• Show
Clear All
  • jspelbring
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Belleville, IL, USA.
    • Craftsman 22114

Bridgewood

Well, it's new bandsaw time. I have the HF, and it's been OK, but I am moving more towards a bandsaw centric shop. I've narrowed my choices to these:

Minimax MM16
    Bridgewood PBS 440
    Agazzani B18

Has anyone got any experience with the Bridgewood saws? Right now, they seem like the most bang for the buck.

(and just because I'm becoming a bandsaw junkie, don't think that I'm about to abandon everyone - I like this board a lot!)

Thanks,

-Jon
    To do is to be.
  • SARGE..g-47

Howdy Jon..

The Bridgewood PBS series is made by the same manufacturer of the Laguna 16 HD. It's basically the same saw with a slightly smaller HP Baldor motor than the LT 16" HD and it has roller guides instead of ceramic which I prefer personally. The hoss power is sufficient on it also as I see it.

You couldn't go wrong with any of the well made "Italian Stallions" you mentioned as all would be fine editions to the shop. And that is not to say that all of those being well made don't have a few quirks here and there. But nothing that would classify them as a major detriment.

Good luck and Happy Re-Saw...

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jspelbring
      Well, it's new bandsaw time. I have the HF, and it's been OK, but I am moving more towards a bandsaw centric shop. I've narrowed my choices to these:

Minimax MM16
      Bridgewood PBS 440
      Agazzani B18

Has anyone got any experience with the Bridgewood saws? Right now, they seem like the most bang for the buck.

(and just because I'm becoming a bandsaw junkie, don't think that I'm about to abandon everyone - I like this board a lot!)

Thanks,

-Jon
      Ooooh, I've seen some of the prices - you're talking about spending 5-10X the price of the HF! Wish I could say I had a lot of experience with them, but I can't. I just learned what an Agazanni is last weekend. Good luck and have fun with your "Italian stallions".
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jspelbring
        Established Member
        • Nov 2004
        • Belleville, IL, USA.
        • Craftsman 22114

Thanks

Sarge,

Thanks for the info. I pretty much eliminated the Lagunas based on their poor customer service. I can't find much on the Agazzanis, though the few reviews that I've seen are favorable. The MM16 has a larger motor, where the Bridgewood has a slightly larger throat - plus it's $600 less than the MM16. Money's not the prime consideration, but still... $600 buys a lot of assembled sawdust.
        To do is to be.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Good morning Jon...

You're quite welcome, sir. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 3 HP Baldor opposed to the 4.8 HP FEG on the Mini. I have the Steel City 18" with a 2 HP and it has handled anything I've thrown at it with both re-saw and rip. And that includes 11" re-saw of white oak so far (the SC capability is 12" which is sufficient for me) and 4" stock I can't rip on my TS.

I just went to the Willke web-site and saw the price has been lowered at the moment. Whoa.. it was around $1995 when I was in the market and ended up with the SC. That is good if you need that extra 4" of re-saw. I am not a turner and don't do that many mass logs that would justify over 12".. so I found the SC 18" with $100 rebate to be my machine. It is built "like a hoss" for a Pacific Rim saw by guys who know machines.

At that price though, if I needed that extra 4" I would not just consider it.. I would POUNCE on it! Pocket the extra $$ and put it where there is more need as you stated.

Regards...

Comment

• jspelbring
            Established Member
            • Nov 2004
            • Belleville, IL, USA.
            • Craftsman 22114

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
            Good morning Jon...

You're quite welcome, sir. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 3 HP Baldor opposed to the 4.8 HP FEG on the Mini. I have the Steel City 18" with a 2 HP and it has handled anything I've thrown at it with both re-saw and rip. And that includes 11" re-saw of white oak so far (the SC capability is 12" which is sufficient for me) and 4" stock I can't rip on my TS.

I just went to the Willke web-site and saw the price has been lowered at the moment. Whoa.. it was around $1995 when I was in the market and ended up with the SC. That is good if you need that extra 4" of re-saw. I am not a turner and don't do that many mass logs that would justify over 12".. so I found the SC 18" with $100 rebate to be my machine. It is built "like a hoss" for a Pacific Rim saw by guys who know machines.

At that price though, if I needed that extra 4" I would not just consider it.. I would POUNCE on it! Pocket the extra $$ and put it where there is more need as you stated.

Regards...
            Sarge,

I'm confused. What extra 4"? I thought that the SC and Bridgewood both had 12" resaw - did I miss something?

I went out to Woodcraft last night and looked at the SS18 and the Rikon 18. Both are nice, but I think that for the price, I'll probably go for the BW 440 real soon now.
            To do is to be.

Comment

• jspelbring
              Established Member
              • Nov 2004
              • Belleville, IL, USA.
              • Craftsman 22114

Rats

Well, I just called Wilke. They're sold out of the 440, so when the new ones arrive, it'll be $2195. <sigh>.
              To do is to be.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Sorry to hear that as you missed a real deal on the 440. I will correct two thing I stated as my memory doesn't seem to hold for long periods as it used too. ha.. ha...

