see how you can go wrong. Figure another $75-100 for link belts and 2 or 3 good blades. If you want a riser, Grizzly has one that fits for around $50. See, it's like turning wood, it never ends.

Comment

• bmyers
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2003
            • Fishkill, NY
            • bt 3100

Link Belt = $25 or so
            Real blades = $10-25
            Roller Guides = $20 (or cool blocks)
            Riser/Resaw block kit = $50

Feeling of finding a log on the side of the road and making it into a jewelry box? = Priceless

It's not a bad saw at all. It needs more TLC than others out of the box but once it's setup, it's a solid performer. I've been happy with mine.
            Last edited by bmyers; 03-02-2007, 05:23 PM.
            "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• ragswl4
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Winchester, Ca
              • C-Man 22114

Ryobi BS

You can buy the Ryobi 10" at the BORG for $249, then what? Sounds like a good deal to me, especially given the folks on the forum that own one and like it.
              RAGS
              Raggy and Me in San Felipe
              sigpic

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

Go to the post "Pimping my Bandsaw" farther down in this forum and see what can be done. The biggest hassle in assembling the saw is the motor mount the instructions have it backwards and the hole don't line up properly if I remember right. Think I drilled two new to make every thing fit. Every thing else went fine. I wore my official Chinese Red Army hat given to me by a fellow employee who defected, with the red star and pin of Chairman Mao. Have a picture of it some place. I know the saw was made in Taiwan but it was still fun.

Comment

• mikeinkcmo
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2007
                  • where jessy james lived

Bought mine for $289 about 13 years ago. Used it in a commercial setting for about 6 months and made the money 5 times over. I have installed a riser block and 3 horse motor since I brought it home and use it for resawing or whatever I want. Buy it again in a heart beat. Contrary to what many nay sayers would have you believe, HF has excelent product support, and great return policy. THink thats one of the reasons they are so big after 30 years in business. You can buy prettier stuff, and certainly more expensive, but their stuff is just as servicable as most any importer. Ya just gotta know what to look for.

Comment

• John Hunter
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
                    • BT3000 & BT3100

I have the HF 14" and have been very happy with it. Just first throw away the assembly instructions and the blade that comes with it. Buy a Timberwolf blade and you are good to go.
                    John Hunter

Comment

• TheRic
                      • Jun 2004
                      • West Central Ohio
                      • bt3100

Harbor Freight has 2 different wood working 14" band saws? Which one is the better one to get? Or should I say which one to STAY away from?
                      Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• TB Roye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

The are 2 models one is the single speed and the other T32208 is a 4 speed. other than that they are the same. I like most of the others have the 32208, 4 speed. I have never changed the speed on mine it is set the for the fastest speed and I never touch it. I think the single speed has a higher speed than the 4 speed, why? probably has to do with the pulleys.

Tom

Comment

• Popeye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2003
                          • Woodbine, Ga
                          • Grizzly 1023SL

Originally posted by TheRic
                          Harbor Freight has 2 different wood working 14" band saws? Which one is the better one to get? Or should I say which one to STAY away from?
                          Same saw, different pulley set up, buy the single speed, unless you think you may want to cut metal at some time or another. I converted my 4 speed to single to get rid of a belt and pulley. Pat
                          Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• Crash2510
                            • Feb 2006
                            • North Central Ohio

well guys I took the plunge today. The 4 speed(only one in stock) cost a grand total of $193 out the door. Thanks Ken for the 30&#37; off saved a boatload. Instructions were terriffic followed them to a tee and had the saw set up in only a few hours.
                            Well maybe the instructions were not that great but I still assembled it in only a few hours. Pretty straight forward and got motor mount right the first time. I could not resist myself and cut through a few things with it real quick. It did a decent job in pine. There is a little vibration that I will probably be asking you about tommorow, but other than that I am very happy with the purchase. Now to buy a riser and some timberwolf blades

thank you guys for all your help so far
                            Phil In Ohio
                            The basement woodworker

Comment

• TheRic
                              • Jun 2004
                              • West Central Ohio
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by Crash2510
                              well guys I took the plunge today. .....
                              Interesting choice of word!!
                              Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

Working...