• Show
Clear All
  • 4estgump
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
    • Ryobi BT3000

Best Bandsaw Blade For Resawing ?

I have a Craftsman 12" bandsaw sander. I have never done any resawing on it.
    My question is what is the best blade for me to buy? I have a 1/4" by 80" with 4 or 5 teeth per in. on it now.

All Help Appreciated
    4est
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Usually for resawing you use the widest blade you can.

A saw of that size probably will not take over a 1/2" blade. Due to wheels, frame strength, guides, tension springs, etc.

With a 1/2" blade you will want to have no more than 4 teeth per inch, probably 3 tpi is ideal. That allows the cuttings to have some room to be carried out of the cut. Too small a gullet (space beween teeth) will cause the cuttings to ball up and keep the teeth away from the wood.

So look for a 1/2" blade with 3 tpi. If you can't find one ready made in your length, most bandsaw blade specialty shops will make one to order, no extra charge. Like www.suffolkmachinery.com. They make timberwolf blades, a very fine product.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-11-2007, 03:11 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• John Hunter
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Lake Station, IN, USA.
      • BT3000 & BT3100

I would go with a Timberwolf 3TPI 1/2" blade
      Last edited by John Hunter; 02-11-2007, 11:53 PM. Reason: pulled the trigger to soon.
      John Hunter

Comment

• linear
        • May 2004
        • DeSoto, KS, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

I'm pretty sure I have the same saw you have, and I have had very satisfactory results with the 1/2" 3tpi timberwolf. I've also run the 1/2" 4tpi and would steer you toward the 3tpi.
        --Rob

sigpic

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

Timberwolves are my favorite blades, except for resawing. Call Iturra and ask for their version of the Woodslicer is my suggestion. Woodslicers and the Iturra branded version are the best I have used.
          I use a 1/2" 3 tpi on my HF 14" saw.
          ken

Comment

• drumpriest
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
            • Powermatic PM 2000

+1 on the woodslicer, though I've done it successfully with Timberwolf.
            Keith Z. Leonard
            Go Steelers!

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I'll join Ken and Keith on the Woodslicer or the equivalent design from Iturri. I have not tried Iturri's blade yet, but if it is what they say it is (copy of Woodslicer at a cheaper price) it would be the more economic purchase. I have run the 1/2" WS 3 tpi for years and now run a 3/4" WS (newly added to the line) after acquiring a 18" saw.

Regards...

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I'll join Ken and Keith on the Wooslicer or the equivalent design from Iturri. I have not tried Iturri's blade yet, but if it is what they say it is (copy of Woodslicer at a cheaper price) it would be the more economic purchase. I have run the 1/2" WS 3 tpi for years and now run a 3/4" WS (newly added to the line) after acquiring a 18" saw.

Regards...

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

Don't ask me how the double post occured, "computer illiterate" says it all!

Ha.. ha...

Comment

• Tom Miller
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • Twin Cities, MN
                    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by linear
                    I'm pretty sure I have the same saw you have, and I have had very satisfactory results with the 1/2" 3tpi timberwolf. I've also run the 1/2" 4tpi and would steer you toward the 3tpi.
                    Rob comes closest to addressing the issue I was going to bring up...your saw's ability to tension the blade adequately. Sounds like it should be fine, but if you can't tension a 1/2" blade adequately, then you'd be better off with a 3/8".

If/when you call Iturra or Suffolk, tell them the exact model of saw you have, and what you want to do -- they'll steer you to the right blade.

Regards,
                    Tom

Comment

Working...