• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scoly
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

HF 18 guage brad nailer?

Have the nailer and like it but was wondering if others use the hf brads or buy some other brand? I've use the 2" from hf and had problems with them hitting hard spots and curling out the sides of panels. Is this just typical of the 18guage or is the quality not as good as say the Bostich from lowes?
    Thanks
    Steve
    It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.
  • 4estgump
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
    • Ryobi BT3000

Steve
    I have used the Stanley, and Bostich Brads in my HF and they work good. I have had only 2 jams so far. No bust outs yet.
    Hope This Helps
    4est

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'd say that was typical of 18 ga. brads from anyone.

I use craftsman and senco brads in a craftsman brad nailer and they do that too, just be careful and aware of what you are nailing into.

Usually the problems with bad nails would be jamming.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• scoly
        Established Member
        • Jun 2003
        • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Thanks. Probably just hoping it was the hf brad. Gonna try the Bostich next along with a shorter length.
        Steve
        It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.

Comment

• rockjaw
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2003
          • Tulare, CA, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3100

Shorter length helps some but I've tried Stanly, Bostich and HF and went back to HF brand for cost reasons. They all were comparable in blowout - not one jam yet in 10's of thousands of firings from any brand. As mentioned earlier, keep your hands away from the area that you are pinning in case of blowout. I've had them turn nearly 90 degrees after just entering the wood.

Comment

• Perfidiajoe
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Copiague, New York, USA.

I use that same nailer w/ HF nails, & w/ PC nails, They work about the same. For the money it's a good tool, the problem is the brad will follow the grain of the wood, as I found out the hard way, I put one through my finger a couple of months ago. Safety first, I'll know better next time. Joe
            It's got to be us, because there are a lot more of them!

Comment

• scorrpio
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I got an HF nailer/stapler ($20), an excellent bargain. Used it with both HF and PC brads, no problem. No jams, and I think I only once had a 2" do a 'side exit'.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

there's two things you can do w.r.t. blowouts and brad nailers.

1) Be aware of grain. try to tilt the brad towards obvious grain, in other words try to hit grain lines at oblique angles (more like 90 degrees) rather than hitting the grain lines at shallow angles.

2) keep your hands at least 2" away from the brad entry point - (with a 2" brad nailer) for what now must be obvious reasons. That include from the top. I've seen pictures and heard stories of brads turned 180 dgrees and come back out the top! (I consider that a brad fired as shown can exit anywhere inside a 4" ball-shaped space.)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-26-2007, 06:45 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bthere
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Alpharetta, GA

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  there's two thoings you can do w.r.t. blowouts and brad nailers.

1) Be aware of grain. try to tilt the brad towards obvious grain, in other words try to hit grain lines at oblique angles (more like 90 degrees) rather than hitting the grain lines at shallow angles.

2) keep your hands at least 2" away from the brad entry point - (with a 2" brad nailer) for what now must be obvious reasons. That include from the top. I've seen pictures and heard stories of brads turned 180 dgrees and come back out the top!
                  This is one of the reasons that you absolutely must wear eye protection. These are some of the handiest devices and also some of the sneakiest for causing bodily damage.

Also, hearing protection should be madatory with nail guns. They are louder than most other shop tools, but you aren't as aware because the impulse is so short.

Comment

• Kristofor
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2004
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by bthere
                    Also, hearing protection should be madatory with nail guns. They are louder than most other shop tools, but you aren't as aware because the impulse is so short.
                    Really? My brad nailer doesn't feel like it's loud at all. A gun shot is quick as well, but feels much louder. I don't have a sound pressure meter to check, but when the compressor comes on that feels several times louder.

I know that ear damage is based on loudness and duration. How do sub-second noises that don't seem loud work on that curve?

Thanks, Kristofor.

Comment

• scoly
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

Thanks for all the response. Tried the bostich in shorter lengths and found what all of you seem to feel. Not much, if any, difference. Think the description LCHIEN showed is the best info yet on these brads guns. Thanks. Will try to follow your directions in the future.
                      Steve

Comment

Working...