• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bdk5
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2004
    • Chicago, IL, USA.

Freud LU85R012

I have the Delta twin laser 12" mitersaw with the stock blade. I haven't had any complaints about the stock blade, but I haven't had anything to compare it to and the Freud 12" Ultimate Cutoff blade is available from Amazon for $64 after discounts. Is the Freud such a drastic improvement that it's worth getting, even though I don't have any complaints about the stock blade?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

genereally the blade that comes with a miter saw (maybe 28-40 tooth for a10"saw, a bit mroe on a 12" saw) is not the ideal blade, but one that is inexpensive and will cut, so that you are set to go.

A top end Freud cutoff blade will almost assuredly give an improvement over the stock blade - smoother, cleaner cut with less splitering.

But, if you are happy with the present blade, why change?

standard blade described above.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• MBG
      • Apr 2003
      • Chicago, Illinois.
      • Craftsman 21829

I was just about to post this as a bargain. I have this blade and not only is it splinter free but the cross cut end is glass like smooth. It's not for thick stock though.

Mike

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Your opinion of blade performance is subjective and the degree of difference from one blade to another is hard to quantify. There should be a noticeable improvement from the LU85 though....most users rave about it. It's a well made blade with some design advantages for crosscuts.

Delta does have some decent blades but I doubt the stock blade in your saw is one of them. Ironically, I was nosing around Lowe's last night and noticed two new Delta blades on display. I spotted the design of the laser cut expansion slots and thought they looked like DeWalt slots...then I glimpsed at the model #s and they are indeed relabled DeWalt series 60 blades made in the UK, which are excellent IME. The blades were the 36-7657 (40T for $40), and the 36-7646 (60T for $50), which equate to the DW7657 and DW7646. Prior to B&D's buyout of Pentair a little less than 2 years ago (which put Delta and DeWalt on the same team), the better Delta Industrial line was made by Leitz in Germany. Given this info, I'm wondering if the stock Delta blade is now a relabeled series 20 DeWalt...?
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...