The 440 is a 12" depth of cut as the SC as you stated and the price was either $2199 or $2099 when I was shopping it. That is a missed deal indeed, even if you have to pay freight. If you can pick it up, I would as I have heard Wilke tends to be high on shipping truck freight. Just what I have heard and I cannot confirm that personally.

Regards and again sorry about missing the deal.. but life goes on!

Comment

• Holbren
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Heathrow, FL.

I had a BW cabinet saw before I sold it and it was a great saw. The PBS440 is supposed to be an awesome saw too but I've never seen or used one.

I do have an MM16 though and it is a beast. Don't expect the best fit and finish though that you've ever seen because of the price. It is almost dissapointing to some but the saw is an industrial tool made to last a lifetime. The telescoping blade guard will probably need adjusting. The cast iron used to be "swirled/grooved" like their other tools but they polished them up to help address the US market.
                  Brian
                  Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                  "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                  www.holbren.com

Comment

• BrazosJake
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Benbrook, TX.
                    • Emerson-built Craftsman

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    Ooooh, I've seen some of the prices - you're talking about spending 5-10X the price of the HF! Wish I could say I had a lot of experience with them, but I can't. I just learned what an Agazanni is last weekend. Good luck and have fun with your "Italian stallions".

LOL!

That is a bit like trading in your Yugo for a Hummer.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Ha.. ha... I just got a chuckle out of your post to JS, Brian. Now that's telling it like it is about the your saw (the MM 16.. IMO the best of the best Itallion Stallions being marketed to the general public). Yep.. it's a scaled down and dressed up (a little) version of the "baby" commercial 24" BS. Most standard commercials in factory use are 36" and weight around a ton.

You forgot to tell him that to get the bottom door completely open, you have to remove the rear built on caster wheel. And that you have a hard time seeing the top Euro guide bearings adjustments because of that tele-scoping guide bar extended down too far to get it out of Italy (Euro safety rules), affectionately known to the Mini Max tech boys as the "Armadilla Tail". Thinking you will get a high tech answer as to how to correct that when you call, you get to hear... "Cut off the last 2" below the anchor point with a hack-saw and file off the rough edge". ha.. ha...

The truth as Holbren is trying to tell you is ALL BS's have quirks, including the highly tauted, expensive and well made Itallion Stallions. You aren't paying that much to get the beauty of a Show Horse. You're paying for a snorting.. well muscled Clydesdale that don't know when "quittin" time" is and is bred to "get er done"........

Well done Brian. The truth is out there somewhere and sometimes you find it regardless if it's the truth you're looking for or not!

Ha.. ha....
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2007, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

I've played with the PBS at Wilke. It's a heck of a machine! It sounds like you are getting away from a tablesaw focus and wanting to primarily use a BS which I think can argue for the money spent on these top of the line bandsaws.
                        In the Fine Woodworking shoot out the PBS won hands down. I'll try to get my hands on the article and give you an overview. I know the MM and Agazz were in the review.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2005
                          • York, PA, USA.

Ok, the MM was not in the mix. The article I reference is in the 2006 FWW tool issue.
                          BW PBS-440, Laguna LT18, Grizzly G0506, Agazzani B-18, A Craftsman, Delta 28-682, General 90-270, Jet JWBS-18X, Woodtek 118-199.

"PBS had the top ratings in the resaw test and the lowest amount of frame deflection. It comes with a very good rip fence and a sturdy table. The Laguna is an excellent saw, too, with the best guides and the highest resaw capacity."

I will PM you a thread from another site which contains a MM16 owner who wishes he had the PBS-440.

It will be interesting to see which way you go. I am in the bandsaw market myself, but I am not stepping that far up. I believe a lower end Rikon 18" or similar will fit my bill, however I don't have a bandsaw centric shop!

Edit: WOW! Didn't realize the PBS-440 was down to $1799!!!! That is the type of thing that I do NOT need to know!
                          Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 02-17-2007, 01:45 AM. Reason: Good Sticker Shock!

Comment

• Slik Geek
                            • Dec 2006
                            • Lake County, Illinois
                            • Ryobi BT-3000

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
                            I am in the bandsaw market myself, but I am not stepping that far up. I believe a lower end Rikon 18" or similar will fit my bill, however I don't have a bandsaw centric shop!
                            Jeffrey,
                            Wood magazine tested bandsaws in same class you seek in their November 2005 issue. (Perhaps you already know this). I guess it is a little dated, as the Rikon 10-340 that they gave "top tool" honors to has been replaced by the 10-345. Regarding the 10-340, they had nothing negative to say, and gave it an "A" in every category except blade guides (support and ease of adjustment), where they gave it an "A-".

Comment

Working...