• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
    Loring had an interesting idea, something that might turn out to be a popular service/benefit to the forum's members.

What we all could do is if one of us has a piece of equipment that one of us is interested in, one of us (within that person's geographical area could invite that member over to "play" with that specific "toy".

Maybe this could be handled as aa new sub-forum just as the classifieds are presented.

I know I would enjoy both showing off my "shop" and the tool someone's interested in, along with meeting fellow (and female) members. Sort of another way to make this great site even more special.

What do you people think.

BTW, I have the 14" delux Rikon but it seems that Lee lives way too far to come for a lunch visit.

Maybe we could turn this into a poll. What do you think, Loring. You're the one who planted the idea into my head. Oh, I agree with you about the Rikon, haven't really started to do any real work, but it seems well worth the money.

Bruce
    I'm looking for the board members with the Laguna or Mini-Max saws.
    I want to go hang out at his house and drink beer and meet his friends.
    Clearly they have unlimited budgets.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • York, PA, USA.

If you are gonna spend $800 on the PM then you gotta go to the 18" Rikon on sale at WC for $999. I really want one of these things.

Edit : Hmmmm . Shipping and tax take the Rikon on up there. How about the 18" Jet from Amazon for $1199 - $100 rebate w/ free shipping = $1099 delivered?
      Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 02-12-2007, 11:06 PM.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        I'm looking for the board members with the Laguna or Mini-Max saws.
        I want to go hang out at his house and drink beer and meet his friends.
        Clearly they have unlimited budgets.
        Come on over to my place. Only 10 minutes from Wilke Machinery and we can go play with some BW PBS's which is right there in the game with MM, Laguna and all the other Italians.

I offered Wilke $1000 for a PBS one time and they turned me down for some reason.

BTW how did $995 suddenly become reasonible to me for the 17" ABS??!?!?!?!
        Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 02-12-2007, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Jeffrey Schronce
          Come on over to my place. Only 10 minutes from Wilke Machinery and we can go play with some BW PBS's which is right there in the game with MM, Laguna and all the other Italians.

I offered Wilke $1000 for a PBS one time and they turned me down for some reason.

BTW how did $995 suddenly become reasonible to me for the 17" ABS??!?!?!?!

Good. Am I ignorant and should I know what a BW PBS is and an ABS is?
          Some kind of Band Saw?
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            Good. Am I ignorant and should I know what a BW PBS is and an ABS is?
            Some kind of Band Saw?
            Sorry! BW = Bridgewood. BW makes the PBS which is a very highly regarded Italian made BS and frequently tops the charts over MM, Laguna, Agazzi, etc. ABS is the lower end line.

Again, sorry about the abbreviations. I'm taking them too far!

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

Originally posted by LarryG
              We've talked about this a few times. It is true that the driver doesn't HAVE to do anything to help you unload. I think this is in their union contract. So the vendors always include this disclaimer.

However, in both my experience and that of many others here, the drivers are typically exactly like the rest of us: they just want to get their work day done and get home to Momma and the ball game. I've never, EVER, had a common carrier truck driver refuse to help me get my item off his truck, whether it was mine personally or one of the frequent freight shipments I accepted in a former job.

In fact, when my G0555 was delivered, the driver's attitude as he single-handedly manhandled the box down to the ground was like, "I got this, get outa my way before you hurt yourself."

Nevertheless they CAN refuse to help, hence the warning and the need to be prepared.
              There is a liability issue also. if they drop it off of their truck it's their fault. if you drop it then it is your fault.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• lrr
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Fort Collins, Colorado
                • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen

[...]

What we all could do is if one of us has a piece of equipment that one of us is interested in, one of us (within that person's geographical area could invite that member over to "play" with that specific "toy".

[...]

BTW, I have the 14" delux Rikon but it seems that Lee lives way too far to come for a lunch visit.

Bruce
                Hey Bruce -- thanks for the invite, but if Nanuet is anywhere near Oswego, then I'd consider myself too much of a "winter wimp" to come there, unless maybe I was back that way around the 4th of July! Our snowstorms were bad, I thought, until I saw what was going on back east.

Anyway, I came really close to getting the Rikon 14" at Woodcraft. The I thought about the 18", then I went back to my first pick -- the Powermatic, since it still had the $100 rebate (and the cool toy truck ...). Turns out the guy at Woodcraft did not charge me shipping, which I thought was store policy. Unfortunately, Amazon dropped their free shipping, and was out of Powermatics anyway.

I am thrilled to have moved into a real saw, and my little Delta will get put on the hobby bench for fine/detail work. I'm anxious to start doing some real bandsaw work, plus resawing, something I've never had the capability to do.

Now if I can just find the neigbor's teenager to help me carry it down to my shop!
                Last edited by lrr; 02-17-2007, 08:34 PM.
                Lee

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 2003
                  • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                  • BT3100

Lee,

Just to put things in the correct perspective, Nanuet is about 35 Miles north of Manhattan. Colder than NYC, but not like Oswego, which is closer to Canada and the dreaded lake effect blizzards they've been having.

But back to the thread. For some reason, Woodcraft only charged me $20.00 extra for "lift gate" common carrier delivery. The driver even had a pallet jack and rolled the saw, one "large" box strapped and wrapped to a NEW pallet. Wish I had a fireplace to burn the pallet in, great wood for fireplaces.

So with low shipping charges, and no sales tax, the total cost was a "mere" $769.99. Now, considering two years without eating lunch, that's not too bad of a price for one heck of a saw.

Bruce
                  "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                  Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...